Strategy Brisbane Lions Coaching and Staff Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way that I could see that even remotely working would be if Leigh stepped back from the media and the board and took on a senior assistant or head of football type roll with Leppa still as coach. He has always had confidence that leppa was the right man for the job. Maybe with a bit more help from Leigh that might just maybe work. Maybe? Doubt that would ever happen though.

Leigh might be okay as a pure people manager with a team of assistants doing the technical stuff. Having said that there are probably much better options at this point.

So joint-coaches then? Leigh to manage the players & Aker to do the tactical stuff.

Aker has no intention of moving to Brisbane again unfortunately.

He was asked whether or not he'd consider moving anywhere to coach in the near future at a charity function at the footy club last night and he said he wouldn't be interested in moving the family interstate again anytime soon.

Besides that he put on an absolute belter of a show... plenty of laughs!

I would love Aker back at the club in some capacity..

..but it would be a circus he and Leigh working together! At least it would keep us amused:D

I would love Aker back at the club in some capacity..

..but it would be a circus he and Leigh working together! At least it would keep us amused:D

He'd do well in the mascot costume.

The only way that I could see that even remotely working would be if Leigh stepped back from the media and the board and took on a senior assistant or head of football type roll with Leppa still as coach. He has always had confidence that leppa was the right man for the job. Maybe with a bit more help from Leigh that might just maybe work. Maybe? Doubt that would ever happen though.
Like in the helpful sort of way Blighty helped McKenna?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take this as a sign that Leppa is going nowhere. If they were getting a new coach they would let him bring in his people and not be appointing now.
Was thinking that. They're trying to get the right people in to help Leppa in 2017. Will be a disaster if results force us to sack Leppitsch in the first half of next season though. Very ballsy if that's how it plays out and he coaches in 17'.

I know nothing about the individual but I like the appointment. I think there is too much focus on getting ex-AFL players in as coaches rather than guys who have shown an ability to coach even if it is at a level below. Get the most skilled coaches in rather than just looking for names is a good approach imo.

I take this as a sign that Leppa is going nowhere. If they were getting a new coach they would let him bring in his people and not be appointing now.
Or, the new senior coach is the best kept secret in the industry.
When it appears that the coach had lost some of the senior players, it's remarkable how bullish many seem about the future.
(I doubt the case is that they know a new coach is coming, as this would be impossible to keep quiet. It may be that they have strong indications that Leppa is going).
It is possible the new coach has been identified and that he in turn has indicated to the club, some assistants he wants.
Whichever is the case, I think they'll have some spots left over to fill after decisions/announcements are made.

I know nothing about the individual but I like the appointment. I think there is too much focus on getting ex-AFL players in as coaches rather than guys who have shown an ability to coach even if it is at a level below. Get the most skilled coaches in rather than just looking for names is a good approach imo.
Aker's article on the weekend (I think) says exactly the same thing. Bolton, McCartney and to a lesser extent Beveridge and Clarkson (afl players, yes, but were role players if anything) are examples that come to mind.

I'm reading good things about him.

Took a group of u18's to a premiership.

Was a teacher, has that connection with young people, already in a role explicitly about development.

Merit over career games is something we could use.

Or, the new senior coach is the best kept secret in the industry.
When it appears that the coach had lost some of the senior players, it's remarkable how bullish many seem about the future.
(I doubt the case is that they know a new coach is coming, as this would be impossible to keep quiet. It may be that they have strong indications that Leppa is going).
It is possible the new coach has been identified and that he in turn has indicated to the club, some assistants he wants.
Whichever is the case, I think they'll have some spots left over to fill after decisions/announcements are made.

Can't keep a secret on that scale. Can't setup interviews for multiple candidates for each of multiple assistant coaching roles without someone involved wondering why these candidates are speaking with Bomber or Ratten or whomever rather than Leppa. It would get out and the club would look stupid for trying. The club's not that stupid.

100% certain now that Leppitsch will be senior coach next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back