Preview Brisbane Lions vs Geelong Cats- Rd 16- Saturday 8 July @ 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do indeed. Your posts are s**t.

I think Close is done, but if Fagan picked him then I'd trust his opinion. Just because I'm willing to back our coach in with a team averaging 22 years of age, it doesn't mean I am without an opinion. If I were selecting the team, I'd have picked Dawson. Smaller and can play forward and back which could help vs Essendon.

So you're opinion is wrong because it differs from Fagans?

Tend to agree. Close offers less as a ruck than Smith,but is capable of kicking 2-3 goals in a game when he's playing forward too. Which for the current is more important. It's whether we want more games put into Smith for the future as our no.1 ruck or more contribution for now which I think Close offers. Smith does put up a decent contest and effort though. Hard to say.

True although kicking goals has been a bit of an issue for Close. His marking has improved considerably this year as has his ability to impact the game around the ground.
His role at NEAFL level has generally been up the ground, not playing out of the goal square. I guess thats playing to his major strength (running power), and allowing Freeman, Hammer, Schache and Oscar a chance to dominate up forward.

3KZ is Football Investment Services:
Big money coming for Brisbane with the inclusion of Hammelmann! Some sentiment in the market to suggest Dayne Beams may also assist Lions cause.

Cats gone tall so great to bring a swing man in such as hammer. Can play forward or back and allows walker and Mcstay to play forward or back. Great selection.
How often do we actually switch things up tho. Andrews always stays down back, McStay stays down back most of them time. Walker did it tho. Would rather guys who are full time in that position than bits and pieces players.

Geelong have Smith, Stanley, Blicavs, Hawkins, Taylor, Buzza, Henderson, Lonergan and Kolodjashnij.

Will be interesting to see how we match up with Martin, Smith, Andrews, McStay, Walker, Hammer and Hipwood.

I'd play Hammer on Buzza, Andrews on Hawkins and McStay on Taylor. Smith and Hippy up forward with Walker switching between the forward and back as required.

Hammers lack of repeat efforts and inability to offer lead up against the ferrals a few weeks ago was terrible. Hoping he has gone back to NEAFL and worked on that facet of the game. Prefer him down back. At least we have some flexibility to swing talls. Mcstays game was huge last week. Was great to see him clunking marks all day so Andrews/Mcstay defensive KPPs should be the way we continue.

I see him the obvious Gardiner replacement as the third defensive tall. Can't see him worrying the cat defence one bit.

So can only think his inclusion was based on his form in the NEAFL.

Would love Paparone to be given a chance as a forward to lead up and use his tank.

We can expose them with our run if Martin, Rocky, Zorko and hopefully Beams can break even with their inside mids.

We are clearly looking for as many tall defensive options as possible. That is why Hammer is in. He will be fine.

With walker and Mcstay also in we have some flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close is in trouble. I think he's done basically. If Hammelmann is getting games over him then there's probably something we don't know about Close that is causing him not to get selected.

I think Hammers goes forward while Walker goes back, simply because we might take the experience and poise of Walker over Hammers who could give up some goals from simple mistakes.

Great to see Beams back, huge upgrade from Barrett. I like Barrett though, really hoping he can be apart of our future.

On the subject of Mick Close, does anyone know what is his longest stretch of consecutive senior games at AFL level.

I am not advocating that he should have been selected this week, but I am struggling to recall a continuous run at senior level.

On the subject of Mick Close, does anyone know what is his longest stretch of consecutive clubs.

I am not advocating that he should have been selected this week, but I am struggling to recall a continuous run at senior level.
Some continuity would do him good look at what it has done for Robbo, for the first time I think he needs to get some experience down back now we are playing two rucks.

I'd love to see Michael Close come good, but he just doesn't seem to be able to take as many contested marks as he needs to. He looks so good 'on paper' but it has never really 'clicked' for him.

I'd love to see Michael Close come good, but he just doesn't seem to be able to take as many contested marks as he needs to. He looks so good 'on paper' but it has never really 'clicked' for him.
He is still young and missed plenty of footy. He is going at a goal a game, not disgraceful on a small sample size

Interestingly though he took the most contested marks he ever has the last time he played seniors. Unfortunately he missed a couple of easy goals.
Back.in reserves his marking has been a feature.

He is still young and missed plenty of footy. He is going at a goal a game, not disgraceful on a small sample size
How great would it be though to see him just EXPLODE one day and kick 6 or 7!

Interestingly though he took the most contested marks he ever has the last time he played seniors. Unfortunately he missed a couple of easy goals.
Back.in reserves his marking has been a feature.
Seniors is clearly a big step up. Maybe he is just going to take extra time. I'm not close enough to the club to know, but if he is a model citizen on the training track and works hard, it might buy him an extra year. Having Freeman on the list means he might stay if they choose to lose Freeman, but I suspect both players might struggle to stay. I don't really get a look at the Seconds. How is Freeman going? Better than Close?

I think Closes biggest issue is his football IQ and the fact he struggles to clunk contested marks.

I think he'd have a place in an AFL forward line in the right role but given the players we have at our disposal he is behind a few. Will definitely get picked up you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back