Preview Brisbane Lions v Geelong - Thursday 24 June 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been in incredible form all year (again) so agree this will be a key for us. Do we back McStay to keep him out of the contest? Or copy the dogs and chaos ball it forward? With Cameron and McCarthy (and our talls who can be surprisingly good below their knees) the ground ball could be effective
Yes it is a hard decision on who goes to him if they choose that route
He is such a good mark and great at judging where the ball will come into opposition forward 50.
I do like the idea of McStay taking the challenge as I think we can still kick a winning score with Joe, Hippy, Charlie, Linc, Zac
If we can stop them waltzing it out of defense we stand a better chance of winning this one.

A lot has been said about the Melbourne game and our midfield's lack of pressure up the field resulting in a big turn around in the 2nd half
Personally I thought it started from our turning the ball over in our forward 50, plus lack of forward pressure in general in that 2nd half
This put our midfield under pressure and in turn our defenders

Should be a good contest hope we get a win at home to make up for round 2 injustice

Brisbane LionsAverage Per GameGeelong Cats
231.9Kicks226.3
122.7Handballs167.5
354.6Disposals393.8
97.9Marks102.6
13.4Goals12.8
11.3Behinds10.9
24.7Scoring Shots23.7
56.1Tackles57.8
29.4Hitouts31.5
20.2Frees For18.9
21.0Frees Against18.9
8.9Goal Assists9.5
56.5Inside 50s53.5
145.5Contested Possessions139.7
202.5Uncontested Possessions249.3
249.8Effective Disposals295.4
70.4%Disposal Efficiency %75%
58.8Clangers53.4
12.8Contested Marks11.6
12.1Marks Inside 5012.5
37.9Clearances38.9
13.1Centre Clearances11.2
24.8Stoppage Clearances27.6
39.0Rebound 50s35.6
47.4One Percenters45.5
2.0Bounces4.4
1.89Kick to Handball Ratio1.35
54.3%Conversion54.0%
26.46Disposals Per Goal30.77
14.36Disposals Per Scoring Shot16.62
5892.9Metres Gained5699.6
71.9Turnovers62.6
74.7Intercepts63.6
9.7Tackles Inside 5011.0

Yes it is a hard decision on who goes to him if they choose that route
He is such a good mark and great at judging where the ball will come into opposition forward 50.
I do like the idea of McStay taking the challenge as I think we can still kick a winning score with Joe, Hippy, Charlie, Linc, Zac
If we can stop them waltzing it out of defense we stand a better chance of winning this one.

A lot has been said about the Melbourne game and our midfield's lack of pressure up the field resulting in a big turn around in the 2nd half
Personally I thought it started from our turning the ball over in our forward 50, plus lack of forward pressure in general in that 2nd half
This put our midfield under pressure and in turn our defenders
It started by Melbourne applying pressure on the ball carrier who was brining it into the forward line. The forward 50 entries by us in the 2nd half was below average (& that is being complementary) Our forwards had no chance and Melbourne's defense were thinking they won lotto. It had nothing to do with the "lack of forward pressure".

Harris Andrews has to step up. Hawkins has owned him in the last few games. Adams played a ripper game on Hawkins a few years ago so they may go that way.

Hawkins well and truly has Andrews' measure and was close to BOG earlier in the season.

That game Marcus Adams played on Hawkins a couple of years ago (was that the game when McCarthy kicked the winner?) was one of the best defensive games I've seen on Hawk in a long time, he couldn't get any separation and Adams matched him for strength in one on ones.

I assume Andrews would have played on Cameron a fair bit when he was at GWS, if I was Fagan I'd be going with Adams v Hawkins and Andrews v Cameron this week.

The challenge for Andrews at the moment is that whoever plays on him doesn't allow him to play his natural role. They move him around the forward 50 or lead him up to the midfield and try and beat him on the way back. His game is built around watching the play rather than his opponent and so the opposition seems to have worked out that you both need to keep his attention occupied.

Where Andrews comes into his own is when the midfield and forward pressure is high. It means he can be less opponent-focused. This is no different to a lot of good defenders in the league - May, Lever, McGovern, Barrass, Moore etc. Andrews might look like he's been beaten but often it is due to the fact that he's set up expected midfield pressure to be applied and, when it doesn't, his opponent cashes in. In those cases, I'd blame the upfield pressure before I'd blame the defender.

In terms of matchups this week, Cameron is more likely to take Andrews to places that he doesn't want to be. And yet, I like the Adams-Hawkins matchup for us. I'm not sure there's a perfect solution but, on balance, I'd have Andrews taking the deeper forward.

Hawkins well and truly has Andrews' measure and was close to BOG earlier in the season.

