Game Day Brisbane Lions v Collingwood, Round 5 2019, April 18, 7.35pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jesus. Straight to thoughts of incest when you’re angry? I’d get that checked out if I was you buddy.

Congrats on the win, far too good. By the way you should have a read of the excellent book Night Games by Anna Krein. Good illustration of the wonderful culture and behaviour of your football club :)

I agree ....getting back to help the defenders is far too slow but we also play too loose in the back half and it's getting the right mix back there... we are all at sea there.

I don't mind our defensive zone when we have the right people there. Definitely Missing speed and desire to defend. They are traits Bailey brought to the table and without someone like him we're very exposed. Our strategy can't work without the right pieces.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our pressure was there that game. None tonight.

Agreed. I feel like Charlie may be better off back in midfield, he can certainly bring that pressure. I've been thinking we need another good inside mid since Neale and Lyons are good but just not getting it done. I wonder if Ely will be that man.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
I don't mind our defensive zone when we have the right people there. Definitely Missing speed and desire to defend. They are traits Bailey brought to the table and without someone like him we're very exposed. Our strategy can't work without the right pieces.

Yep...Just heard that Adams may need another arthroscope..

Capt Haddock

Senior List
Sep 20, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Congrats on the win, far too good. By the way you should have a read of the excellent book Night Games by Anna Krein. Good illustration of the wonderful culture and behaviour of your football club :)

Yeah I read it, great book.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Completely outclassed by a much better side.
All the optimism has been blown away in two games.
We looked very ordinary tonight, gone backwards in a hurry.
So disappointed.

I disagree.

1. did you expect to be 3-0?
2. are you suprised that two teams that are ahead of us & are true finals contenders beat us soundly?
3. before the season started would you have been content with being 3-2 after week 5?

Agreed. I feel like Charlie may be better off back in midfield, he can certainly bring that pressure. I've been thinking we need another good inside mid since Neale and Lyons are good but just not getting it done. I wonder if Ely will be that man.

Matho is a liability. I'd almost like to see Tom Berry or Cedric Cox in the guts in the outside role with instructions to pressure like crazy. Would also give Neale and Lyons guys with pace to break lines which is what we're lacking as Zorko cannot get his attacking game going for whatever reason.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Charlie really seems to have lost confidence and stopped tackling when he was a gun in that area

Not sure what the answer is with him but he's our best hope of kicking a few I would think

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I disagree.

1. did you expect to be 3-0?
2. are you suprised that two teams that are ahead of us & are true finals contenders beat us soundly?
3. before the season started would you have been content with being 3-2 after week 5?
We were very poor tonight.

Some players really dropped off tonight.

Zhesty

All Australian
Feb 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Broncos
Was expecting a loss tonight but the way we lost was disappointing with our pressure around the ball really poor.

We lost it in the midfield and I'm not sure what the answer is because it felt like we were smashed on the inside and outside.

Too many players getting sucked into the contest leaving free Collingwood players on the outside ready to stream away.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I am enjoying it, and the banter. Not so sure about the sister rape references though, but whatever floats the old banana boat in Queensland.
Thud.....

Ahhh look....come to enjoy the moment, after the fact?

How very brave of you - where were you blokes earlier?

It takes no great skill, courage or imagination to appear post game and celebrate - put your nuts on the chopping block BEFORE the game, not after. But then, I'd expect no less from men of straw.

Capt Haddock

Senior List
Sep 20, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did you also enjoy Dom Sheed's goal?

Well obviously not a lot, but I can certainly appreciate the sheer class of it at that stage of the game. Quite remarkable. You win some, you lose some (quite a few in the case of the Pies haha), you make sister rape jokes. Wait...

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Frustrating. Sorry for the intrusion, Brisbane have been my second team that I've followed very closely for years (only other team I watch every weekend), and living in Brisbane, I'm desperate to see you guys come good.

If it's any consolation, I truly believe you are on the right path. I think you just matched up awfully against both the Pies and the Dons (and I think you could have given the Dons a real scare if it weren't for the BS free against McCarthy when he should have been having a shot to bring you within 4 goals). I feel like Cox, Taylor and Cutler would have been handy tonight, although I have read there are reasons that the latter isn't in the side despite his clear talent. Seems to me like Stef Martin's age is catching up with him, but he was up against a very good ruckman.

Either way, I think this Lions team is clearly much stronger than the Lions of 2016-2017, regardless of the result. I think it's only a matter of time before you come good with players like McLugagge, Berry and Andrews coming through. I think you'll win at least two of the next five, if not 1-2 more.

I'm a bit relieved tonight sold out, as I'd planned to go along. Will still be going along to a few Brisbane matches this year with the way you play. The lapses now seem like lapses you expect from a young side rather than one simply bereft of talent.

Dodongo agrees and thanks you for your input. End of the day Collingwood are probably playing in the Grand Final again and hopefully choking it away and they were just too good tonight. Yes we played poor as well and the umps were terrible but Collingwood was way too classy.

Dodongo has no doubt we will bounce back. Next two rounds are winnable. The match with your mob in Round 7 defines both our clubs seasons and it should be a good one. But first things first. Gotta beat Gold Coast.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really worried about Fage's nonchalant acceptance of our poor effort in the first 40 minutes last week and half wondered whether he knew in his heart we were starting to struggle.

We now have a longish break to reset and come out firing against beatable opposition.

But we need to ring the changes . Tackling pressure from some guys who are in there to tackle was non existent . They need to go and be told why ,without naming names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back