I think we'll bring Starcevich and McCarthy in for Hinge and Coleman

Berry won't be worth the risk

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can give him limited minutes to keep him with some sort of match fitness. Would've thought that was implied.

Match fitness wouldn't be an issue at the end of a season. Dislocating his shoulder ago would be an issue.

SL16

Senior List
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Match fitness wouldn't be an issue at the end of a season. Dislocating his shoulder ago would be an issue.
Agreed, but my point was that if he was going to play anything, that'd be what I think they'd play him in.

Fwiw I wouldn't play him in anything either.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agreed, but my point was that if he was going to play anything, that'd be what I think they'd play him in.

Fwiw I wouldn't play him in anything either.

I disagree. Either he's able to play without discomfort and with enough mobility and he plays seniors or it's nothing.

SL16

Senior List
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I disagree. Either he's able to play without discomfort and with enough mobility and he plays seniors or it's nothing.
Well each to their own. At the end of the day the club, we hope, will make the right call.

Fair enough, everyone sees it differently.

I thought he was one of our better players for sure, and it seems the match report agrees:

BEST
Brisbane:
Lyons, Rich, McStay, Ellis-Yolmen, McInerney, Robinson
Yeah I noticed that at the time and thought to myself - what a load of sheit!

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we'll bring Starcevich and McCarthy in for Hinge and Coleman

Berry won't be worth the risk

Can't see Coleman being dropped for Carlton. Maybe he's an unlucky omission week 1 of finals.

He laid 7 tackles and had 25 pressure acts on sunday to back up two excellent first games. He's more than doing his job defensively as well as fulfilling the offensive output.

It is going to be tight for spots if we get everyone fit.

straighttalkin

Senior List
May 26, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Going out on limb here but I think we should continue with the Oscar & Archie show. I have actually been impressed by Archie the last couple of weeks.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Jarryd Lyons on The Roar Deal today saying that Jarrod Berry looks good and if he gets through the main training session tomorrow he could play, he then added that the medicos might decide to rest him anyway although Jarrod will put his hand up to play.

IMO if there is any doubt whatsoever don't play him, he's not going to lose any fitness being so late in the season, he'll be primed for the Tigers in the qualifying final.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Jarryd Lyons on The Roar Deal today saying that Jarrod Berry looks good and if he gets through the main training session tomorrow he could play, he then added that the medicos might decide to rest him anyway although Jarrod will put his hand up to play.

IMO if there is any doubt whatsoever don't play him, he's not going to lose any fitness being so late in the season, he'll be primed for the Tigers in the qualifying final.

Couldn't agree more.

Berry is a beast with his fitness and another week off won't do him any harm at all.

Tell him to have another week off and if he doesn't like it he can take it out on the oppo in the QF

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
While we're at it, if Stef looks OK, then play him, even if it's only 30-40% game time to blow out the cobwebs.

Archie was pretty good against the Swans but in a big final, Stef coming in is a no brainer if he's good to go.

Richmond have lost Soldo, their #1 ruck,

Maybe they play Chol, maybe they don't but whatever they do, if we can get both Oscar and Stef out there against them in a Final, , that has to be a huge advantage to us in the ruck division.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While we're at it, if Stef looks OK, then play him, even if it's only 30-40% game time to blow out the cobwebs.

Archie was pretty good against the Swans but in a big final, Stef coming in is a no brainer if he's good to go.

Maybe they play Chol, maybe they don't but whatever they do, if we can get both Oscar and Stef out there against them in a Final, , that has to be a huge advantage to us in the ruck division.
At this stage likely we play Richmond in QF Semi, and Chol played when they beat us, so reckon if he plays this week they will probably go with him for the semi. With a few games of experience Payne might be harder to push in the back, I mean 'worked under the ball' next time around. Also IF Stef is fit then some game time this week and with Big O playing well, we have an advantage in the ruck over Richmond. Lynch might not be back (but probably not Andrews either). Get through the Blues game and then watch with interest Monday nights game.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Lyons was very positive on the Roar...like him a lot...seems a real team man.

The tall and tall of it: How AFL ruck strategy has evolved

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-17/afl-analysis-how-ruck-strategy-has-evolved/12668180

This was a very interesting read In the development of ruck tactics. The take home is that having a second ruckman who is a “good footballer” is more important than having someone who can simply win tap outs or make a contest. Oscar McInerney fits that Bill, with his high clearance rate (rated 4th for clearances in 2020), mobility, good hands and ability to go forward. This is where having Stef Martin back in the team is going to be a massive boost, with Stef taking the primary ruck role and Oscar playing the second ruck role and freed up to wreak havoc in the forward line.

Last edited:

100% correct - getting Stef back fit and firing is vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back