Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues Round 18 Saturday 7.40pm - The Gabba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fan of both Lester & Birch but if Payne pushes out Lester in 2021 & Witho pushes out Birch then we become a better team. Hope it happens.
Lester’s in career best form but people continue to throw shade. For the record, Payne would be more likely to be competing for Gardiner’s place. Would you like Gardiner pushed out of the seniors next year?

Yeah agree, not a slight on Ryan at all. Just believe we need two big bodies down there, Harris and either Adams or Payne. Dizzy playing third tall.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Adams is cooked.

Moving forward into 2021 defence should set up a bit like this.

Rich Andrews Gardiner
Lester Payne Bailey

I/C Starcevich Answerth (Defence Rotations)

Perfect blend of youth and experience.

Lester had a really high footy IQ and he will play the Hodge role. He was doing it last week, directing traffic as we transitioned the ball out of defence.

Last edited:

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lester’s in career best form but people continue to throw shade. For the record, Payne would be more likely to be competing for Gardiner’s place. Would you like Gardiner pushed out of the seniors next year?

I'd have no problem with that at all. Why would I? Don't think I have ever had an anti fixation on any of our players, especially Lester, quite the opposite. I think the improvement this year of Lester, Starc & Bailey is a massive part of us being a better them this year. Love him to bits. Disagree that Payne would more likely be competing for Gardiners spot though.

I'd have no problem with that at all. Why would I? Don't think I have ever had an anti fixation on any of our players, especially Lester, quite the opposite. I think the improvement this year of Lester, Starc & Bailey is a massive part of us being a better them this year. Love him to bits. Disagree that Payne would more likely be competing for Gardiners spot though.
What did you think of the backline set up I posted? I reckon it looks good. I think we can accommodate Lester, Payne, Andrews and Gardiner.

Too slow 3KZ. Plus Rich . We brought Ah Chee in for some run but he's played a lockdown role generally.
I thought about that, which is why I see Answerth as part of the rotation. I think we sacrifice a bit of leg speed for precision in our exits.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What did you think of the backline set up I posted? I reckon it looks good. I think we can accommodate Lester, Payne, Andrews and Gardiner.

Defensively speaking it looks great, but just don't know if it's offensive enough. I guess we all see the games differently, but what I liked about our team changes this year & what it brought to games was the ability / skill (& unpredictability for the opposition) we had in moving the ball from defense to attack, especially early in the season. I would see the ball in the hands of Rich, Birchall or McCluggage (as a link up) & just know that it was going to hit a target, and they would know how much to bite off.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Next year I'm hoping Payne is sooooooo good we have to try Andrews up forward to fit him in somewhere.

I also want Adams to actually play an entire season after a full pre-season.

McStay to win the Coleman and Robbo the Norm Smith

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought about that, which is why I see Answerth as part of the rotation. I think we sacrifice a bit of leg speed for precision in our exits.
If you want Answerth as your leg speed player you're in trouble. Plus his disposal isn't up to scratch. I think we've got our best mix in there at the moment but if we could pull a running defender with 80% DE out of our hat we'd be doing it. We've got someone there now in Ah Chee who could probably do it but he's mainly played a defensive role despite the fact that we wanted him to play an attacking role. I think it's the way games have panned out and the fact that we don't have guys in there looking to move it on quickly. Which has worked well in limiting the scores of our opponents.

No easy answer ,especially when you're winning games.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Next year I'm hoping Payne is sooooooo good we have to try Andrews up forward to fit him in somewhere.

I also want Adams to actually play an entire season after a full pre-season.

McStay to win the Coleman and Robbo the Norm Smith
I think you have it just a smidgen off there D, if Harris is going forward he wins the Coleman not Daniel.

Best back 6 + 1 on bench 2021-

Darcy Gardiner, Jack Payne, Noah Answerth.
Brandon Starcevich, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich.

Alex Witherden.
Lester before Witherden, which is where Fagan has it now. Other than that. I like yours too.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I think you have it just a smidgen off there D, if Harris is going forward he wins the Coleman not Daniel.
Unfortunately I think my wish for Adams has the lowest probability of success.

Go the Sainters >watching the TV

Carlton have gone tall
They are probably recalling against us last year when they took 35 contested marks on the wing
Not sure going tall in a night game at the Gabba is a smart move but obviously they're trying to throw us off somehow if they can
OR they could be cooking something..not necessarily related to winning

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Unfortunately I think my wish for Adams has the lowest probability of success.

Go the Sainters >watching the TV

Barring a stuff up by either Geelong or Richmond, West Coast are going to finish 5th, so finishing 8th is pretty much a death sentence because you get to play the Eagles at Optus (Good luck!)

If the Bulldogs dispose of Freo in the second last game of the Round,then Collingwood need to beat Port in the last game to avoid that dreaded 8th spot.

So we should go all out to beat the Blues and then cheer like hell for the Dogs to beat Freo, giving Collingwood maximum incentive to knock over Port.

If the Dogs lose, Collingwood can pretty much just sit back and not worry, because they will finish 7th at worst and get a neutral EF, probably against the Saints

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would be expecting Smith and Prior to be putting their hands up for consideration in the backline as well next season. Smith as a defensive stopper type and Prior as a run off distributor perhaps a little like Bailey getting up the ground a bit onto the wing.

The blackout we have experienced on the ressies matches this year has been annoying and makes it hard to assess how the young guys are settling in but hopefully they are doing well.

With Hinge showing he can play at AFL level, Witherden hopefully back and a few others there will be plenty of competition.

bain22

Senior List
Sep 27, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm still scratching my head as to why Birchall is a walk up start,

Hinge can consider himself very unfortunate

I'd go so far as to say that unless Birchall shows something this game, Hinge could/should be an automatic replacemenmt for the QF
I think this is spot on.
His main skill is his disposal, so watching him kick down the line doesn't seem to be enough of a reason to keep him in the team. As soon as he is fit and firing get Answerth back for the finals.

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm still scratching my head as to why Birchall is a walk up start,

Hinge can consider himself very unfortunate

I'd go so far as to say that unless Birchall shows something this game, Hinge could/should be an automatic replacemenmt for the QF
Completely agree, I'd have Hinge > Witherden > Birchall off HB atm. Just really unsure what Birchall is bringing to the team as he doesn't have much penetration in his kicking anymore and generally just takes easy options or goes down the line.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Lester vs Payne is definitely an interesting one. We will match up better against teams with one other big tall defender like a Payne/Adams, at least against the finals teams like Geelong / Richmond. Does Lester have the speed to play as a fourth tall? Does he provide enough offensive output? Do we need another backline director when we have Andrews (when he's back) filling that roll?

I have been impressed with some of his disposal under pressure, but he has still found himself to be a bit shakey when dragged back to the last line of defense 1v1. That said, I think you could make a fair argument that he has been on par with Gardiner, and both really have the same questions re Defence, speed and offensive output.

I think our back 6 for the rest of this year would be:

Andrews Gardiner Lester
Rich Birchall Starcevich

That last defensive rotation could be filled by a few different people (Payne, Answerth, Ah Chee, Bailey) depending on how we line up.

I think for us to go far we have to have Payne playing in good shut down form, and thus allowing Lester and Gardiner to play more agressive. If we are going to beat a Richmond / Geelong I think that's the backline firing we need to have. I know Answerth has been managed, but I could see him not making his way back into the team if Payne plays well.

Also as an aside, for anyone wanting to see what Birchall brings, go watch the first quarter of our game against Geelong this year. Dude was everywhere. As long as his body holds up, he is going to be very valuable for the high pressure games we have coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back