Game Day Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Round 21 - 16:35 AEST, Aug 10, 2019.

BL v GCS: Who will win?

• Brisbane by 30+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Brisbane under 30pts

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Gold Coast under 30pts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast by 30+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who should be in? Who should be dropped?

Brisbane-vs-Goldcoast.png

FREE for 14 days:
Stream the game LIVE to any device.

Tip the game now - win cash 'n' prizes

Proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

blvgc.png

Where and when: the Gabba, Saturday August 10, 4.35pm AEST
TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide
What it means for Brisbane:
The Lions are locked with Geelong and West Coast at the top of the ladder and need to extend their seven-game winning streak to clinch that crucial top-two spot. Some extra percentage wouldn't hurt either if the chance arises late in the match.
What it means for Gold Coast: Pride – pure and simple. The Suns have lost 15 straight matches and would love nothing more than snapping that – and denting the dreams of their Queensland rivals – with an upset win over Brisbane.

The stat: This match pits the team with the most potent attack against the team with the leakiest defence in the competition. Brisbane leads the AFL with its average of 91 points a game, while Gold Coast concedes a league-worst 97 points a game against it.
The match-up: The battle between Alex Sexton (No.168 on the Official AFL Player Ratings) and Noah Answerth (492) should be a beauty. Sexton is a clever goal-poacher who has snagged 35 majors this season despite the Suns' struggles. Answerth, fresh off a Rising Star nomination, is racking up the small-forward scalps in recent weeks, keeping Luke Breust and Sam Lloyd goalless in the past fortnight.
It’s a big week for: Gold Coast skipper Jarrod Witts plays his 100th game. The hulking ruckman has had a fabulous individual season – his first as co-captain alongside David Swallow – and would love to mark the milestone with a win.

664428_ll.jpg

Big call: Cam Rayner to have the breakout game he's been threatening, kicking four goals.
Prediction: Brisbane by 47 points

More By Michael Whiting

Last edited:

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Nobody knows what my nose knows.

Very difficult to get too excited about this game. A win would be good. Percentage would be handy.

Oh dear, I'm becoming flippant about the possibility of us winning a game. Wouldn't have happened a year ago.

Congratulations to Witts. Possibly the third-best ruckman in the comp., and the one with the most hitouts for the season. He's improved out of sight. I have always had a soft spot for him, even though he once played for Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's just one game, but would really set you up.

Im confident we can win but I dont think it'll be a huge blow out people are expecting.

As long as we win one of the following games, preferably the one against Richmond, that would give us some confidence.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't really see how GC can be competitive but who knows.
They have a habit of turning on the afterburners for their Brissy matches, although usually they find it easier at Carrara.

The context this year is a bit different though as well I think.

Still, in these fixtures anything can happen. The Lions still need to be switched on today because they have far more to lose.

Tinyparts

Debutant
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully the suns put in a good show
Not just for my teams chance@ a home final but for themselves as well
They need a win. Mental or otherwise

Back