Brisbane Lions V Port Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally would have liked to have seen it a "reserves" game. Both Brisbane & Port with 1 & 2 stitched up should be using the game to rest those with niggling injuries, play a few kids, maybe experiment a little. Both sides taking full advantage of a luxury before finals.

However with the "MCG Rule", the difference between first and second will be enourmous. It's definitely "sheep stations". My fear is that it may become very ugly......injuries, reports etc, to the detriment of both sides chances for the "big one".

Oh for an even playing field.

Cheers,

Fatty

Now that its going to happen, the MCC might change their minds on the issue and work something out with the AFL. Its going to be one hell of a game next week. It better be shown on TV Live. But yeah Fatty, that would have been good resting players.

I'd be very surprised if it got to be a big punch up....I don't think players from either side want to miss a final through suspension, after seeing what happened to Bickley (and Wakelin).

Should be an interesting game....we'll see if Brisbane are overrated or not this week, I'd reckon.

Originally posted by Porthos

Should be an interesting game....we'll see if Brisbane are overrated or not this week, I'd reckon.

Huh? Porthos care to elaborate? You have certainly lost me on that one.

I take it you are saying the Lions are over-rated? Go going into rnd 22, albeit by percentage only, at top spot makes them over-rated? Or is it something else?

Is it that you are feeling that Port are currently under-rated so a win over Brisbane would make Lions over-rated, and thus prove Port under-rated?

I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone on this board under-rating Port, and at the same time under-rating the task the Lions have ahead of them next weekend.

I basically mean that at the start of the year, most people had Brisbane down as deadset certainties, and even while Port were top, most people did, and still now, most people do.

I don't reckon its a one horse race by any stretch, and if Port win this game reasonably well, you'd think a few people would need reconsider their `Brisbane certainties' theories, and put Brisbane on a slightly lower rating than currently.

On this board, maybe not. On any other, you betcha.

Fair enough!

If you do however decide to take on the rest of the boards with your under-rated theory, be careful - you don't want to end up being a clone of ok.crows!!! :eek:

I'm happy to let the results do my talking for me :cool:

To some extent, I agree with Porthos' implied assertion that Brisbane are overrated, in that since we regained top spot by percentage no-one seems to really rate Port and have been talking about Brisbane as premiership certainties.

Port's been going along very nicely, winning despite injuries and suspensions, winning in Perth twice (although travelling time is considerably less than for most teams), winning plenty of Melbourne games. They're good. They'd certainly be worthy premiers.

Perhaps it's not so much that the Lions are overrated as much as the Power's underrated.

I basically mean that at the start of the year, most people had Brisbane down as deadset certainties, and even while Port were top, most people did, and still now, most people do.

Perhaps. Port Adelaide were my pick for the premiership at the start of the year actually. I was reasonably confident that Brisbane would finish in the Top 4, but certainly wasn't sure if the premiership 'hangover' would kick in or not.

I don't reckon its a one horse race by any stretch, and if Port win this game reasonably well, you'd think a few people would need reconsider their `Brisbane certainties' theories, and put Brisbane on a slightly lower rating than currently.

I think you'll find that the 'Brisbane certainties' theory is certainly not coming from Brisbane officials, members or supporters on these boards or any other place. Where it is coming from is from the media and also from opposition supporters and officials, Bomber Thompson being the latest example.

I think most Lions supporters on this board are reasonably confident we'll perform at least reasonably well in the finals and are hopeful of the Lions making it back to back. I've never seen any of the regulars on the Brisbane boards categorically declare we were certainities for the premiership or over-rating the team.

I'm hopeful that I'll see a second premiership, but I'm also conscious there's still 4 wins to get against quality opposition and that anyhting could happen. I can't speak for others, but I certainly don't underrate Port.

it will be a great game with brizzie winning by 30+!

Brisbane are in a class of their own IMHO & it seems when they play a team that is supposed to challenge them, the players always seem to lift!!

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!
BTW; Lynchy needs 2 goals to get to 500 :D!

Lions Lions Lions Lions!

It's only Monday and I'm super-psyched!

I need some practical advice, people.

A friend of my girlfriend is having a birthday party on Saturday at 2 pm. WHO HAS A PARTY AT TWO PM?! The party is liable to last as long as the game and as far as I know, the game is not on radio or free to air in Melbourne. I have Foxtel at my place but the birthday girl does not, and even if she did, no doubt it would be the height of rudeness to plonk myself in front of the TV during the party. I have a feeling that boycotting the party for the sake of a regular home and away game would be frowned upon by said girlfriend, and since she doesn't follow football I'll have a hard time explaining that it is virtually a final. So what do I do???

