Preview Brisbane Lions v Essendon Bombers, Round 5, Saturday April 17, 7:25 PM, GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And too far the other way. Players whinge about calls 10 times a game (and I don't think that's exaggerating). When's the last time you saw a 50 for dissent?
Literally last weekend, hence why it was forefront in my mind.

The meltdown on here about players, especially a certain few, giving that away would be insane.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, but in the Pies game, Harris ripped into an umpire about a call costing us the game last week (Geelong), and how it shouldn't happen again... Except that the ump was clearly right - Harris did infringe, and then he looked like an idiot.

And too far the other way. Players whinge about calls 10 times a game (and I don't think that's exaggerating). When's the last time you saw a 50 for dissent?

Didn't Zorks get done for dissent v geelong? Or did he shove someone after the free kick was awarded - I was at the other end of the ground and never got confirmation.

Didn't Zorks get done for dissent v geelong? Or did he shove someone after the free kick was awarded - I was at the other end of the ground and never got confirmation.
I don't think we ever found out. If it was because he wasn't getting up quick enough off Selwood it was very very trigger happy compared to pretty much every other contest, which definitely means it could've been dissent but who knows.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could Zorko move to defense. His tackling, chase are good, he offers speed n run, has a good kick. It seems the assumption is that as he ages he is destined to play more fwd. In today's game he could offer just as much back as fwd. Probably add more down back with more room to run.

He is known for a clanger or two (many) atm, not to mention giving quite a few free kicks away. I'd rather he do that as far up the ground as possible.

Was it Jarred Brennan that Leigh Matthews used to play in the forward half for the same reason?

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Berry needs to worry about consolidating his place in the team before worrying about being captain. Andrews has got a bit sooky lately not sure it's him.

Zorks has been a fine captain all along . Neale should be next in line imo. Then McCluggage in 3 years/Andrews.
Berry is one of the last players you would want as a captain. Neale is a good choice as Zorko's successor.

Neale is a good choice as Zorko's successor.
Hopefully that does occur in the distant future, with Neale leading the squad for the next 5-6 years before allowing someone like Jarrod Berry or even Deven Robertson after Neale captaincy is finished when either of them matures and cements their place in the Best 22.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hopefully that does occur in the distant future, with Neale leading the squad for the next 5-6 years before allowing someone like Jarrod Berry or even Deven Robertson after Neale captaincy is finished when either of them matures and cements their place in the Best 22.
There is no way Berry will captain Brisbane. He is not captain material in my opinion. Way too much an individual to lead the group. Neale would be a good captain once Zorko is done imo. After that, Andrews is a certainty.

P.S. Andrews may even be the next captain.

There is no way Berry will captain Brisbane. He is not captain material in my opinion. Way too much an individual to lead the group. Neale would be a good captain once Zorko is done imo. After that, Andrews is a certainty.

P.S. Andrews may even be the next captain.

Yeah true, I wouldn't want Andrews to be the captain next though given he is only in his early 20s and Neale is in the prime years of his career. Neale would be my short-price favourite atm and then Andrews can have that position after him if he wants it, otherwise I would willing give the position to my boy Robertson.

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah true, I wouldn't want Andrews to be the captain next though given he is only in his early 20s and Neale is in the prime years of his career. Neale would be my short-price favourite atm and then Andrews can have that position after him if he wants it.

One of them is vice captain and has captained in Zorko's absence the other one is only in the leadership squad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of them is vice captain and has captained in Zorko's absence the other one is only in the leadership squad

I just feel he is a bit too young to take a high position at the club compared to someone in his prime years, but hey I'm happy to be proven wrong and watch him become the greatest captain the club might ever have ;)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just feel he is a bit too young to take a high position at the club compared to someone in his prime years, but hey I'm happy to be proven wrong ;)

So you'd rather an older player who isn't as good of a leader?

I don't know though cause he has only been at the club for a couple of seasons, only the club really knows for certain who has accredited captaincy material, and it looks like Andrews will be giving the job after Zorko for the signs we have seen so far.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Are we sure Neale isn't as good a leader? Is only his third season at the club and he's got a fair bit going on off-field this year

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He is known for a clanger or two (many) atm, not to mention giving quite a few free kicks away. I'd rather he do that as far up the ground as possible.

