Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2022 - Gunston, Dunkley, McKenna, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Lester, Cockatoo

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Got to love Ashcroft picking up 32 pos in his first vfl game

He has adjusted to the standard very well, but I want to correct you here -- It's his third VFL game. Not first. He played a couple VFL games mid season during the Nab League break a couple months ago.

Lions have got a lot of players coming out of contract to free up spaces for picks. They should look at holding onto Payne at all costs and trying and get value from the rest except for Prior, Ah Chee & Robertson that they should re-sign. Gardiner should net them a 2nd round or end of 2nd compo while Mcstay a 1st or end of first.

Last edited:

He has adjusted to the standard very well, but I want to correct you here -- It's his third VFL game. Not first. He played a couple VFL games mid season during the Nab League break a couple months ago.

Round 6 vs Sydney - 24 disposals (15 kicks, 9 handballs), 5 marks, 9 tackles, 4 clearances

Round 7 vs Coburg - 32 disposals (14 kicks, 18 handballs, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 5 clearances, 1 goal

Round 21 vs Sandringham - 32 disposals (12 kicks, 20 handballs), 2 marks, 6 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal

Comfortable at VFL level like you suggested.

Lions have got a lot of players coming out of contract to free up spaces for picks. They should look at holding onto Payne at all costs and trying and get value from the rest except for Prior, Ah Chee & Robertson that they should re-sign. Gardiner should net them a 2nd round or end of 2nd compo while Mcstay a 1st or end of first.
Gardiner has a multi year contract waiting for him at the Lions I very much expect him to stay

How the hell are they planning on getting everything done?

Ashcroft bid will be 2400 points, they currently have 2086 points. Meaning their entire draft hand is gone. A second rounder for McStay is worth 542 points. Meaning they'll have an excess of 228 or pick 55 after Ashcroft.

Then there is Dunkley, a future first is likely going to be after another top 4 finish and the doggies won't want to be strengthening their opposition cheaply. Unless they are trading out a Deven Robertson or Kai Lohmann as well, I can't see how that gets done.

And then there is the other father son Fletcher, likely bid around 22-25 meaning they'll have to find another top 30ish pick to match.

If Brisbane can get GC’s 7 with Bowes I’d be then offering North 7, 15, 34, 45 for their 1.

Get the best 2 kids in the draft and North get back in the draft in a big way for decent kids or with a range of picks to trade in experience.

Give a future first for Dunkley and they’d be pretty much done the best possible drafting this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Brisbane can get GC’s 7 with Bowes I’d be then offering North 7, 15, 34, 45 for their 1.

Get the best 2 kids in the draft and North get back in the draft in a big way for decent kids or with a range of picks to trade in experience.

Give a future first for Dunkley and they’d be pretty much done the best possible drafting this year.

Would give us very little points to match bids for Ashcroft and Fletcher though.

If brisbane get 7 (which i doubt bowes goes there anyway) it will go on dunkley anyway.

Ashcroft would be much cheaper as he’s guaranteed to go at pick 2. You sacrifice next year but I feel you’d get a better and more immediate return this year.

Still need 2000 points to match a bid at pick 2 for Ashcroft, and then another ~700-800 for Fletcher. Trading our our future first only lets us go into around ~900 points of deficit.

Just checking my calculations are correct.

• Because Brisbane traded out their future first, they can only take 741 points of deficit into next year (the sum of a premier's points from rounds 2, 3 and 4).
  • They have 5 list spots so can use their first 5 picks to match a bid on Ashcroft. The first 4 picks are worth a combined 2031 points, the first 5 picks 2238 points.
  • If Ashcroft is bid on at #1 they’d use all 5 picks and have 162 points go into deficit. Which would mean allowing for the 197 discount on any bid (the cap on the 20% discount), they could only match bids from #25.
  • If Ashcroft is bid on at #2 they’d use the first 4 picks and have no deficit. #55 would become #52 and be worth 246 points, meaning between 2022 and 2023 points they could match any bid on Fletcher from pick #13.
Ashcroft is a done deal. However, depending on whether Ashcroft is bid on at #1 or #2 decides whether Brisbane can match bids on Fletcher at picks #13+ or #25+. Where Ashcroft is bid on is therefore hugely significant for if they'll be able to match for Ashcroft.

Just checking my calculations are correct.

• Because Brisbane traded out their future first, they can only take 741 points of deficit into next year (the sum of a premier's points from rounds 2, 3 and 4).
  • They have 5 list spots so can use their first 5 picks to match a bid on Ashcroft. The first 4 picks are worth a combined 2031 points, the first 5 picks 2238 points.
  • If Ashcroft is bid on at #1 they’d use all 5 picks and have 162 points go into deficit. Which would mean allowing for the 197 discount on any bid (the cap on the 20% discount), they could only match bids from #25.
  • If Ashcroft is bid on at #2 they’d use the first 4 picks and have no deficit. #55 would become #52 and be worth 246 points, meaning between 2022 and 2023 points they could match any bid on Fletcher from pick #13.
Ashcroft is a done deal. However, depending on whether Ashcroft is bid on at #1 or #2 decides whether Brisbane can match bids on Fletcher at picks #13+ or #25+. Where Ashcroft is bid on is therefore hugely significant for if they'll be able to match for Ashcroft.

I think it looks about right, though we have two additional future third round picks which I thought increased the amount of deficit we could go into.

I think we'll also be able to pick up some points by live trading out a pick or two in the 30s for some later picks (Hawthorn seems like the obvious target).

I think it looks about right, though we have two additional future third round picks which I thought increased the amount of deficit we could go into.

I think we'll also be able to pick up some points by live trading out a pick or two in the 30s for some later picks (Hawthorn seems like the obvious target).
Is the list spots limit only in place at the start of the draft? I thought you couldn't trade back (or 2023 in) any more picks regardless because you start with just 5. But not an area of the rules I'm familiar with, so I could be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back