Of course I can tape the game at home but I won't make it through the party if I don't at least get regular score updates.

Please help. No suggestion too silly - I am a desperate man.

You have to ask yourself the question - can you safely get through the party, home again and watch the game without knowing the scores - someone somewhere is bound to spoil it for you!

Then again this is NOT just a regular home and away game - so who needs any further excuses!!! Send your girlfriend to the party and enjoy the game!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a) - it is not a 'regular' game of footy, this is a final of it's own IMO. The outcome is crucial to the layout of the finals.

b) - Height of rudeness to plonk yourself down in front of the tv? Someone better tell my dad that! Many a time he has had to put in an appearance as business related social events, and without fail if it clashes with a Lions game, he can be found sitting in front of the tv at whatever house/venue the function is at. He has also been known to use his walkman to listen to a game whilst in church!

c) It is winter, cold and flu season............start getting the aches and pains now................by Saturday arvo you could hypothetically be suffering all the systems and be in the grips of the flu, or even beginning to recover from it, and going out would be harmful to your system. Staying on the couch under a blanket is the only way to go to make sure you get better.

i have to agree with danni....it seems most lions supporters arnt considering us as a sure fire thing to win the flag this year...
after last years effort i expected alot less actually after watching other teams go from top four places to bottom eights over a period of just one or two seasons....
but we are still winning, and though not the same as last years efforts,i actually believe the team has become tougher since the loss to Melbourne and thats gonna count for alot in a few weeks...
the Lions wont lay down for anyone....
i as every other lion fan ,would wish they we're going to the gabba to see this weeks game,we're not and i can only imagine the revving up thats going on in the lions camp this week....
Port will be tough as dads old boots at home.....
good luck to all....

blackers...i feel for ya mate, you've got yourself in a real curly situation...if it was me I would develop the migrane from hell!! works every time :D
failing that and i couldn't get out of going to the party i would have to get the game taped and make sure i didn't find out the score...best of luck, let us know what happens

I have family coming up and may lead to a difficult situation if I want to go into Albury and watch the game as I don't have fox here. We'll see.

Blackers, a piece of advice is just say you have a flu, fake it if you have to and say that you can't go because you don't want anyone catching it off you.

Update

The bad news is that I have now found out that this is not just a party... it is an afternoon musical soiree. This means it is my girlfriend's friend (who is a musician) and a bunch of other musicians playing jazz all afternoon. Suffice to say I am not a fan of jazz.

The good news is that this development has strengthened my resolve to weasel out of this event.

The flu excuse is a good one. I've been teetering on the edge of a cold for a while now so that would be believable.

The other option I've thought of is to do something really nice for my girlfriend between now and Saturday so she owes me one. Then I can weasel with impunity, and maybe even get her to cover for me.

Now I've just got to think of something suitably nice. It has to be sufficient to offset my bailing on an afternoon soiree held by one of her closest friends. Suggestions, people? And spare me the filthy responses - I've thought of them all already.

we have cricekt sign on from 1 til 4. Also my eldest may have a GF to umpire, wont know that till midweek.
either way, i have the laptop, radio ready and waiting.
not happy, but
bring it on
r u going over danni to watch the match

Originally posted by blackers
Update
Now I've just got to think of something suitably nice. It has to be sufficient to offset my bailing on an afternoon soiree held by one of her closest friends. Suggestions, people? And spare me the filthy responses - I've thought of them all already.
Piles.
People are too embarrassed to ask questions. :cool:

Breakthrough!

Said soiree has been shifted to 4:30, meaning that I can watch THE GAME and drop by afterwards. Disaster averted people. Thank you for your suggestions. I shall save them up for whatever my girlfriend has organised for September!

Porthos,

I must agree with RoyLion that we always saw PA
as our main rival this year.

And mate, we are not like the arrogant essendon
supporters, thank you very much!

lol

Originally posted by roostersgal4eva
it will be a great game with brizzie winning by 30+!

Brisbane are in a class of their own IMHO & it seems when they play a team that is supposed to challenge them, the players always seem to lift!!

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!
BTW; Lynchy needs 2 goals to get to 500 :D!
I take it you're Lynchy's biggest fan :p ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back