Preview Brisbane Lions v Hawthorn - Round 11 - At the Gabbatoir @ 7:25PM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE WILL SEE! DOES HE HAVE THE COURAGE TO ACCEPT MY CHALLENGE!
Just got off the phone to Charlie, Dan & Eric. They are humbled to think you and your son are willing to go to such lengths as to impart your unbelievable goalkicking knowledge to them. (Obviously your reputation is well known throughout the land!) The 3 of them would be eternally grateful if you could meet them at Ted's Oval tomorrow morning for an hour session with your young fella. They also wanted to say that they are willing to pay you handsomely for your efforts & wise teachings should you accept the invitation. Is 6.00am tomorrow morning acceptable? I know its very early but the 3 of them need to get back to the Gabba later on in the day for another commitment. If so, please respond back accordingly and they will see you down there at 6.00am.

I get it that they're fatigued but they're professional athletes used to it and how much is fatigue a factor when you've just got to kick it 20 or 30 and have plenty of time to get your breath and compose yourself

I mean we can make up all the excuses we like ,and they are factors ,but 95% of it is between the ears.

Have any of you armchair experts watched any other games this season?

Most teams have been dreadful at goalkicking and many worse than us. Its a competition wide issue not specific to our players.
I'm talking easy set shots ,not too hard an angle 20-30m. We seem to have missed more than our share of those. Perhaps I'm mistaken and everybody is.

The kicking thing for me is obvious.

- They draft athletes before footballers, Guys like Rocky and Neale slide
- They are expected to do so much more and retain so much more information, running patterns, defensive strategy, set plays
- They only train about 1.5 hours a week (I was shocked to see how little time they actually spend on the track)
- Players are encouraged to play golf or surf instead of doing 'extras' these days, players should be doing extras. You hear the stories about the best sports people doing extras, Kobe Bryant missed a crucial free throw one night and stayed back to 3am after the game in the stadium until he hit 1000 free throws, I would be surprised to hear Hipwood being down at a local oval on his day off getting shots up (like Fevola said he did all the time). A surfer surfs in his spare time, a golfer players courses around the world outside of competition, with footy.. players only so the alloted time these days (in most cases.
- Pressure, players seems a little bit less adjusted to pressure.

Comparing Tony Lockett to Eric Hipwood is a waste of time though, if you are going to do that, lets bag Plugger as equally for being 20 kgs over weight and offering nothing outside of marks and set shots, he wouldn't survive 5 minutes these days.

I'm talking easy set shots ,not too hard an angle 20-30m. We seem to have missed more than our share of those. Perhaps I'm mistaken and everybody is.

I haven't seen a breakdown of those from this season but I'm pretty sure there have been others just as bad.

If you are going to focus on the easy ones though you miss the harder ones which I would say anecdotally we have converted a lot off.

I think champion data does collate expected scores by shot type and location but like much of their stats they aren't shared publicly.

- They are expected to do so much more and retain so much more information, running patterns, defensive strategy, set plays
- They only train about 1.5 hours a week (I was shocked to see how little time they actually spend on the track)
- Players are encouraged to play golf or surf instead of doing 'extras' these days, players should be doing extras. You hear the stories about the best sports people doing extras, Kobe Bryant missed a crucial free throw one night and stayed back to 3am after the game in the stadium until he hit 1000 free throws, I would be surprised to hear Hipwood being down at a local oval on his day off getting shots up (like Fevola said he did all the time). A surfer surfs in his spare time, a golfer players courses around the world outside of competition, with footy.. players only so the alloted time these days (in most cases.

Comparing Tony Lockett to Eric Hipwood is a waste of time though, if you are going to do that, lets bag Plugger as equally for being 20 kgs over weight and offering nothing outside of marks and set shots, he wouldn't survive 5 minutes these days.

Mainly during the season. Do EPL players or NBA players do extra work with a short turn-around between games?

How long do they have between golf and surf tournaments to practice? Also its not like theyre endurance sports.

Mainly during the season. Do EPL players or NBA players do extra work with a short turn-around between games?

How long do they have between golf and surf tournaments to practice? Also its not like theyre endurance sports.
I remember Micky Conlan used to kick all these miracle goals and he'd spend the whole day practising running shots from impossible angles . Aker the same.

There aren't too many sports where the more you practice the better you don't get . Golfers,athletes, tennis players ,rowers never stop

I remember Micky Conlan used to kick all these miracle goals and he'd spend the whole day practising running shots from impossible angles . Aker the same.

There aren't too many sports where the more you practice the better you don't get . Golfers,athletes, tennis players ,rowers never stop

Aussie rules players don't stop during the season.

A well known footy fitness guru who's been around a long time and shall remain nameless told me that Tennis players would be twice as fit as any AFL footballer because they train harder and far more regularly. What relevance that is I'm unsure.

