Preview Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood - Round 5 2019, April 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So if you, luthir, don’t agree with a certain opinion then it is flawed?

Identifying form in all sorts of sports is based on how a team, or horse, has competed against an opponent and how that team stacks up against other opponents. It would seem logical to base a tip, bet or opinion on form.

I think the eagles were definitely underdone in round one. They played an extra 4 weeks last year and therefore their preparation was 4 weeks shorter than teams that did not make the finals. On the other hand we made no secret of how hard we would be going at the start of the season. We clearly were more battle ready than what the eagles were.

In my opinion we were not great in the opening round and for that matter neither in rounds 2 and 3. We made too many skill errors and allowed teams easy transition through the centre of the ground whilst getting carried by a few good individual performances. Essendon exposed our flaws and took advantage of their opportunities, eagles, north and port let themselves down by not capitalising on their opportunities.

I have been backing the lions for a lot longer than the last 10 years of gloom. I know what it is to stick true to my team however I cannot stand mindless hyperbole about a team, lions or otherwise, that is average.

In terms of subset, I sit with those who are realistic.

What's the mindless hyperbole though - that we have a chance at beating the Pies? Yeah the lids off chat has been OTT but it has also been fun to feel excited about this team for the first time in a minimum of 5 years.

I think your opinion is perfectly valid, and parts of it I certainly agree with - we are not perfect or a top team yet and we make plenty of errors. But not a lot of teams play error-free footy and even the top teams can lose to average teams as this season demonstrates. I guess I just disagree with the idea that thinking we can possible win or that the margin will be less than 40 is 'unrealistic,' or that there is something to hate about being positive about the team.

I expect the Pies to win tomorrow night. But I'm excited that we are a realistic chance and we have a primetime game, and I don't really see the appeal of predicting doom and gloom, but to each their own. If we lose by 40+ by all means take a victory lap though:)

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
So if you, luthir, don’t agree with a certain opinion then it is flawed?

There are opinions based on cogent arguments and there are Statements of Belief based on nothing other than assumed premises.

You assumed that you were "objective" and dismissed anyone else's viewpoint as "hilarious".

So you appointed yourself as the sole arbiter of objectiveness.

Do you see the problem here?

Last edited:
I fear we may not play our best and that they will be really up for this match. We have stupidly kept the good for nothing N Robertson in the team and the nearly good for nothing Christensen who is a cooked washed up has been who can't kick over a jam tin.. We could have had so many other better fast players in the side. Taylor is fast and Cutler is fast. AND he can kick 65 meters without trying. And that's off his wrong foot.

If Fagan and the other incompetents running the show had picked a better faster team in Round 1, we would be 4-0 now with a %age of over 170.

This game will be a bloodbath I tells ya.

Lions by 115 points
You and your "Chicken Little Sky is Falling Clique" mates can go and GTFO... oh hang on you're predicting a Lions win... all's good with the world.:thumbsu:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I haven't looked forward to a game so much for a lot of years, full house at the Gabba against a big Melbourne club, it'll be like the glory years tomorrow night, hopefully the result is the same as it was back then most of the time.

There are opinions based on cogent arguments and there are Statements of Belief based on nothing other than assumed premises.

Unfortunately a cogent argument around here looks like ‘Lions to win by 100 because we are awesome’.

I think I put my ‘argument’ in my previous post.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am happy I giving us a chance, before the start of the season I would have taken that. The fact that if we play to near our best we could win is pretty cool. Not relying on a complete and utter fluke like other year. More than anything I hope I don’t throw the remote through my very expensive TV due to my unhealthy hatred of Collingwood and everything to do with them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Logic plays no part in football.

Good teams lose and bad teams win. Look at the Suns who most predicted would have been pantsed every time they took the field. Last year we scared the Pies with a lesser team. Last year we beat the Bombers with that lesser team. Our forwards have been lauded by quite a decent portion of the media this year and smashed on here. The ladder so far makes as much sense as people voting for Fraser Anning.

We played poorly last week. And yes as a team we match up on some better than others. But guess what - so does every other team.

We are still a learning team. We are still a young team. We are still a team with 4 virtually new players trying to figure out how to deal with each new scenario as it arises as well as each other. We are also a team figuring out how to deal with pressure and expectation. In reality we are a team still learning how to win.

I don't expect us to come out and play like last week. Collectively there would be a few wounded prides from that game. Boys who pride themselves on what they bring simply didn't. Rarely do young, enthusiastic and talented people make that mistake twice.

I don't know if we win - as Leigh Mathews said in the podcast that's why we watch the game.

But I do know that with our team, the right endevour and attitude we have a bloody good chance. And those are the things that would have been worked on this week, not who to kick out of the side.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I don't mind your realism P-R-O - I don't find it overly problematic.