That game Marcus Adams played on Hawkins a couple of years ago (was that the game when McCarthy kicked the winner?) was one of the best defensive games I've seen on Hawk in a long time, he couldn't get any separation and Adams matched him for strength in one on ones.

I assume Andrews would have played on Cameron a fair bit when he was at GWS, if I was Fagan I'd be going with Adams v Hawkins and Andrews v Cameron this week.

Hawk smartly never lets harris jump and (both legally and semi-legally) shoves him around. Harris can't sit back shoulder as Hawk is far too smart with his leading patterns, but he gets rag-dolled if he plays in front. Just a bad matchup.

The challenge for Andrews at the moment is that whoever plays on him doesn't allow him to play his natural role. They move him around the forward 50 or lead him up to the midfield and try and beat him on the way back. His game is built around watching the play rather than his opponent and so the opposition seems to have worked out that you both need to keep his attention occupied.

Where Andrews comes into his own is when the midfield and forward pressure is high. It means he can be less opponent-focused. This is no different to a lot of good defenders in the league - May, Lever, McGovern, Barrass, Moore etc. Andrews might look like he's been beaten but often it is due to the fact that he's set up expected midfield pressure to be applied and, when it doesn't, his opponent cashes in. In those cases, I'd blame the upfield pressure before I'd blame the defender.

In terms of matchups this week, Cameron is more likely to take Andrews to places that he doesn't want to be. And yet, I like the Adams-Hawkins matchup for us. I'm not sure there's a perfect solution but, on balance, I'd have Andrews taking the deeper forward.

Play Starce on Cameron. Cameron is less of a key forward than Hipwood is (Cameron 0.6 contested marks/game and Hipwood has 1.4 this season)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our backline was fantastic against North and think they're up for the challenge against Geelong. Adams v Hawkins, Andrews v Cameron and Starce v Rohan are the matchups for me. Madden needs to stay in - his two way running is such an asset and is becoming more and more noticeable.

Zorko in for Coleman is the only change I'd be making.

Jeremy Cameron is averaging 4 marks (0.6 contested. We consider Hipwood a tall flanker and he takes 5.5 marks (1.4 contested)

Cameron is dangerous linking up through the play and around clearances. Andrews is best suited to 1 on 1 marking contests. Not a good match up.

Play Starcevich on Cameron unless he's playing 1 out deep

Interview with Zorks from today.
At the end of the interview he mentions that J.Berry will hopefully be right for a game in the VFL this week.

It started by Melbourne applying pressure on the ball carrier who was brining it into the forward line. The forward 50 entries by us in the 2nd half was below average (& that is being complementary) Our forwards had no chance and Melbourne's defense were thinking they won lotto. It had nothing to do with the "lack of forward pressure".
Disagree in part
You are correct in that the entries were pathetic and midfield pressure could have been better
However this (bombing it long) is part of our game style anyhow. I would not say the Lions are know for their hit up passes to the chest of a leading forward
However at some stage something had to change. Yet our forwards kept doing the same thing for 50 minutes.
Nothing wrong with tall forwards going into a defensive role for a period of time to stop the onslaught.
Would at least give our smalls a chance if it comes to ground
This never happened either by the leaders on the ground or the coaching staff
So yes a lack of forward pressure was in my opinion the main problem in the second half

This conversation is about the forwards and I am probably in the minority
Others over the past 2 weeks believe it was the midfield, the majority
Then another group thinks it was the defense
Maybe we are all correct and it was just one of those halves of footy that hopefully the Lions will not repeat. Well this year at least

He's not contributing, he applies no pressure when they've got the ball, very poor ruck, average kick for goal. I think the guy needs a wake up call.

If indeed you are right, against Geelong in a game which may go a long way to us securing or not securing a top 4 spot is hardly a game where you drop him for ‘a wake up call’; exacerbated by you suggesting we bring in a rookie 🙄

I dont get your comment. Could you please elaborate a bit?

Hipwood has flourished since Daniher’s introduction in the forward line as he doesn’t always draw the first or second best defender from the opposition. They also work well as link players up the ground like the Port Adelaide game earlier in the season. Just need to develop consistency and dropping Joe is not the answer.

Hipwood has flourished since Daniher’s introduction in the forward line as he doesn’t always draw the first or second best defender from the opposition. They also work well as link players up the ground like the Port Adelaide game earlier in the season. Just need to develop consistency and dropping Joe is not the answer.

Not to mention McStay. He is the reason both have flourished.

Got a feeling this will be a one sided affair. Cats been up for a while now, lucky to just get over the line at home last time we met. What I do know about the Cats is they won’t roll over and just hand you a win but I just feel they’re due for a loss. Should be another cracking game but I feel the Lions mids and talls in the forward half may have a day out. All the best for the rest of the season, including this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back