Preview Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood - Round 5 2019, April 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't talk about the "old Gabba" when packed full of rabid Lions as a sight to behold for nothing. I'm sure there are more intimidating places to play footy - but it's not gonna be a picnic for the black and white walkers (#GoT).

Treloar is scared. He looks like he's scared. It's the scared that comes from the unknown - the ground, the fans, the team....he has no idea. And he's scared of the conditions.

LET US ENLIGHTEN YOU, ADAM.
Reminds me of some movie. collingwood apocalypse.
Scene 1
Fages : "Play the tape please Nobes."
Treloar :" Pies supporters travel everywhere , never faced a hostile crowd outside Perth".
Fages : " Stop the tape .
Let me put it this way Willard , ah I mean Zorko,Treloar has gone completely insane".
Zorks: "Yes Sir Completely insane".
Fages : " and it's not hard for hm out there in the field, to think he is some kind of God being Surrounded by these Savages, Collingwood Supporters. He is operating with no regard to the rules or any form of common human decency ,his ideas have become unsound.
Terminate his involvement with extreme prejudice."
Zorks : " Extreme Prejudice Sir".
short Silence
Noble : Stares at Zorko " Terminate with Extreme Prejudice".
End of scene 1.

Sorry if been posted already - usually like Robbo but disagree with this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...uE_3z9ylunOe5Urx_fUxVaPXfXBrUMcqY71HIycEX7L4g

I actually agree with him - it's about using every tool we have to help our players focus. A high profile player, a captain no less, creating all the will he/won't he conversations and background noise last year undoubtedly affected the team. I don't want to see the players do anything to him pre game no insults, physicality (Until the siren) or friendly chats. It should be Dayne who? In our workplace, you are a nothing.

Pretty sure the go home five have been used as motivation at times.

Meet up after the game, but zilch before.

Day before Gameday.

A lot of hype about this one. If we get smashed on the national stage, we go back to being a laughing stock and it's a pretty hard climb back from there.

If we put on an entertaining display and lose by a small amount, we'd certainly gain a lot of respect.

If we win, oh boy, the lid will be off.

There is a lot of talk about Beams's reception. He had a huge falling out with a lot of the senior Guys, Zorks, Hodge, Rich want nothing to do with him, very strong dislike of the way he doubled back on the playing group. Will be interesting to see if hands are shaken and words are shared. Beams pretty much said it when he paused and said "I still speak to the Guys I am close with"...

Day before Gameday.

A lot of hype about this one. If we get smashed on the national stage, we go back to being a laughing stock and it's a pretty hard climb back from there.

If we put on an entertaining display and lose by a small amount, we'd certainly gain a lot of respect.

If we win, oh boy, the lid will be off.

I want a competitive performance more than anything else. If we lose by small amount then we are still 3-2 which I would have been overjoyed with at the start of the year.

A win would be amazing, but a competitive performance and an entertaining game is the baseline.

Legit danger game IMO. Not as in if we lose it's just another loss but as in the whole state is talking about us right now. If we get pantsed like we did last week in front of a packed stadium we go back to laughing stocks.

Players that need to lift are
1. Dan Mcstay. Just need more crashing and bashing.
2. Jarrod Lyons. If there was ever a game we needed this guy to show his contested work it's this one.
3. Rhys Mathieson. Same as Lyons. We simply just need to win the footy.

A spirited effort on our home ground is something I dont think I'll have the confidence to expect for a long time. Alas there is no better time then now.
on the money. Add Rayner to that 'have to make impact' list. Id also like to see zorko kick a few goals from 50 rather than behinds like the port game.

There is a lot of talk about Beams's reception. He had a huge falling out with a lot of the senior Guys, Zorks, Hodge, Rich want nothing to do with him, very strong dislike of the way he doubled back on the playing group. Will be interesting to see if hands are shaken and words are shared. Beams pretty much said it when he paused and said "I still speak to the Guys I am close with"...
He clearly was playing us for fools the whole time and Caro Wilson called him out on it . Im amazed Dayne can actually travel to Brisbane I just thought it would bring up too many memories for him hence why he left us . He has already stated that he wants to catch up with guys on the Wednesday and Thursday . We should have nothing to do with him until after the game .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope the players aren’t as Beams focussed as the fans and media.

