News Brisbane Lions players stood down with no pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this about a week ago. But unless someone steps in - I don't think the weaker clubs will survive this. I just think this is alot more serious than we anticipate.

I think they need to, by whatever means possible. It is the same for businesses around the country as well. Failure to do so will mean that economic recovery from the severe downturn we are heading into will be prolonged greatly.

Wouldn't it be prudent to pay the players to keep them happy and in the long run, loyal?
With what money? There is zero coming in.
Paying players to keep them happy should not be the justification. Paying players to keep food on the table is the priority.

If we are asking them to take leave without pay, I would hope every single person at the club from the coach to the CEO etc also takes leave without pay.
i don’t think this is a club issue, it’s an industry issue.The AFL has (and should) take control with the club administrators. Players should receive their base payment directly from the AFL, less a % salary reduction across the board for players and administrators.

I hope it’s not a flat 50% pay cut. The ones on less should keep more of their pay.

I hope it’s not a flat 50% pay cut. The ones on less should keep more of their pay.
It's not that simple. typically younger players would be on less money, older players on more money. however as a generalization a younger player would also be more able to survive on less money. No house (with mortgage), no wife, no kids. a player in his mid-late 20's... higher income, but higher expenses.

It's not that simple. typically younger players would be on less money, older players on more money. however as a generalization a younger player would also be more able to survive on less money. No house (with mortgage), no wife, no kids. a player in his mid-late 20's... higher income, but higher expenses.
It’s going to be a terrible time to try and sell a house.

And rent these days. It’s the same as paying a mortgage if you’re unlucky and not able to save for a mortgage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back