WOW... that post has so much in-accurate assumptions its amazing.
No dis-respect to the above lioninthesand, you have zero idea as to how many hours an afl footballer spends on the training track if you believe its 1.5 hours a week. Not sure where you dug that up from but its not true.You also have no idea as to how many hours Hipwood or any other player spent on his goal kicking this week or any other week for that matter.
I agree with one comment about the time spent on retaining information, running patterns etc...its very much a big part of todays game.

No dis-respect to the above lioninthesand, you have zero idea as to how many hours an afl footballer spends on the training track if you believe its 1.5 hours a week. Not sure where you dug that up from but its not true.You also have no idea as to how many hours Hipwood or any other player spent on his goal kicking this week or any other week for that matter.
I agree with one comment about the time spent on retaining information, running patterns etc...its very much a big part of todays game.
The arguments are spurious though aren't they. It should be the simplest thing to pop one through from close in however much you don't practice and clearly for a lot of players it isn't so the main reason they sometimes struggle to do it is obviously a mental one.

A well known footy fitness guru who's been around a long time and shall remain nameless told me that Tennis players would be twice as fit as any AFL footballer because they train harder and far more regularly. What relevance that is I'm unsure.

Would have to be they play up to three or four hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awkward in the press conference when Fages was asked about Walker.

Actually, Danny Daley confirmed they spent 1.5 hours 'on the track' about 18 months ago in a coaches wrap.

I think it was 1 X's 40 minute session and one X's 50 minute session. He said 'there was almost no time to implement game style changes through the year". so yes, unless it has changed, they spend about 1.5 hours a week doing skills and actually training. There is time for reviews, meetings, weights and community time that needs to be done.

I also said "I would be surprised to hear Hipwood being down at a local oval on his day off getting shots up" which was an opinion, not fact. This wasn;t based on his work ethic, it was based on the fact that - sports science restrict how many shots the forwards have a week, the club encourages them to escape footy int heir own time and there has never been talk of our forwards doing extra sessions, I think, despite the strength of your post, it is a fairly safe assumption.

Would you be keen to disclose how you have inside information to the contrary to what I am saying? otherwise, my opinion remains.

Yeah, there is always lots of talk about NBA players doing extra sessions in the gym, arriving early and leaving later - in season. They also all do their own summer camps, self driven, before pre-season camp. Might not be true for all players, but 'doing extras' is a big part of their process over there.

I am not saying it's because our players are lazy, it;s just a different generation, they are encouraged to escape the footy bubble and do other sports, told not to exert themselves too much outside of the club and are forced to study the game way more as opposed to focusing on basic drill exercises.

Yeah, there is always lots of talk about NBA players doing extra sessions in the gym, arriving early and leaving later - in season. They also all do their own summer camps, self driven, before pre-season camp. Might not be true for all players, but 'doing extras' is a big part of their process over there.

I am not saying it's because our players are lazy, it;s just a different generation, they are encouraged to escape the footy bubble and do other sports, told not to exert themselves too much outside of the club and are forced to study the game way more as opposed to focusing on basic drill exercises.

They also get rested though don't they?

Also, if not doing extras is the consensus best practice amongst the 18 teams. Doesn't that tell you a lot? It's not like Collingwood is training twice as much and are therefore the best team and Carlton rarely train.

Also, if not doing extras is the consensus best practice amongst the 18 teams. Doesn't that tell you a lot? It's not like Collingwood is training twice as much and are therefore the best team and Carlton rarely train.
I think the issue to me is whether the players doing extra themselves to work on their skills is any use or not .

Logically you'd think it would be.

I think the issue to me is whether the players doing extra themselves to work on their skills is any use or not .

Logically you'd think it would be.

So the players and coaches aren't logical?

So the players and coaches aren't logical?
Well I didn't say that.

I'm just talking what anyone with common sense and some understanding of observing and listening to how people who excel in their sports get better and that's generally by practising their skills/art till the lights go out.

So you think that wouldn't apply to Aussie Rules for some reason ?

Well I didn't say that.

I'm just talking what anyone with common sense and some understanding of observing and listening to how people who excel in their sports get better and that's generally by practising their skills/art till the lights go out.

So you think that wouldn't apply to Aussie Rules for some reason ?

Apparantly they kick the majority of shots on goal at training. There must be a point at which increasing the amount of shots you take doesn't lead to gained accuracy.

Apparantly they kick the majority of shots on goal at training. There must be a point at which increasing the amount of shots you take doesn't lead to gained accuracy.
Well that's what I've been saying all along .95 % of it is mental.

But for really difficult miracle goals the likes of which Conlan, Aker and Eddie Betts kick , they practiced all of those in their spare time incessantly.

You don't repeatedly pull those out of your backside or from the normal training drills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back