Was it Jarred Brennan that Leigh Matthews used to play in the forward half for the same reason?
Zorks might be passionate and sometimes goes over the top but I'll take his better than 22 disposals (mostly kicks) every game this year. I'll take his better than 6 marks a game and 5 tackles. He has had the best output of any of our midfield. His numbers and influence are highly valuable to us.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zorks might be passionate and sometimes goes over the top but I'll take his better than 22 disposals (mostly kicks) every game this year. I'll take his better than 6 marks a game and 5 tackles. He has had the best output of any of our midfield. His numbers and influence are highly valuable to us.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with all of that.

Why have you responded to my post with a statement that has nothing to do with what I have posted.

All I said is that I would prefer he wasn't moved to defence.

Simple fact is the closer to the opposition goals you are when you have a clanger of free kick against the greater the chance of it turning into an opposition score.

Clangers: #1 Zorko - 30
Frees Against: #1 Zorko - 18.

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
Hopefully our captain doesn’t spit the dummy this week . We aren’t winning anything while we have Zorko leading the lead would have to be the worst captain in the AFL. Immature little sook who stages for free kicks , goes missing when needed and lacks respect . Time to make Andrews captain from 2022 .
Fages just wants to make sure when the cup is lifted it’s equal height on both sides. He doesn’t want to not be holding it once Andrew’s has finished stretching his arm up with it.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just had a look at Ticketmaster to see what sort of crowd to expect for this game. The Swans game attracted 22,762
Looks a solid crowd at present. Most sections are either full or mostly full except the following

Sections 233 & 234 that is the bottom level between point post and just inside the 50 meter mark at Lions end.
Then the usual 406 to 411 top tier at the "Verandah" end around to video screen at that end

Maybe we get to 35,000 + if the Cricket Club Members is supported as well as the corporates.
This would be a great figure considering our 1-3 start

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reminder that you can directly ask Mitch Robinson some questions about the upcoming game right now:

Wow, impressive. Haven't played or really seen any first person shooter games since the original farcry.

Don't think I will either. Looks way too addictive, fun and a waste of time lol.

Might have finished uni if it wasn't for Doom, Duke Nukem 3D & SimCity etc etc.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just had a look at Ticketmaster to see what sort of crowd to expect for this game. The Swans game attracted 22,762
Looks a solid crowd at present. Most sections are either full or mostly full except the following

Sections 233 & 234 that is the bottom level between point post and just inside the 50 meter mark at Lions end.
Then the usual 406 to 411 top tier at the "Verandah" end around to video screen at that end

Maybe we get to 35,000 + if the Cricket Club Members is supported as well as the corporates.
This would be a great figure considering our 1-3 start

I remember a lot of Collingwood & Essendon supporters in Qld. Probably Richmond too for the time being lol.

Good to see on AFL 360 King highlight a few things wrong with the team.

For those that can’t watch it. Highlighted Andrews and Neale and a little bit of Zorko. Showed a video with a few times where Neale hasn’t done the right thing when defending. Andrews being beaten in one on ones isn’t really showing much but they did say last year he only lost 1 in 6 contests but this year it’s 1 in 3.

They also showed a few stats about our lack of turning the ball over and marks inside 50.

Good to see on AFL 360 King highlight a few things wrong with the team.

For those that can’t watch it. Highlighted Andrews and Neale and a little bit of Zorko. Showed a video with a few times where Neale hasn’t done the right thing when defending. Andrews being beaten in one on ones isn’t really showing much but they did say last year he only lost 1 in 6 contests but this year it’s 1 in 3.

They also showed a few stats about our lack of turning the ball over and marks inside 50.

I thought Montagnas commentary on Sydney which followed was interesting. That disciplined ball movement to around 60-80m out then a short kick on the angle to a mark inside 50. Polar opposites to our dump kicks.

Montagna also highlighted that if you can take more marks inside 50 than your opponent then the win rates of those teams is very very high. Much higher than the same stat last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back