Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Richmond 10 to <30

Votes: 97 36.6%
  • Richmond by 30+

Votes: 41 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact I'm going to call it now, Western Bulldogs are the worst premiership side in VFL/AFL history

They've failed to do anything before and after their 2016 premiership win,

- Knocked out of the Finals R1 in 2015
- Finished 7th in 2016
- The only team in VFL/AFL history not to make the Finals the two following years after a Premiership
- Knocked out of the Finals R1 2019

Apart from a 4 week run, The Bulldogs are horrendous.
And they only won the flag thanks to unprecedented umpiring favours in the two biggest games of the year. People sooking up about Dusty's throw - the Dogs got away with about 20 in the 2016 GF!

The better team took your best punches then knocked you the fu** out.
And we thought pies fans were mentally dull.

Let's look at the facts

They haven't beaten us in the last 14 attempts
We won the flag in 17
Made the prelim in 18
Made the prelim in 19(and maybe more)

....but they're somehow the better team

Love how the media are carrying on about Grimes staging, yet not one squeak about Zorko’s staging. He was fined too! If the umpire had not paid the free kick, nothing would have happened. So I reckon Grimes is 1/3 responsible. Hipwood was dumb and the umpire atrocious and deserve at least the other 2/3 of the blame

I don't have any sympathy for Hipwood either but that's not the part of the situation I'm focusing on. I'm talking about the diving at face value - nothing more or less. It's already established he didn't need to approach Grimes at all so let's not distract ourselves from the topic at hand. Now, I reckon if you think it was 'smart play' from Grimes then you and I may have a slightly varied definition of the word 'smart'. It's not as though he came up with this genius, elaborate, well thought out master tactic to manipulate the rules. He simply performed a (relatively cheap) tactic that requires minimal thought, minimal smarts, something but every single player would be capable of thinking up, yet only the absolute minority choose to do it.

IIRC Richmond supporters have often been the first ones to be up in arms when Ben Brown was throwing himself about but jump to defend one of their own when he employs the same tactic.
Ben brown + free kicks is a more systemic issue, all clubs would want the ump dept to look at the unusual number of a specific type of freekick he gets. Not relevant here.

Grimes took off-the-ball side-on contact from a 2 m tall player and put some mayo on it.

Zorko Mayo-ed up too but faked injury as well to try to guilt the ump into a free kick (second phase Mayo)

Don't like players faking injuries, but players making sure the ump sees illegal contact? Happens 1000 times a game and honestly I think it's their right.

-Fling your head back if you get high contact then rub your scone afterwards
-arch your back and seagull your arms to accentuate when someone has got your jumper and you don't have the ball.

Anyway if the media is putting work into grimes being bumped over by hipwood, the 4 walls at Richmond are in very good shape.

The better team took your best punches then knocked you the fu** out.

Hahaha big man going back through the thread.

We were the clear better side in the first half, which was when that was posted. You're right, you ended up being the better side on the day, congratulations.

Only if you're an idiot....yep that adds up

Sorry which part do you disagree with? That 50 or so off the ball bumps happen a game? Or that they've always, and will always, happen?

Wouldn't think you've got a strong case arguing either of those points - even if you did have a grasp on logic.

We were the clear better side in the first half, which was when that was posted. You're right, you ended up being the better side on the day, congratulations.
Yep this was why I was relatively confident going in, thought the Roys went with us for 3Q in the first game in Melb but clearly dropped off in tackling pressure in the last. (Though I wasn't quite sure if they just took the foot off the pedal)

Then in finals level intensity, they were magnificent for a half before falling away.

Sustaining 3 or 4Q against the Giants will be the challenge. Think they are skilful and daring enough to trouble anyone the lions, but too young right now to sustain imho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep this was why I was relatively confident going in, thought the Roys went with us for 3Q in the first game in Melb but clearly dropped off in tackling pressure in the last. (Though I wasn't quite sure if they just took the foot off the pedal)

Then in finals level intensity, they were magnificent for a half before falling away.

Sustaining 3 or 4Q against the Giants will be the challenge. Think they are skilful and daring enough to trouble anyone the lions, but too young right now to sustain imho.

I think the wastefulness of the first half really took the wind out of our sails and a few heads dropped. Could have been a completely different game if we'd capitalized and went in to the main break a few goals up. Alas we didn't, and Richmond most certainly did, and they put us to the sword.

As you say too, I don't think anyone really thought this was our year, so as disappointing as it would be to go out in straight sets, this season has still been incredible We'll be much better for the hit out come the finals in the next few years.

GG

I think the wastefulness of the first half really took the wind out of our sails and a few heads dropped. Could have been a completely different game if we'd capitalized and went in to the main break a few goals up. Alas we didn't, and Richmond most certainly did, and they put us to the sword.

As you say too, I don't think anyone really thought this was our year, so as disappointing as it would be to go out in straight sets, this season has still been incredible We'll be much better for the hit out come the finals in the next few years.

GG
As Ancient Tiger pointed out, your wastefulness might not have helped us that much. Shane Edwards said after the game that Richmond just couldn't get the ball out of the back half and wanted Brisbane to kick a goal so that they could go back to the middle and reset. But Brisbane just wouldn't.

You were the better side in the first quarter. But you spent all your tickets. You couldn't sustain it, because it was unsustainable. It was adrenaline-based, which contributed to your misses. That fades, and then you're ****ed.

We were clearly the better team in the second quarter, and absolutely dominated the second half. 94-35 after quarter-time. That's a belting.

My point was, you're not a better team than us. You weren't on the night. You outplayed us for 25 minutes of a 120-minute game. That's like leading a 10,000-metre race by 100 metres at the 2km mark. We'd passed you by the 4km mark and you couldn't see us by the 6.

Good luck next week.

My point was, you're not a better team than us. You weren't on the night. You outplayed us for 25 minutes of a 120-minute game.

There we have it - we were outplaying you at the time of posting. We were the better side at that stage of the game.

We aren't the overall better team and we obviously didn't sustain the level of play that had us as the better team in the first half. But at the time of my post, we were clearly the better side. Whether that was us spending all our tickets or not is irrelevant, the post was still accurate in implying that we were playing better but were behind due to our inability to capitalise on our chances.

I was at rd22....imo i saw the best game of the year and two sides who were fast, tough, skilled and disciplined. Imo the 2 best sides in the comp as we speak

Agreed, no side took a backward step and no side gave an inch, it was a fight to the finish.
If we get past the cats this week which is no certainty, we hope for the same contest in a prelim. Shame it cannot be in the GF

Yes yes. Richmond's 2017 Grand Final was undeserved. Pity West Coasts stirring win last year ruined your narrative.
Anyway, I can't stay angry at the Eagles. Any club that has GF victory over Collingwood has done a great thing for humanity in my book.
Are you going to return the favor this year. I mean who doesnt want to see Eddie explode again

I never understand this argument of we played better but missed our chances. The whole point of finals footy is taking your chances. If one team has 25 scoring shots and kicks 21.4 V a side who has 30 shos and kicks 8.22. It counts for nothing. One thing counts and that is putting the ball through the goals.

And they only won the flag thanks to unprecedented umpiring favours in the two biggest games of the year. People sooking up about Dusty's throw - the Dogs got away with about 20 in the 2016 GF!
That was their game throw ball its a thing

Back