Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2020 - Cockatoo, Coleman, Sharp, Smith

AFL Club Focus

What should the Brisbane Lions target this off-season?

• More ruck cover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Key forwards

• Inside mids

• Classy wingers

• Speed off half-back

• Other

• Total voters
Brisbane 2019 club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
BRISBANE

15 out of contract according to my data.

I'd re-sign the following: Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker (rolling one year deals), Christensen (re-signing as depth), Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner

Robinson still such an important cog to the Lions team. Even if it's a short term extension there's no way that a new contract re-signing wouldn;t be imminent. Corey Lyons might just be a one year re-signing but is doing the right things in the NEAFL. Future part of the midfield no boubt.

Walker, Christensen and Skinner I'm re-signing for the sake of depth and to top up that NEAFL side further. If they can keep Eagles at the Lions NEAFL side while de-listing him thats a positive.

TRADE

Ben Keays is one of those players that just needs a regular opportunity that he can't get right now at Brisbane. Would be a shame to trade away a Academy player and than see him flourish knowing the time and energy that was put into him from juniors however I think if he was available there'd be a few clubs that would have a look.

Nick Robbo is a dependable role player but is being forced out more by the youthful defense. See what you can get for him otherwise offer a one year deal maybe.

Lewis Taylor is part of the pre Fagan era of players who have been overtaken by players traded in or drafted. Fair fall off the radar from Taylor but a club in need of a small forward could have a look.

Tom Cutler is more likely a de-list than trade. Take what you can get.

DE - LIST

I'm de-listing Lester who is a restricted free agent. Would fit in well at the Suns if he wanted to stay in QLD. De-listing Hinge may be a bit harsh but I'd have in the category of de-list and re-rookie at best.

Ballenden like most young talls has taken time to grow into his body. Worth a re-rookie if he wants it. Matt Eagles would be handy to keep at the NEAFL Lions but doesn't seem to be part of the future in the AFL side.

Hodge on a rolling one year deal if he doesn't retire and cut the losses with Bastinac unfortunately. Next round of draftees would overtaken him pretty quickly.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
BRISBANE

15 out of contract according to my data.

I'd re-sign the following: Mitch Robinson, Josh Walker (rolling one year deals), Christensen (re-signing as depth), Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner

Robinson still such an important cog to the Lions team. Even if it's a short term extension there's no way that a new contract re-signing wouldn;t be imminent. Corey Lyons might just be a one year re-signing but is doing the right things in the NEAFL. Future part of the midfield no boubt.

Walker, Christensen and Skinner I'm re-signing for the sake of depth and to top up that NEAFL side further. If they can keep Eagles at the Lions NEAFL side while de-listing him thats a positive.

TRADE

Ben Keays is one of those players that just needs a regular opportunity that he can't get right now at Brisbane. Would be a shame to trade away a Academy player and than see him flourish knowing the time and energy that was put into him from juniors however I think if he was available there'd be a few clubs that would have a look.

Nick Robbo is a dependable role player but is being forced out more by the youthful defense. See what you can get for him otherwise offer a one year deal maybe.

Lewis Taylor is part of the pre Fagan era of players who have been overtaken by players traded in or drafted. Fair fall off the radar from Taylor but a club in need of a small forward could have a look.

Tom Cutler is more likely a de-list than trade. Take what you can get.

DE - LIST

I'm de-listing Lester who is a restricted free agent. Would fit in well at the Suns if he wanted to stay in QLD. De-listing Hinge may be a bit harsh but I'd have in the category of de-list and re-rookie at best.

Ballenden like most young talls has taken time to grow into his body. Worth a re-rookie if he wants it. Matt Eagles would be handy to keep at the NEAFL Lions but doesn't seem to be part of the future in the AFL side.

Hodge on a rolling one year deal if he doesn't retire and cut the losses with Bastinac unfortunately. Next round of draftees would overtaken him pretty quickly.
Mitch Robinson and Ballenden both signed new two year contracts.

We have 10 senior and 3 rookies out of contract.

Very unlikely Lester is delisted. Most likely moved to the rookie list. He’s part of the leadership group, very highly regarded internally, and is married to Zorko’s sister.

Cutler will be traded to a Melbourne team.

Taylor wants to stay in Brisbane, but might be trade bait. Similar with Walker and Robertson. Of these three, Walker is the most important.

Skinner probably goes on to the rookie list.

Lyons and Keays both under threat from current and new draftees.

Eagles and Bastinac will delisted.

Hinge could go either way.

Hodge will retire, and Christensen likely signs a one year contract.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Very unlikely Lester is delisted. Most likely moved to the rookie list. He’s part of the leadership group, very highly regarded internally, and is married to Zorko’s sister.

We're on a similar page which is good. Like you said only reason I can see Lester leaving is if he gets an offer from the Suns that is too good to refuse.

I'm aware of how high he is rated highly internally however he is probably fallen a way behind in the strongest team. Would be a stop gap player for use when injury strikes.

