Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
My Lions Kit and logo designs

Design elements included:
- The Brisbane Bears V (as seen on guernseys and the later logo)
- The "Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club" tagline to show that we are one club but acknowledge our history
- BBFFC classic Lion
- The creation date of each club, 1883 and 1986 to reflect its heritage on the new logo
- Four different colour schemes, two done in current colours, one in Fitzroy's colours, the other in Brisbane's.
- All included colour schemes have associated logo.
-An "inverse" blue scheme (potentially for playing teams like Sydney/GC away)

Last edited:
I'd love that ALT kit as a home kit, great balance and mix of colours. Big fan of the new logo too, (although the text path seems to be a tiny bit off compared to the scroll contours).

Not a fan, both the guernseys and logos are too busy. I prefer the yoke. Also the AFL wouldn't let us use blue shorts for the away.
I appreciate that - obviously it's to honour both past team design elements. The blue shorts are a bit unique as the Lions are the only team that has ever merged, so there might be some leeway given to the team playing in traditional Fitzroy colours (i.e. if the Lions were given a "home" game in Melbourne, much like Melbourne did a few years ago in Brisbane).

Sorry but if Brisbane are serious about playing as a merged club between Fitzroy and the Brisbane bears, Fitzroy need to dominate the iconography. There's no comparison between a club that was around for over 100 years and a club that wasn't even around for 10. I'm personally against Brisbane continuing to posit themselves as a successor to Fitzroy, it's an insult to people who lost their club, but if they were to do this, and start wearing basically a Brisbane Bears jumper with a lion on the stomach, they might as well formally drop Fitzroy and go back to being the bears.

Sorry but if Brisbane are serious about playing as a merged club between Fitzroy and the Brisbane bears, Fitzroy need to dominate the iconography. There's no comparison between a club that was around for over 100 years and a club that wasn't even around for 10. I'm personally against Brisbane continuing to posit themselves as a successor to Fitzroy, it's an insult to people who lost their club, but if they were to do this, and start wearing basically a Brisbane Bears jumper with a lion on the stomach, they might as well formally drop Fitzroy and go back to being the bears.
Silly post. I'm looking very hard at my Bears guernsey and really struggling to find the blue in it. 10 years may not be much to you, but it means a lot to some of us.

Silly post. I'm looking very hard at my Bears guernsey and really struggling to find the blue in it. 10 years may not be much to you, but it means a lot to some of us.

you still get to have a footy club in your city and state. be grateful. that's than fitzroy supporters get.

I think there are a number of issues with this. Firstly, both Brisbane AND Fitzroy were struggling at the time. If the Bears hadn't put forward an offer it would likely have caused Fitzroy to crumble and not exist altogether, as (if you've watched the documentary the Lions released recently) all the other clubs would have rejected the only other merger offer on the table with the Roos.

Secondly, the Lions aren't positing themselves as a successor to Fitzroy. They are an amalgamation of two clubs, each with their own history and identity. Fitzroy were a once great powerhouse that sadly fell apart financially. The Bears were setup so that someone could basically say "I own a football team'.
I recognise that you're sad that Fitzroy Football team no longer exists in the AFL, but I've tried to incorporate both teams identities into my designs and to signify both clubs coming together.

Also, saying that all iconography has to be Fitzroy makes no sense to me. I think the team has now existed for a long enough time to go out on its own but still acknowledge the two histories, what do you think? Fitzroy also never utilised the Lion itself on their guernsey (this was a uniquely BBFFC thing), but instead used the FFC monogram, so already we have moved away from that tradition anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back