Strategy Brisbane Lions Coaching and Staff Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consensus over on the Pies board is that Tapping did a terrific job with the VFL team and he is a huge loss so he sounds like a handy addition.
You are not far wrong! He is possibly the only coach to have impressed this year and should have been promoted in the AFL ranks. His loss has left many scratching their heads - WHY? :mad::huh::mad:

i wonder if that is it or another appointment or 2 coming in the next few days?

The Brisbane Lions can confirm Dale Tapping as a new assistant coach ahead of the 2017 season. see bolded.

Tapping has coached Collingwood’s VFL side since 2013, and before that guided the Sandringham Dragons to the TAC Cup premiership in 2011 after leading the elite under 18 side for three seasons.

This season he was awarded the 2016 VFL Coach of the Year.

Senior Coach Chris Fagan will announce the final structure of the coaching group in the coming days.

“Dale is a great relationship builder, a good communicator and an experienced coach,” said Football General Manager David Noble.

“He’s coached in his own right and has a strong track record with player development and is ready to take on a key assistant role.”

Career Statistics

Coaching Career: Collingwood (Midfield Development Coach) 2012; Collingwood VFL Coach 2013-2016.

Coached With: Nathan Buckley (2012-2016), Rodney Eade (2012-2014), Mitch Hahn (2012-2013), Ben Hart (2012-2016), Robert Harvey (2012-2016), Matthew Lappin (2012-2014), Tarkyn Lockyer (2012-2016), Craig McRae (2012-2015), Anthony Rocca (2012-2016), Scott Burns (2014-2016), Steve Grace (2014-2016), Jared Rivers (2016).

Players coached by Tapping at the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup: Jack Gunston (Adelaide/Hawthorn), Max Gawn (Melbourne), Ben Jacobs (Port Adelaide), Daniel Farmer (Collingwood 2011-2012), Jarryd Lyons (Adelaide), Declan Reilly (Collingwood rookie 2011), Liam Sumner (Greater Western Sydney), Jackson Paine (Collingwood/Brisbane), Alex Woodward (Hawthorn), Fletcher Roberts (Western Bulldogs), Sam Frost (Greater Western Sydney rookie), Ben Darrou (Richmond rookie).

Just had a chat to someone who works in the VFL program at Collingwood and he couldn't be more positive in his talk about Tapping. He said has a great repore with the players, is a wonderful orator, prepares meticulously, has done a tremendous development of the VFL side and the players will be really gutted that he is leaving. Very well respected and he reckons that he will be an outstanding acquisition for our coaching team.

Very happy obviously to hear this from someone who works with him closely. We have another good one it seems.

Can't help to feel a little bit excited with this coaching panel being put together. As much as I liked Vossy and Leppa, I feel like taking this experienced direction with an emphasis on development and communication will give on field results... dare I be optimistic again? It's been so long...

Yeah there is a air of excitement with our coaching panel all of a sudden, we are targeting guys that know how to develop youngsters which is great for a our list. If we can develop players like Mayes, Cutler, Robertson, Hipwood, Keayes, Matho, Skinner, Smith, Schache, Williams, Taylor, C.Hanley, Jansen, Dawson, Gardiner, Andrews, Freeman (almost a forgotten man imo), McGrath, McStay..... You see what I am saying there is some talent at our club.

I'm quite excited, just need to nail this draft and all of a sudden we are looking a lot better than we have in a while.

Would be nice to see Claye Beams reach his potential as well under a new coach.
I hate to say it, but I don't think his body will ever let him get to his potential.

I actually think we're getting to the stage where we need to stick a fork in him.

I hate to say it, but I don't think his body will ever let him get to his potential.

I actually think we're getting to the stage where we need to stick a fork in him.

Think sticking a fork in him will probably injure him tbh

Think sticking a fork in him will probably injure him tbh
XOEhUkO.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was shocked to see hes FA eligible next season! Just goes to show ho badly his body has let him down. Have to agree, just don't think he'll get his body right often enough to get another contract after this season.

Yeah there is a air of excitement with our coaching panel all of a sudden, we are targeting guys that know how to develop youngsters which is great for a our list. If we can develop players like Mayes, Cutler, Robertson, Hipwood, Keayes, Matho, Skinner, Smith, Schache, Williams, Taylor, C.Hanley, Jansen, Dawson, Gardiner, Andrews, Freeman (almost a forgotten man imo), McGrath, McStay..... You see what I am saying there is some talent at our club.

I'm quite excited, just need to nail this draft and all of a sudden we are looking a lot better than we have in a while.

And not just the young guys. Some of senior guys still seemed somewhat fully untapped too. We've all been saying it for years, but maybe a fully furnished senior coaching team like the one on display for 2017, may be the catalyst to finally turn Rich into the star we all know he can be.

And not just the young guys. Some of senior guys still seemed somewhat fully untapped too. We've all been saying it for years, but maybe a fully furnished senior coaching team like the one on display for 2017, may be the catalyst to finally turn Rich into the star we all know he can be.

Please don't say that, promised myself I would never pick Rich in Supercoach again.

hope you're right, work on consistency with Richy and Bells kicking technique, Nick Robbos composure, Rocky/Christensens/Greens fitness, Freemans aggression, Darcys silly FA along with a greater buy in with what the coaching team want to do and we could surprise a few teams next year. really think we can see a bounce like Bolton had with carlton early this season, only we maintain it for the majority of the season.

i am confident we will see a committed, hard at it, lions group next year. no more efforts like v the dockers and pies this season and more like the swans game and 3 quarters v the hawks.

Chris Fagan will be having a chat with Damian Austin requesting an off season training regime that will enhance our ability to run both ways, get the running and sprinting boots out boys.

run and gun is dead, long live the gut run/intensity/buy in is king mantra.

Happy with the lower level coaches being nabbed, sounds like 'needs based' appointments and all come highly regarded. Really like the fresh blood approach.

Obviously works nicely with ot budgetory restraints, these guys wouldnt be on top dollar, though will do a top job.

I am now hoping for an experienced AFL level assistant coach to be appointed as a cherry on top, I think we need just that last, fresh face, with current AFL experience - still holding out for monty.

Happy with the lower level coaches being nabbed, sounds like 'needs based' appointments and all come highly regarded. Really like the fresh blood approach.

Obviously works nicely with ot budgetory restraints, these guys wouldnt be on top dollar, though will do a top job.

I am now hoping for an experienced AFL level assistant coach to be appointed as a cherry on top, I think we need just that last, fresh face, with current AFL experience - still holding out for monty.
Monty has already got a gig elswhere :(

Not that I can find. Think he might still be in play.

Would be great if we got Monty on board. I heard we may need to bribe him with his childhood bear Bobo.

Not sure. Might be wrong but thought I read it somewhere??
I haven't heard anything in relation to Monty since he was in the talks with the lions for the senior coaching gig. I thought Richmond would have been chasing him.
Hopefully we will hear something in the next couple of days to say he will be the new senior assistant at the lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back