Preview Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood - Round 5 2019, April 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I lived in Brisbane for the 09 and 10 seasons and and have come up annually every year a couple of times a year including the Collingwood game at the Gabba in 2016 when we were held goalless in the first half IIRC and it always seemed to me that they we were well outnumbered when we played the likes of Collingwood and Carlton. Also keep in mind that a lot of Collingwood fans will travel up for this game being Easter and the generous incentives the Qld Gov't provided to Collingwood members to attend this game. We're barely scrapping 20K people in our first two games and that comprisies quite a lot of opposition fans, so given that this game is almost a sell out, most of those additional fans are Collingwood ones.
I just don't see the crowd of 35k being made up of over 20,000 Collingwood supporters and just 15,000 or less Lions' supporters. This game is also one that a lot of Brisbane supporters circle on their calendar as well.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Worth noting that Broncos attendance to their home games so far this year (except the one against North QLD which got 45K) have been 21K and 24K.

I remember that game in 2016, was looking forward to it more months and months, big Friday night game, then we came out and produced that first half.
That game was the one and only game where I felt like leaving at half time, stuck it out though.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We normally get 20,000 or a few thousand less to regular games. Opposition supporters would account for a few thousand of those numbers. Collingwood will naturally bring a lot more especially being Easter weekend. But I can't see how there will be more Pies supporters at the game than Lions? If its going to be a sell out I would expect 22-25k Lions minimum.

I can't see Hodge being dropped for such a big game - we just have to try and minimise him being exposed one on one in a sprint for the ball as he will be burnt every time.

Be very tempting to get Mitch Robinson to run with Treloar. He is so important to the Pies and if we can restrict him to 20-25 touches rather than 30+. Need to get Taylor into the side and playing wing/ half forward - to use the wide open spaces of the Gabba, link up and create run.

I lived in Brisbane for the 09 and 10 seasons and and have come up annually every year a couple of times a year including the Collingwood game at the Gabba in 2016 when we were held goalless in the first half IIRC and it always seemed to me that they we were well outnumbered when we played the likes of Collingwood and Carlton. Also keep in mind that a lot of Collingwood fans will travel up for this game being Easter and the generous incentives the Qld Gov't provided to Collingwood members to attend this game. We're barely scrapping 20K people in our first two games and that comprisies quite a lot of opposition fans, so given that this game is almost a sell out, most of those additional fans are Collingwood ones.
There has been an average of 20k per game so far at the Gabba.
And I reckon both Port and West Coast had about 2.5 to 3k supporters at those game so that leaves 17,000 lions supporters at those games.
With the game that it is I reckon you can add between 4 and 5,000 to that figure.
So I reckon we will outnumber them 2-1.
22k lions supporters
10k Collingwood supporters!

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Not based around this week I know, but even if both Suns and us lose this week that means next week at least one of the QLD teams will be 4-2 after round six. Better yet if we both win this week, that'll mean we'll have a QLD team sit 5-1 at the end of next week.

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
I reckon we'll be up against it here. The Pies (even when they weren't so good) always seem to travel very well. After a tough first month I suspect a trip away is probably quite a good thing for their group. Quality around the ground.

Our mids (sans Neale) need a big improvement if we're to match them. Also think their small forwards pose a very similar problem to Essendon...and theirs are a lot better.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I reckon we'll be up against it here. The Pies (even when they weren't so good) always seem to travel very well. After a tough first month I suspect a trip away is probably quite a good thing for their group. Quality around the ground.

Our mids (sans Neale) need a big improvement if we're to match them. Also think their small forwards pose a very similar problem to Essendon...and theirs are a lot better.
Agree, I'm going in expecting a 4-6 goal loss and hoping to be pleasantly surprised with a win, much like v the Eagles in round 1.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Hodge was good on the weekend. Sat right behind the goals and he stopped a lot of goals. People just want him rested I think?
Yeah I was at the game on the weekend and thought he was in our best 6-8 players on the weekend easily. When I watched the replay whilst reading the match review thread, I was really surprised at some of the comments about him.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
34000 sellable tickets.
Capacity is higher.
But it depends how many Gabba members turn up.
Club is hopeful of 35000!
Oh, sweet!

Read MW’s article, 36,700 is the capacity so must be 3k member seats. Will depend a bit on the weather as well. Looking forward to Thursday!

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Worth noting that the broncos got 24k to their last home game last Thursday, Lions will beat it by 10k. Go Lions.
So far this year they are averaging at 30000 , but that is because the Broncs Cowboys had 45000, then 21000 then 24000.
If we average around 23 or higher that would be 5000 better than last year.
Its all about winning and maybe making a statement this week win or lose to the Gabba faithful.

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
Same fixture drew a crowd of 21850 last year so anything close to a sell out is a remarkable up-swing in attendance in under 12 months.

I suggest there will be slightly more Pies supporters than last year so maybe around 8k.

Obviously the usual rusted on 12k of season members are going - those of us who have attended the bleakest of contests over the past 5 years (Lions vs GWS 2016 was about that mark). Plus the extra 5-7k of part season members and semi regulars.

More importantly the main increase will be occasional fans, local casual event goers and bandwagoners who will make up the extra 10k.

If it is anything close to that game last year we are in for a treat! Win and the lid will be off and the Lions might even feature on the back page of the local newspaper.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The calls for Hodge to be rested increased after his relatively indifferent last couple of games. Is his spot beyond reproach regardless of his playing standard?

Far as I know you make unforced changes to make your side better. Who you bringing in too to do that? No his spot is not beyond reproach but if a 25 year old was playing the same standard would not be considering dropping him. A lot are saying to “rest” him purely because of his age. I assume you don’t believe he is best 22?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't see us being beaten on Thursday. Last year we nearly beat them at home and we have improved since then.
Well I also don’t mind being 4-1 and broke,maybe I’m each way betting..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back