Not open for further replies.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
If Zac Bailey is the difference between 3 good wins and a 10 goal loss, then we should throw a lifetime contract at him.

If Bailey is also the difference between us having a fast vs slow backline, then said contract should be for seven figure money.

If Robertson was good enough to be named as an emergency in previous weeks, and suddenly shouldn't be playing, why was that earlier lauded as evidence of depth?

If the NEAFL team's best performed player isn't Ben Keays, why is he named as the sole emergency?

Yeah, imagine what the premiers of last year would do to us!

Let’s be honest with ourselves, the eagles were completely underdone in the opening round.

We had been ok in the first three rounds, but not great.

Yes we were off our game last week but even at our best we are still a step or two below the top tier teams.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
"Player X is underserving of their spot" isn't a compelling argument in itself. Need a compelling argument that another player demonstrably deserves that spot more. In doing so, you have to weigh up the "has the NEAFL made my preferred player look better than they are?" factor as well as weighing that against the likelihood of the player you want dropped improving their form with another opportunity.

Team selection is about constructing the best team for the job. Not a mechanism for punishing the current whipping boy of the week to satiate the masses.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Let’s be honest with ourselves, the eagles were completely underdone in the opening round.

Yes we were off our game last week but even at our best we are still a step or two below the top tier teams.

Ok. How good were Collingwood last Friday night against a team that lost to the Suns? Why is it guaranteed that they will play to their best and we will play at our worst 2 weeks in a row?

I don't see the point of being fatalistic about a big loss. I expect Collingwood to win but just because we played poorly against essendon doesn't mean that we will automatically lose big again.

It's true we aren't at the level of the top teams and that the Eagles were understrength, but not underdone, but if we are beating the teams around us that's a huge improvment on last year. Essendon are a better team than most and they were truly understrength last week.

Collingwood is a better team than essendon. With ease Essendon showed that we are an average team.

Collingwood will also show that we are an average team. Definitely improving but nothing more than average, whilst we have an exciting game style we still make lots if basic errors and allow teams to move the ball easily through the corridor.

The Suns are not terrible and will be a good show to knock us off in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really think a bit of a freshen up with Taylor and Cutler might have assisted ,whatever.

We'll know more about how certain guys are really travelling after tomorrow.

It's been a great start to the year, this match is a bit of an acid test , the guys are up for it , stick to the gameplan,man up and nail opportunities. Easy to say , let's hope we deliver.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jesus there’s a negative vibe going on in here.We are at home in front of a full house.Confident we will bring our best game.lions by 3 goals in a cracker.

Took one game for people to turn into Eeyore. There's understandably a lot of pain from the last decade though to be fair.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jesus there’s a negative vibe going on in here.We are at home in front of a full house.Confident we will bring our best game.lions by 3 goals in a cracker.
I'm not overly convinced by Collingwood although granted on paper they have more class around the ground than us. It's crucial that we really go man to man and make life tough for some of their 'stars'

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
Who are this VERY speedy Collingwood team that people talk about???

Are they faster than West Coast? Don't think so as the Coasters showed the Pies up in that department.

Are they faster than Port? If they are at least as fast, we should still beat them, as we beat Port with virtually the same line up.

Are the Pies faster than Essendon. Geez you wouldn't think so! The Bombers were pure lightning on the big expanses of the MCG.

As long as Pie's players aren't skating around the Gabba on motorised scooters, I think that we should be at least as fast as them! I don't believe that Zac Bailey has made THAT much difference since being out of the side! Of course our defence is going to look a bit slow, with the amount of ball & the speed in which the Bombers pinged the ball around!

I'm happy that we have shown faith with the same players!

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Changes in the teams from round 21 last year (the one we lost by roughly 5 goals).

Us
In: Neale, McCarthy, Lyons, Charlie Cameron
Out: Beams, Cutler, Taylor, Starcevich

Them
In: Beams, Moore, Howe, Elliot, Treloar, Callum Brown, Roughead
Out: Magden, Greenwood, Sier, Oxley, Mayne, Sam Murray, WHE

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
jeez its depressing in here. lighten up supporters. we can win this. Its amazing how good atmosphere can lift players and a sell out can do that. this is not the 2016 side against last years grand finalists.
Cutler and Squizzy stiff, but Robertson and Bundy cant get dropped on one game...last year at the mcg we took it to them in for 3 quarters. They are confined into the restrictions of the Gabba this time. Like we all said we need our good start. We need to hope if they have shots on goal they are not on target.
have faith, we can do this.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Lions by 10 goals. Hipwood to kick a bag. Hodge to have an all-time performance. Neale with 49 disposals. Beams to visibly s**t himself in front of 30,000 people.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With the right attitude and application we can certainly win.

Any team in this league is susceptible to intense pressure. Some more than others.

We will come out with a real intensity I reckon - hopefully the crowd acknowledges it and gets behind us.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
With the right attitude and application we can certainly win.

Any team in this league is susceptible to intense pressure. Some more than others.

We will come out with a real intensity I reckon - hopefully the crowd acknowledges it and gets behind us.

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back