Prediction Brisbane Lions - They'll win a flag within 5 years

19 games into 2018: won 4, lost 15, strong flag potential.

19 games into 2013: won 8, lost 11, coach gets sacked.

It's a funny game, ain't it!!!!

19 games into 2018: won 4, lost 15, strong flag potential.

19 games into 2013: won 8, lost 11, coach gets sacked.

It's a funny game, ain't it!!!!

Our percentage this season has been better than it has been for...like, almost a decade I think. We've only had about 3 blowouts this season, compared to triple that previous years

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Forward: Hipwood, McStay, Cameron
Mid: Rayner, McCluggage, Berry
Back: Witherden, Andrews, Gardiner

That's scary stuff. Although any talk of finals and premierships surely depends if Beams and Zorko can keep playing at a high level though. They are still many classes above the young guys. There's a little window maybe in 2020-2022 where the young and old can come together. Then the young guys have a decade of footy together if it all goes to plan.

Also I think a lot of their form has been due to Martin, Beams, Zorko playing at a high level and guys like Hodge, Robinson, Walker providing a base and guys like Taylor, Rich, Christensen contributing better than they have been, but that's how it's meant to work. They've stopped just getting younger and are putting something like a best 22 out on the field and can slowly mix in more youth when they are ready.

Keen to see what they can get out of Bailey, Starcevich, Cox, Keays, some of the other young guys they've drafted highly. They start getting performances out of those guys and it's game on.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Bottom 4 to flag in 5 years is highly unlikely, for any club.
I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely.

Hawks were bottom 4 in 2005. Premiers in 2008. Dogs were bottom 4 in 2013. Premiers in 2016. There's two very recent examples.

With the way Brisbane are tracking, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them holding up the cup within the next five years. Their challenge as always will be player retention.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bottom 4 to flag in 5 years is highly unlikely, for any club.
I think there's quite a few cases of the young guys entering their prime quickly whilst the old guys stick around and together forming a pretty good team.

That's what the Hawks 08 were, the Dogs 16 are looking like that kind of side and the Tigers of '13 were the nucleus of this current premiership side, if they were surrounded by more than just Chris Newman as veterans and more club wide support they could've won a few finals for sure. Saints under Grant Thomas pretty similar as well.

The evolution of a rebuild might generally be that if you get the right group of elite young talent in combined with excellent veterans you can have success very early, after which you retool around the young guys and go again. I wouldn't promise a premiership by any means but these young guys could climb the ladder quickly.

I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely.

Hawks were bottom 4 in 2005. Premiers in 2008. Dogs were bottom 4 in 2013. Premiers in 2016. There's two very recent examples.

With the way Brisbane are tracking, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them holding up the cup within the next five years. Their challenge as always will be player retention.

Yeah, but the hawks were also finalists in 2001 and the dogs in 2010, they had players and staff remaining from those times to pass on that institutional memory/culture.

Brisbane would need to learn it pretty much from scratch.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just don't underestimate the scale of the task. Richmond did it in 7 years, and honestly, I think that was a pretty amazing achievement...Cutting 2 years off that would be an order of magnitude tougher.

lmao this is what every douche on this forum was saying about GWS and the Suns. people were SO sure they would not only win a flag but "absolutely dominate the competition for 10 years", not even exaggerating. it's easy to type "yeah young team looks good, give em 2 more season to gel, then the season after they will play finals, then 2 more years they will be seasoned enough to win it" but all you have to do is look at entitled GWS and their young arrogant kids to see how it's not as easy to act it out as it is typing it.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, but the hawks were also finalists in 2001 and the dogs in 2010, they had players and staff remaining from those times to pass on that institutional memory/culture.

Brisbane would need to learn it pretty much from scratch.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just don't underestimate the scale of the task. Richmond did it in 7 years, and honestly, I think that was a pretty amazing achievement...Cutting 2 years off that would be an order of magnitude tougher.

Hawthorn were bang average in 2004........
2001 to 2005 we probably had about 6 players still on our list
Big clean-out in the playing group and board, new coach, new fitness coordinator

2004 was rock bottom

Brisbane have the core of a very good group, and have a year or 2 into their rebuild.
Some of the kids now have 30 - 50 games into them.
They are more like the Hawthorn of 2006

End of 2006, we had a few wins late in the season which gave some optimism for the following year.
No out of the relms of possibility to see Brisbane challenging for top 8 in 2019 and top 4 in 2020 and anything is possible from there.

Chris Fagan has done a great job in turning the playing group around, and they seem to have more stability in their executive.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Predicting things five years out is so difficult so sure, may as well say it.

Imagine saying five years ago that Richmond would be favourites to be back to back premiers straight after the Bulldog won it. This place would have torn you to shreds.

The only thing we can really say is that in five years Carlton will still sink.

This. It's hard enough to predict what will happen next year, let alone 5 years from now. It's basically a free hit.

Our percentage this season has been better than it has been for...like, almost a decade I think. We've only had about 3 blowouts this season, compared to triple that previous years
take away the Richmond game when they scored 17 points for the whole game, their percentage would be very impressive.

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have to disagree with comments regarding our 'improved late season form'

Have actually been pretty consistent for the entire year.

First ten rounds went 1-9, but that included losses by 5 (Port A), 5 (Suns H), and 7 (Pies H). Also 14 and 18 (Dogs and Sydney). Bit more polish and 4 or 5 wins is not that far away/

The next nine we have gone 3-6, including losses by 5 (Adelaide H) and 3 (North H).

Again, with a bit more polish could have won 4, maybe 5 games.

I'd probably say each half of the season has been as good as the other, and despite sitting 16th, a percentage of 90+% highlights a vastly improved competitiveness.

No point trying to predict flags, but I think the signs are all there to suggest an improved 2019... I hope.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
lmao this is what every douche on this forum was saying about GWS and the Suns. people were SO sure they would not only win a flag but "absolutely dominate the competition for 10 years", not even exaggerating. it's easy to type "yeah young team looks good, give em 2 more season to gel, then the season after they will play finals, then 2 more years they will be seasoned enough to win it" but all you have to do is look at entitled GWS and their young arrogant kids to see how it's not as easy to act it out as it is typing it.
Well done.
I really didn't expect this thread to contain irrational GWS hate, with such a flimsy link to the thread topic.
Rent free doesn't begin to cover it.
:thumbsu:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Brisbane won't be able to win a flag imo. The Grand Final is played at the MCG. Op must not visit the forum much.
It's been done before joy against sides whose home ground was the MCG.
037dc1bfbc72bc0a61d8c5b4781516d0--brisbane-lions.jpg

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
That's my bold prediction. They've shown signs that they will emerge in the not to distant future. The GABBA will once again be a fortress and I think finals aren't out of the question next year. Certainly in two years I expect them to be featuring in September and by the year after they will be a force. 3 years to build and strengthen, gain momentum as well as experience and the next two after that, the Lions should have a prem.

The GABBA will once again by a nightmare for teams to play at, and it's already becoming very dicey as it is
Lol at bold claim, more a johnny come lately and slothily. Many posters here (those who watch them every week) have been saying all season that they'll be contending by 2020 at latest.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
They’re building quite the formidable midfield. Beams Zorko McCluggage Rayner Witherden & berry is very solid & every chance to add someone like Rankine or Walsh to them this year.
Could also choose to add a King brother and help out Hipwood win win.

Within a kick of so many games, could easy be sitting 10th or so.

I reckon they’ll be eyeing off the last game of the season against the Eagles in Brisbane to really make a statement and try beat a top team and enter a new era (big ask though)

Back