Game Day Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants - Semi Finals - Sat 14 Sep, 7:25PM AEST, Gabba. No umpire complaints until after the game.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
If this goes to extra time with a couple season-enders I'll be devo. With the Eagles gone, Brisbane and GWS all the way.

Sadly both have scarce MCG experience and will have to face that in the prelim against a big crowd.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
This should've been a Saturday afternoon game.
Agreed, has the right feel for a day game. Weather is ideal in Brisbane today for September football.

That said, I'm a lifelong Raiders fan, and looking forward to seeing their Storm qualifier back-to-back rather than clashing.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Your use of the term lucked out intrigues me

Favourable draw (due to last season's low finish) combined with a dream injury run.

4-5 this year against the other top 8 sides, with a percentage of 85.63 (average of 86.38 for and 100.88 against), including finals so far. I think it's fair to say that their style is able to be countered (and scored against relatively heavily, too) by the best sides.

I feel like if the Giants bring the same intensity and hardness at the ball as they did last week, they'll comfortably out-muscle the Lions here and win the game.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Favourable draw (due to last season's low finish) combined with a dream injury run.

4-5 this year against the other top 8 sides, with a percentage of 85.63 (average of 86.38 for and 100.88 against), including finals so far. I think it's fair to say that their style is able to be countered (and scored against relatively heavily, too) by the best sides.

I feel like if the Giants bring the same intensity and hardness at the ball as they did last week, they'll comfortably out-muscle the Lions here and win the game.
Yeh yeh. Missed the point of my post. Some people say lucked out as in they had good luck.
Others say lucked out as in they had bad luck.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Want Brisbane to win, but if they're not as much a threat to the rest, I'd prefer GWS to spoil the Victorian party.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Yeh yeh. Missed the point of my post. Some people say lucked out as in they had good luck.
Others say lucked out as in they had bad luck.

I would think most people would say "out of luck" if they had bad luck or ran out of luck, but everyone's usage of language is different.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Want Brisbane to win, but if they're not as much a threat to the rest, I'd prefer GWS to spoil the Victorian party.

It's the other way around though.. GWS are trash at the MCG. Can't see them winning 2 games in a row there, let alone 1.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
It's the other way around though.. GWS are trash at the MCG. Can't see them winning 2 games in a row there, let alone 1.
Call me a crazy optimist, but the bulk of the GWS players are reaching a level of maturity that sooner or later the ground won’t matter. Similar cycle with West Coast.
For the Giants it’s more about having a proper go than where they’re playing. Hopefully they have a real crack tonight, otherwise we’ll be wondering about the MCG hoodoo for another year.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Call me a crazy optimist, but the bulk of the GWS players are reaching a level of maturity that sooner or later the ground won’t matter. Similar cycle with West Coast.
For the Giants it’s more about having a proper go than where they’re playing. Hopefully they have a real crack tonight, otherwise we’ll be wondering about the MCG hoodoo for another year.

Possible they could change their fortunes at the G. I hope you don't because you will be playing us. But now is definitely the time for you, because your star players are at their peak. In saying that, I do think GWS will get it done tonight. More ahead in the development than Brisbane.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Coolingwood supporters are sounding like Richmond fans from this time last year

Nah.. our lid is still on.

I'd rather play Brisbane than GWS to be honest. GWS have more dangerous players, that can win the game on their own. Brisbane.. only Neale or Cameron is capable of this.... lock down these guys, they lose. GWS has too many to reel off. Can't tag them all.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Nah.. our lid is still on.

I'd rather play Brisbane than GWS to be honest. GWS have more dangerous players, that can win the game on their own. Brisbane.. only Neale or Cameron is capable of this.... lock down these guys, they lose. GWS has too many to reel off. Can't tag them all.

If, Big if, we are good enough to won tonight we also may have Cogs back as well. He will be fired up.

If you looked at GWS last week you would think they would win. But they had redemption written all over their performance against dogs after R22 smacking and their last final against them. They really wanted it, but overall they just let you down and won’t have the same edge this week. Still Brisbane inexperience will make for an even contest. Brisbane at home.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you looked at GWS last week you would think they would win. But they had redemption written all over their performance against dogs after R22 smacking and their last final against them. They really wanted it, but overall they just let you down and won’t have the same edge this week. Still Brisbane inexperience will make for an even contest. Brisbane at home.

I'm not so sure about that... they have been under performing in finals for years. I feel like it's their time to make a stand... and versus a young team that hasn't played finals for a long time.. seems Brisbane is ripe for the picking here.

Back