Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Congratulations to the club and everyone involved in our successful application for a license to field a foundation team in the women's league starting next year.

Will be a great journey to follow from the beginning. This thread might be a good catch-all for discussion to begin with.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:

Fantastic. Really really good to see we got this license. Swanny was saying there's something like 70,000 girls playing AFL in QLD, so it's brilliant to see us involved in building this league up.

Great news. Someone to follow who might win during the rebuild of our rebuild. Did the AFL mention anything about television rights or broadcasting?

Good to hear especially given the participation in QLD and the work setting up the women of the pride.

Surely can't hurt either in our discussions around funding for facilities either. A base for high level womens football in qld

I enjoyed watching the recent exhibition games and can see myself getting right into it once the competition starts. Based on the walloping they got from Melbourne though, probably be a slow build.

I enjoyed watching the recent exhibition games and can see myself getting right into it once the competition starts. Based on the walloping they got from Melbourne though, probably be a slow build.

That Lions team was a conglomeration of Lions and Suns from the Queensland team. Once the Lions proper start playing together, this won't happen (famous last words).

Wow Brisbane & the AFL is so progressive!!! Another money sink by the lions. Watch the fad come and go. Would much rather they spent the money on improving our men's team instead of this wasted facade that no one will be watching in a few years time.

Wow Brisbane & the AFL is so progressive!!! Another money sink by the lions. Watch the fad come and go. Would much rather they spent the money on improving our men's team instead of this wasted facade that no one will be watching in a few years time.
I dont know if they are sinking that much into it when the elite players on $25k. TBH womens footy will grow I watched a bit of snr womens game on the weekend, wasnt a horrible standard....though I am comparing to the lions.

That Lions team was a conglomeration of Lions and Suns from the Queensland team. Once the Lions proper start playing together, this won't happen (famous last words).
Not to mention the Demons and Bulldogs would have bought all the best players originally as they were the two clubs that featured prominently in the inaugural matches. That will even out when it comes to spreading the talent between eight clubs.

Worth noting the AFL is funding this, not the clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Women playing sports is a fad?

Worth noting the AFL is funding this, not the clubs

And also some government funding too, I think.

Both funds are not available to the Lions' men's team.

I don't understand any negativity towards this move. Women make up half the population, so it's great that girls will grow up seeing their gender being represented on a decent stage.

Ignorant on so many levels. The AFL is funding it and if anything, this boosts our credentials as a diverse, progressive community focussed club that will, if anything, make it easier to secure government funding for infrastructure in the future.

Hopefully you now realise that and don't derail what should be a positive thread.

The benefits of women participating in sport are enormous and proven. Further, girls drop out of sport at an incredibly high rate compared to boys of the same age. Something needs to be done to change this. The work being done by governments at all levels to increase female participation is important but so too is providing a pathway to elite/professional levels.

This will hopefully increase the supporter base which can only be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back