Strategy Brisbane Lions Coaching and Staff Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm led to believe it's not a case of "couldn't" but chose not to. The footy department funds might be better allocated elsewhere at this point. Maybe a psychologist or something.

Like Jackess said, it appears Daly has some sort of seniority in his position anyway as head of strategy.

Was just about to say this. Hopefully we have enough money to grab a sports psychologist as you said.

Just read that he was a defender in his playing days. :eek:

That explains the move to defence. All good.

I certainly hope that Murray Davis had nothing to do with the defensive side of the game last year as that was a complete debacle and the boys definitely need a clean slate there.

Look at the defenders we had. Hard to do much there. Also the bigger defensive issue was the midfield.

Look at the defenders we had. Hard to do much there. Also the bigger defensive issue was the midfield.
I think a large majority of our goals conceded were on the rebound due to poor conversion or missed marks, on top of our midfielders missing kicks inside 50. Zorko, Rockliff, Robinson provided decent defensive pressure as a whole.

Maybe but l think the overall defensive structure was terrible as well. Many of our defenders were standing 5m off their opponents. I don't know if that was Leppa or Davis but it kept happening all year.

I think a large majority of our goals conceded were on the rebound due to poor conversion or missed marks, on top of our midfielders missing kicks inside 50. Zorko, Rockliff, Robinson provided decent defensive pressure as a whole.

In the contest maybe but not in transition after the turnover.

Maybe but l think the overall defensive structure was terrible as well. Many of our defenders were standing 5m off their opponents. I don't know if that was Leppa or Davis but it kept happening all year.
IIRC that's how Leppa used to play, just that he was a) good enough to get away with it and b) surrounded by class in the back half

Worked pretty well for West Coast.

IIRC that's how Leppa used to play, just that he was a) good enough to get away with it and b) surrounded by class in the back half
Yes when you have White and Johnson able to peel off and take third up marks, it does make life easier.

Just read that he was a defender in his playing days. :eek:

That explains the move to defence. All good.
Hard as nails fullback or centre half back. Used to play above his height so had to play smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes when you have White and Johnson able to peel off and take third up marks, it does make life easier.
i was speaking to a fella last night who played in the gold coast masters on the gold coast last month and he said White was playing and looked fantastic ie. had lost a lot of weight and was taking one handed marks at will.

he also played basketball against him a while ago and said he was bloody handy at that as well but had a bit of a blimp body at the time.

edit, gee i had a brain fade there, amazing that they play the gold coast masters on the gold coast.:oops:

Last edited:
i was speaking to a fella last night who played in the gold coast masters on the gold coast last month and he said White was playing and looked fantastic ie. had lost a lot of weight and was taking one handed marks at will.

he also played basketball against him a while ago and said he was bloody handy at that as well but had a bit of a blimp body at the time.
Whitey would have been one of the most physically gifted athletes to ever come through this club. I still remember the running back with the flight of the ball no look mark he took at the Gabba, unbelievable.

We lost 1st game against the Eagles 166-102 and the 2nd game against them by 131-82. We lost by big margins and they scored a huge amount of points/goals. I don't think it worked that well against them

99.97 percent sure that Jackess was talking about the West Coast zone defence AKA the Weagles Web.

We lost 1st game against the Eagles 166-102 and the 2nd game against them by 131-82. We lost by big margins and they scored a huge amount of points/goals. I don't think it worked that well against them

Hahahaha. I can't fault your logic.

We improved ..................(by >30%) :thumbsu:

I've heard it from so many places now that there has to be some truth to it... but Murray Davis is apparently quite the underrated gem in our coaching mix.

Fagan has flagged our defensive issues as our number 1 priority, so Davis being given the job might be quite an indication of faith in his capability.
I've always enjoyed his Mr Squiggle segments and he does seem quite the analyst.

Ben Hudson told a family member during a training session last season that he had no idea why his responsibilities included those as forward coach when he had only kicked 3 goals in 178 games [unsure of the maths here].

Makes sense to me.

Ben Hudson told a family member during a training session last season that he had no idea why his responsibilities included those as forward coach when he had only kicked 3 goals in 178 games [unsure of the maths here].

Makes sense to me.

Do you really think we'd put him in that role if he had no idea?

Also, as has been covered. The majority of forward coaches in the AFL did not play forward.

Makes sense to me.
Mentioned something like this during the season Tassie4ever and received some flack from a few BF followers. Cant understand why we have specific coach's for the backline & midfield (2 of them!!!) but a shared coach for the ruck & forwards!!! Strange considering the youth we have in the forward line that will need (and needed in 2016) some good experienced forward coaching to mentor them through tough challenge's in season 2017. I like Ben as ruck coach but I think that there will be others that don't have the forward coach title that will help the forwards throughout the season. (at least I hope so!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back