Nagging fear the occassion is going to get to us. Too many subplots to handle.

I feel the opposite. I felt last week's game was going to be a poor performance due to the focus on this week's game. Now we've gotten that loss out of the way, I think our boys will be a lot more determined to win now. Here's hoping anyway haha.

I feel the opposite. I felt last week's game was going to be a poor performance due to the focus on this week's game. Now we've gotten that loss out of the way, I think our boys will be a lot more determined to win now. Here's hoping anyway haha.

I just worry that the build up for our players will be like getting ready for their dream date while for Collingwood it will just be another casual Tinder Thursday.

Just hope we don’t lose it in our heads before the ball is bounced.

I just hope the players aren’t as Beams focussed as the fans and media.

Nagging fear the occassion is going to get to us. Too many subplots to handle.

This is my biggest worry. Traditionally, when we get tangled up in subplots and there are eyes on us, we s**t the bed (last week being a smaller example of this). Hoping we have matured to a point we can embrace the occasion, but I am very worried there could be a 6 goal avalanche to start the game again.

He clearly was playing us for fools the whole time and Caro Wilson called him out on it . Im amazed Dayne can actually travel to Brisbane I just thought it would bring up too many memories for him hence why he left us . He has already stated that he wants to catch up with guys on the Wednesday and Thursday . We should have nothing to do with him until after the game .

I agree with the sentiment but it's not unusual for players to catch up before the game. I remember last year, Charlie went to the movies with a handful of Crows players the night before the Crows game in Brissy. I recall Hodge having coffee with Roughy before the Tassie game last year. It is safe to say he will catch up with Witho and Cam before the game.

I just worry that the build up for our players will be like getting ready for their dream date while for Collingwood it will just be another casual Tinder Thursday.

I think it might work in our favour.
we look our best when we are revved up , players spread faster and counter run when we lose the ball.
Also we seem to come in waves at the footy , putting preasure on the ball carrier or trying to win the loose ball.
Although we could turn it over with the occasion getting to us, but hoping what I said earlier will counteract this.
Still Bad turnovers will kill us , when everyones running forward , need to keep those poor kicks down to a minimum.
Easier said than done when we are trying to take the game on.

Mates off the field is fine.

On the field, he's just another black and white jumper and should be treated as such.

I'm with Robbo - there's a line in the sand, and that's the boundary line. Once you step over that, game on. I don't sanction anything illegal, aside from making it tough within the rules of the game. If he's there to shirtfront, I expect him to to be hit, as I would expect of any other player.

As for our mental approach - well, sometimes life just throws a really complex situation at you and I'm sure all of us here could name one in our own lives that came out of the blue and one that felt beyond our training or experience to handle. Life just does that.

Success in those moments isn't best described as "having guts/balls/toughness" etc - it's about recognising that you alone are responsible for the outcome, whatever it might be. And sometimes, yeah, you come off second best. But sometimes, equally as often in my experience, you come out on top. Exactly what that "top" is, you mightn't appreciate at the time and it's only at some point later that the wisdom in the experience is fully understood. This could well be us, right now.

We might lose tomorrow.
We might win tomorrow.

But, at the end of it all, the truth to be understood going in is that it's 22 vs 22 and we are in control of what happens.

Yeah definitely feel that. In many ways it's like a grand final for us. Sold out crowd against a big team on our home deck. If there was ever a game you'd want to perform, it is this one. Hopefully the players know that and don't overthink it/go in with the right mindset with guidance from Hodge and Fagan.

Worry slightly how we have gone on the big stage last few years - but I do feel like we are a new team now but there are a few lingering nerves. Flogging would be absolute disaster as this will be a lot of casuals' first game in years.

It’s pretty simple really.
Let Mitch Robbo line him up in the first couple of minutes then play footy. All will be forgotten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back