The thing I'm basing my enthusiasm on is simply this - how many of us expected us to be at 3-1 going into this match?

Most of us, myself included, felt that we'd probably by 1-3, maybe even 0-4, prior to the season commencing. So, either you're right and we've been fortunate to scrape over the line against better teams for whatever reason....or I'm right, and the Lions are destined for finals this year.

The answer, as I'm sure you're aware, is somewhere in the middle. We have played well in patches over the first month, not so well at other times and the overall aggregation of that is a 3-1 standing.

We are an inexperienced team - take away Hodge's games and our games played average would drop pretty sharply. We are going to make mistakes, we are going to make errors. It might be realistic to say we can't win against the Pies - but what does it mean if we do? That the Pies are terrible? Or that they just lost a game of footy? That we're better than them? That they are trash? That we're destined for the flag?

No - it just means we came into a big game, against a good opponent and executed well enough to get the 4 points. That's the realistic view. You could argue, with some success, that North and Port didn't take chances. But, that's part of the reality of footy - take your chances. We did, they didn't....we won, they lost.

Realism is all well and good - but doesn't mean that you can't have hope, because that's being realistic as well. Hope is a realistic emotion to feel, especially when you are 3-1, because there's reason to feel hope, not just blind enthusiasm. Nobody in their right mind at 3/4 time against the Cats in 2013 would have chucked a tenner on us to win the game - realism has a place, but hope also has a place.

Sport isn't about pure realism always winning the day - neither is it always about fairy tales. It's about both. I'll defend your right to be a realist at the same time as I am filled with hope about tomorrow night.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't mind your realism P-R-O - I don't find it overly problematic.

The thing I'm basing my enthusiasm on is simply this - how many of us expected us to be at 3-1 going into this match?

Most of us, myself included, felt that we'd probably by 1-3, maybe even 0-4, prior to the season commencing. So, either you're right and we've been fortunate to scrape over the line against better teams for whatever reason....or I'm right, and the Lions are destined for finals this year.

The answer, as I'm sure you're aware, is somewhere in the middle. We have played well in patches over the first month, not so well at other times and the overall aggregation of that is a 3-1 standing.

We are an inexperienced team - take away Hodge's games and our games played average would drop pretty sharply. We are going to make mistakes, we are going to make errors. It might be realistic to say we can't win against the Pies - but what does it mean if we do? That the Pies are terrible? Or that they just lost a game of footy? That we're better than them? That they are trash? That we're destined for the flag?

No - it just means we came into a big game, against a good opponent and executed well enough to get the 4 points. That's the realistic view. You could argue, with some success, that North and Port didn't take chances. But, that's part of the reality of footy - take your chances. We did, they didn't....we won, they lost.

Realism is all well and good - but doesn't mean that you can't have hope, because that's being realistic as well. Hope is a realistic emotion to feel, especially when you are 3-1, because there's reason to feel hope, not just blind enthusiasm. Nobody in their right mind at 3/4 time against the Cats in 2013 would have chucked a tenner on us to win the game - realism has a place, but hope also has a place.

Sport isn't about pure realism always winning the day - neither is it always about fairy tales. It's about both. I'll defend your right to be a realist at the same time as I am filled with hope about tomorrow night.
Well you always have to be optimistic otherwise don't bother watching unless you're a masochist.

Every week is another opportunity.

Anyone can beat anyone week to week in today's football.

So you're wasting your time even thinking about it except to say we know we'll have to play really well to beat Collingwood because overall they're more seasoned and talented.

But it's doable

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The only video I can find from our last win against the pies at the gabba which was also probably our last sell out of the ground. If the atmosphere is like that tomorrow night and we also win then I might not sleep for a week.

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
I haven't looked forward to a game so much for a lot of years, full house at the Gabba against a big Melbourne club, it'll be like the glory years tomorrow night, hopefully the result is the same as it was back then most of the time.
Remember going to a game where aker kicked a behind and apparently on tv eddie called the goal umpire the umpire from hell.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Interesting to see Collingwood invited the Brisbane Broncos coach to their training in Brisbane today to spend time with its coaches and then some of the Collingwood's assistants went down to Broncos training. No idea whether the Lions and Broncos have any sort of relationship and coaches sharing ideas, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting to see Collingwood invited the Brisbane Broncos coach to their training in Brisbane today to spend time with its coaches and then some of the Collingwood's assistants went down to Broncos training. No idea whether the Lions and Broncos have any sort of relationship and coaches sharing ideas, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure we have done similar things in the past, not sure if we have done it recently. It's the sort of thing that tends to end up as a TV news story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back