Preview Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood - Round 5 2019, April 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early in the season but a win in a big game like this puts us right in the mix for finals at 4-1. The Bombers team last week would have destroyed anyone in the competition in that form, that was absolutely white hot. The thing that worries me a bit is are we good enough to overcome sustained and well executed defensive pressure. Bombers and Port had us for the majority of the game, very lucky to get out of the Port game with a win.

Only listened on the radio but from what l heard Hippy and McStay were pretty much useless against Essendon. If it were me, l would swap McStay with a smaller running player or maybe a Wooler type. We already have Hippy and Big O. 2 keys are fine.

I was in the Forward Pocket at the Punt Rd end and I watched McStay closely during the 2nd and Final Quarter. Simply put, McStay was next to no value. He refused to lead and demonstrated a lack of awareness in terms of where he needed to be. He is easy for defenders to handle because all he wants to go is take underage football style speckies. He also still needs to work on his kicking. He has kicked 5 goals from 4 games for an average of 1.25 per game playing exclusively in the Forward line. A couple of those were cheapies also. Not good enough. Oscar has kicked 4 goals in 4 games playing as a ruckman resting in the Forward line. Even Ryan Bastinac has managed 2 goals from 3 games for an average of 1.5.

McStay needs to lift to hold his spot.

I was in the Forward Pocket at the Punt Rd end and I watched McStay closely during the 2nd and Final Quarter. Simply put, McStay was next to no value. He refused to lead and demonstrated a lack of awareness in terms of where he needed to be. He is easy for defenders to handle because all he wants to go is take underage football style speckies. He also still needs to work on his kicking. He has kicked 5 goals from 4 games for an average of 1.25 per game playing exclusively in the Forward line. A couple of those were cheapies also. Not good enough. Oscar has kicked 4 goals in 4 games playing as a ruckman resting in the Forward line. Even Ryan Bastinac has managed 2 goals from 3 games for an average of 1.5.

Who replaces him?

I’m going this Thursday for the first time in 4 years!! I’m super pumped already! Especially so since it looks like it’s sold out! 👍

I do have a question about the General Admission areas though (me and my mates have tickets for that area) is either one better than the other?

I saw on the Gabba map one is near the Verandah and the other obviously isn’t...would like to be sitting closer to Lions supporters rather than end up near the Collingwood cheer squad lol

Sorry if this has been answered already, but the Cheer Squad sit down the opposite end to the Verandah.

Could maybe go with a smaller forward line and chuck Keays in I guess. His form in the 2's certainly warrants being close to selection

Do you think our form overall has been bad enough to warrant a restructure. Sure if we weren’t one of the highest scoring teams it might be worthwhile but I think we’re going ok

Browny baked him last night and fair enough too - he just looked lost up there in the last quarter. It's one of the differences between a decent player and one who's going to be good (or better) - being able to influence a game when you aren't playing well. McStay probably hasn't shown enough of that quality across the games he's played.

Do you think our form overall has been bad enough to warrant a restructure. Sure if we weren’t one of the highest scoring teams it might be worthwhile but I think we’re going ok

No, I don't jackess - that's why it's a tough one. But when can't rely forever on just being on top in the middle to win games - we need forwards (in this case) who have the ability to create goals out of not much - and that's probably where we are struggling right now. When we get beaten in the middle, we don't win games - and that's not a recipe for sustained success.

Last year, even WHEN we won in the middle sometimes we still lost games - so there's improvement there - but we need to really capitalise on our entries when we are getting biffed around a bit. And at this stage, we lack that spark.

I'm not advocating, at this stage, wholesale changes to our structure - but there MAY come a time when we need to look at it.

I'm still bullish on what Daniel McStay can be, still reasonably young for a key forward although he needs to start delivering as we have a few who could go past him in the next 18 months eg. Toby Wooller, Sam Skinner, Marcus Adams and Connor Ballenden + very early I know Tom Fullarton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe it is only 2 days to the game, seems way too soon to be playing again already.

Maybe there'll be a couple of changes that we haven't even contemplated because of being too sore or fatigued. Although the reserves played on the same day it didn't look like it was much more taxing than a vigorous training session to go with no travel so they should be fine to come on in.

We don't know what the coaches instructions are though. Perhaps McStay is playing a role and is doing what the coaches are asking of him?
I doubt the plan is to not kick goals as a Full Forward.

McStay quite simply has to work a lot harder as he did in the game against the Eagles where he didn't kick a goal but laid tackles and crashed packs. He might have got two goals on the weekend but he was beaten one on one at least 4-5 times.

Really don't understand why he wants to just stand there and make it a contest of strength? When he leads he normally gets it. Has plenty of talent but seriously needs to start playing a lot smarter. If Adams gets fit and plays well in NEAFL he or Walker will be used up forward if Dan doesn't do more.

That's now Brereton and Jono Brown who have got stuck into him.

Early in the season but a win in a big game like this puts us right in the mix for finals at 4-1. The Bombers team last week would have destroyed anyone in the competition in that form, that was absolutely white hot. The thing that worries me a bit is are we good enough to overcome sustained and well executed defensive pressure. Bombers and Port had us for the majority of the game, very lucky to get out of the Port game with a win.
We just need to match their intemsity and pressure around the ground and especially at the loose ball and it should be a great match.
Gardiner and harris need to get amongst the marks to cut of their play and get us some rebound with Rich.
If those guys don't stick the marks and the ball hits the deck , we're cooked, could get ugly.
Wouldn't mind basti come back in to link up play, would trust him more than Squizzy for this game, thought he was beeter than Christo as well.

Would also like to keep a tall around the goal square or deep inside 50 so we have that reliable option, too many times l its been Charlie and the ball seems to come in on his head. We have 3 talls so not hard to do.
Mc Stay , Rayner need to make a big impact on the footy, hurt some bodies , make it a very physical game , that should be their instruction.
Some of these boys been a bit down so time to shine I hope.

Lions to come out breathing fire , Dragon fire.
Mc Carthy to climb on top of Cox's shoulders for mark of the year .
Make Em BLEED.
Lions by 13 lucky for some.

McStay quite simply has to work a lot harder as he did in the game against the Eagles where he didn't kick a goal but laid tackles and crashed packs. He might have got two goals on the weekend but he was beaten one on one at least 4-5 times.

Really don't understand why he wants to just stand there and make it a contest of strength? When he leads he normally gets it. Has plenty of talent but seriously needs to start playing a lot smarter. If Adams gets fit and plays well in NEAFL he or Walker will be used up forward if Dan doesn't do more.

Dan's best is good as we have seen, he needs to bring consistency of performance to the table.

Plan A seems to be all tall, Plan B seems to be all small (all Charlie). Would love to see Charlie and the talls learn to work together more effectively.
Yep agree We need to keep a tall there as well , too many times its a small by himself ,one on one with a tall defender.
The West Coasr game was a perfect example of the smalls and the talls working together, poetry in motion.

What about Adams 4 career goals makes you think he’ll be a better option?

Not saying McStay doesn’t need to improve but at this stage there’s nobody who’s a legit alternative to his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back