bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
So the much anticipated AGM for 2013 is not too far away. Personally, I cannot wait until certain individuals feel the full wrath of karma.

Can someone please explain how a Traditional Victorian membership gives you a right to vote in the AGM, but a QLD Standard Season membership does not?

I've had a quick glance over the constitution and it really makes your mind boggle. Season Ticket Members, "shall have no voting rights and have no access to social clubs unless a separate social club membership fee is paid or an entry fee paid as directed by the Board from time to time." On the other hand, a Full Member (over the age of 18) has AGM voting rights.

URL: http://www.lions.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/BrisbaneLions/Documents/Constitution of BBFFC 12 December 2012.pdf

VIC Members don't even have reserved seating and access to social clubs - which would be the same as QLD Seasoned Ticket Members. How does a Standard Membership fall under the category of "Season Ticket Members" and the Traditional Vic "Full Members"?

From what I have heard, it has been like this for the past few years, and I know of a few people who are going to call into the club tomorrow and complain.

The issue should not be about the rights of Victorian Traditional Members receiving voting rights, which as per the merger agreement, so they should, but rather that paid up Queensland members should.

If I am not mistaken, can't those Qld members you refer upgrade for a nominal fee to obtain voting rights?

Yeah I think that part of the constitution bato quoted is just a relic of the time when the club sold season tickets without voting rights as a slightly cheaper alternative to membership.

I'd encourage people to set their AGM expectations to low though. We've had some fairly contentious club decisions over the past 5 or so years that just haven't translated to AGM angst. They get mentioned for sure, but they largely dissipate in the noise of some members who rant for 15 minutes about thing like choice of beer in the Member's dining room.

Can be a very disappointing experience if you go in expecting to see a big turnout of passionate members or the board facing the scrutiny they deserve.

I don't think GA memberships get voting rights, which I think is the difference.

Traditional Victorian memberships offer GA and voting rights. Not all Queenslanders receive the same rights I guess. Either that, or all this constitution talk has gotten to my head. :confused:

Traditional Victorian memberships offer GA and voting rights. Not all Queenslanders receive the same rights I guess. Either that, or all this constitution talk has gotten to my head. :confused:

Is it possible to even get non-GA memberships in Victoria, or do you get the same seat at Etihad every time?

I didn't think there was any such thing as Season Member vs Full Member any more. I used to pay extra to be a full member but now it's automatically part of my Premium membership.

Premium memberships certainly have AGM voting rights, however, your standard reserve membership does not. I just wanted to know what differentiates one from the other - apart from the price.

Premium memberships certainly have AGM voting rights, however, your standard reserve membership does not. I just wanted to know what differentiates one from the other - apart from the price.

Premium/Prime etc refers to the quality of your seat as far as I know.

Premium/Prime etc refers to the quality of your seat as far as I know.

That makes sense. But I still don't see the point in taking members' voting rights away just because they're paying for a 'cheaper' membership.

Isn't whatboutbob an expert when it comes to AGM talk?

I was just looking into this as well as I want to make sure this board gets the ass. The constitution allows that anyone who held a full season pass ticket is entitled to vote. So it doesn't matter if it was a GA membership or not, we are all entitled to vote.

I think the club keeps putting "those members entitled to vote" in their correspondence to deliberately confuse members so that they don't vote.

4.1 The membership of the Corporation shall consist of the following classes of members:
(a) Full Members
Full Members shall be those persons having attained the age of eighteen (18) years
and holding a football season pass or ticket with unrestricted Social Membership
and may vote at general meetings and be nominated for and act as a Director of the
Corporation. Full Members may have access to social clubs at all times subject to
the regulations of the Corporation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standard members DO have the right to vote!

refer to the definition of a "full member" under clause 4.1 of the constitution

"4.1 The membership of the Corporation shall consist of the following classes of members:
(a) Full Members
Full Members shall be those persons having attained the age of eighteen (18) years
and holding a football season pass or ticket with unrestricted Social Membership
and may vote at general meetings and be nominated for and act as a Director of the
Corporation. Full Members may have access to social clubs at all times subject to
the regulations of the Corporation."

Standard members DO have the right to vote!

refer to the definition of a "full member" under clause 4.1 of the constitution

"4.1 The membership of the Corporation shall consist of the following classes of members:
(a) Full Members
the regulations of the Corporation."
Well you've posted it twice, but your assertion about General Admission members having voting rights is not correct. The classes of membership must be read in conjunction with the membership packages by the club. what you are missing is;
with unrestricted Social Membership
You don't get this with a GA membership.
This is the distinction between Full members and season ticket members.
You will have to examine the membership packages at their website to determine under which category you fall.;)

The issue should not be about the rights of Victorian Traditional Members receiving voting rights, which as per the merger agreement, so they should, but rather that paid up Queensland members should.

If I am not mistaken, can't those Qld members you refer upgrade for a nominal fee to obtain voting rights?
I agree with bato that the inequality in rights for members is unfair.
I can't speak for him, but when I suggest that, I am not begrudging Vic members, but suggesting we Qld
deserve the same rights.
In short, I figure they thought it easier to screw us than further screw you. I think anyone who buys a season membership or Vic membership should be able to vote. Maybe one day they can be convinced to look at this.
I don't know if all memberships can just be upgraded so easily or cheaply, but that is probably not the point, people would then essentially be buying the right to vote. The only other distinction is maybe they get social club membership/access. Not sure that should be the decider on whether you can vote or not.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back