Out of interest is he the NEAFL captain?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
We're on a similar page which is good. Like you said only reason I can see Lester leaving is if he gets an offer from the Suns that is too good to refuse.

I'm aware of how high he is rated highly internally however he is probably fallen a way behind in the strongest team. Would be a stop gap player for use when injury strikes.

Out of interest is he the NEAFL captain?
Considering our team has had the fewest injuries in AFL history (jokes) it’s been pretty hard for any of our reserves to crack the best 22. Yet Lester has played 9 games this year.

He’s the first mid sized defender to come in if there’s an injury, and is ahead of Robertson for the same role.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Corey Lyons might just be a one year re-signing but is doing the right things in the NEAFL. Future part of the midfield no boubt.

Walker, Christensen and Skinner I'm re-signing for the sake of depth and to top up that NEAFL side further.
Agreed on Corey, he's going to be a serious player in a year or so I reckon.

Little bit harsh on Christensen perhaps, he's best 22 at the moment. Of course we can upgrade him, but he's certainly earning his place in the first team at present.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Agreed on Corey, he's going to be a serious player in a year or so I reckon.

Little bit harsh on Christensen perhaps, he's best 22 at the moment. Of course we can upgrade him, but he's certainly earning his place in the first team at present.

AC certainly more deserving of a list spot than say Taylor.

If Christensen and Cameron can regularly work well together inside 50 with the explosive Rayner also it is definitely a fire cracker forward group of small to medium forwards.

Has been sent back to the 2nd’s at times this year but hasn’t he, or was that recovery from injury?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AC certainly more deserving of a list spot than say Taylor.

If Christensen and Cameron can regularly work well together inside 50 with the explosive Rayner also it is definitely a fire cracker forward group of small to medium forwards.

Has been sent back to the 2nd’s at times this year but hasn’t he, or was that recovery from injury?

As Johnny Bananas said Bundy has been back in the team post bye and has been playing a good role up forward - has applied plenty of pressure and kicked 12 goals in 8 games. Definitely earned another one-year deal.

Was looking for recent list management news about the lions and got this instead, written for the AFL website and syndicated to the lions' website.

28 players signed beyond 2021 and only 6 out of contract. Confidence level is high in Brisbane these days :)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Was looking for recent list management news about the lions and got this instead, written for the AFL website and syndicated to the lions' website.

28 players signed beyond 2021 and only 6 out of contract. Confidence level is high in Brisbane these days :)

Expect a couple of our current out of contract players to sign one year deals. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 10 to 12 players on our list who are out of contract at the end of next season.

AFL.com.au has listed Nick Robertson in their trade news for tonight, I suspect Freo would be interested in him, hes a WA boy and out of the best 22 at the moment. Could slot into their backhalf/midfield.
Apparently the rumour is GWS.

Apparently the rumour is GWS.

Yeah just saw, interesting, wonder if they think they'll get him cheap or potentially free if hes delisted? I dont think we'd delist him personally, we would be more likely to keep him around as a rookie listed depth player, but we wouldnt begrudge him a trade to a club thats able to give him consistent games.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of this morning. Links are to our player threads where we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Ryan Bastinac, Allen Christensen, Tom Cutler, Matt Eagles, Mitch Hinge, Luke Hodge, Ben Keays, Ryan Lester, Corey Lyons, Nick Robertson, Sam Skinner, Lewis Taylor, Josh Walker

"Hodge is tipped to retire at season's end – maybe after a fifth premiership – but nothing is confirmed yet. Christensen is in negotiations on a new contract and will be at the Lions in 2020, while Lester is also expected to continue. Robertson's played only four senior matches this year and has interest from multiple clubs if he elects to seek greater opportunity. The Lions have applied to the AFL to retain Eagles as a Category B rookie for a fourth season next year. Walker has been in and out of the senior side a bit, while Cutler and Taylor fell out of favour this season and may explore their options."

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any word on whether Brisbane got the allowance to retain Eagles?

Watching him dominate in the NEAFL Grand Final, he'll be rookied somewhere if not Brisbane. 29 years old but a mountain and would do well as a depth player at a contender or a stopgap at a young side waiting for a kid to develop.

Here's an interesting problem - the Lions currently have picks 16, 21, 34, 44, 52, 88. Now #88 is obviously useless, but that's five viable picks and currently no free list slots. How do they make up the ground? Harsh delistings? 2 for 1 pony up deals?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Here's an interesting problem - the Lions currently have picks 16, 21, 34, 44, 52, 88. Now #88 is obviously useless, but that's five viable picks and currently no free list slots. How do they make up the ground? Harsh delistings? 2 for 1 pony up deals?
David Noble recently said that delistings will be done post the trade period, we currently still have 12 players out of contract ie. Bastinac, Taylor, Cutler, Keays, Skinner, Robertson, C.Lyons, Christensen, Eagles, Hinge, Walker and Lester.

Back