Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Be up front. What do you think? Don't hide behind whatever you think you're being clever about.

I think it's great, and have said so from the start. That's why I started the thread. Sorry you arrived late to the discussion.

I'm really looking forward to it.

I stayed behind to watch the womens game played at the gabba this year and was impressed with the product on display. The skills and physicality were impressive. Less scoring which I guess is a strength thing, but as a contest it was great entertainment. I absolutely will go to games next year.

The QLD u18s side would decimate any of the women's teams. He has a point about the standard of footy, it isn't exactly great as is and you've gotta remember it will be diluted further. The exhibition games have been the best of the best now split that talent between what 7 teams is it? The gulf between the top players and yhe rest is huge. Very good point alscotz got there.

Let's have an honesty poll. Who would go and watch an 'AFL' women's match on the same day as say, a VFL/country league match?

I will sometimes watch a women's Aus open match over the men's if I think it's going to be a better game.

The QLD u18s side would decimate any of the women's teams. He has a point about the standard of footy, it isn't exactly great as is and you've gotta remember it will be diluted further. The exhibition games have been the best of the best now split that talent between what 7 teams is it? The gulf between the top players and yhe rest is huge. Very good point alscotz got there.

The standard will improve with the ability to professionally dedicate themselves to it, I think.

A better pay packet would help that too.

If it's financially supported well, I can see it becoming a bit like netball at some point. If it's not supported well, like anything it won't last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A better pay packet would help that too.

This is interesting, my wife and I were discussing the $5,000.00 pay. I was of the view that it was a good start, given it was fully funded, we were unsure of how the comp would generate revenue on a day to day league level and it reflected the 'semi professional' level of the comp to start with.

She thought it was an insult.

I see the women's AFL at this stage as promoting the game by providing an avenue and a path to play the game at a higher level for women. It will attract and maintain players based on that opportunity, and I don't see it yet competing (or having to compete) as a career choice and to try to turn it into such would be counter productive and artificial. Discuss.

This is interesting, my wife and I were discussing the $5,000.00 pay. I was of the view that it was a good start, given it was fully funded, we were unsure of how the comp would generate revenue on a day to day league level and it reflected the 'semi professional' level of the comp to start with.

I see the women's AFL at this stage as promoting the game by providing an avenue and a path to play the game at a higher level for women. It will attract and maintain players based on that opportunity, and I don't see it yet competing (or having to compete) as a career choice and to try to turn it into such would be counter productive and artificial. Discuss.

IMO the AFL should want to do it right first time, since if it fails it'll set the whole thing back years.

In which case, up the pay. They lose a bit more money to start with but they were going to lose money anyway. It takes a bone of contention out and maintains the feelgood nature of the comp. If the comp gets to a point where the pay is the difference between it succeeding and not when they're talking about such small amounts, relative to the AFL's pockets, then it's not sustainable in the first place.

I think $5k is offensive too considering how long they will be dedicating to this inaugural league. Fair enough that they won't be on 100k, but that minimum would probably work out to be about $5-10/hr to provide entertainment that will be on TV that many of us will be watching.

Late to the discussion but the quality was better than I had anticipated. Tayla is a star - her marking is brilliant and that goal from 55m!

Speaking to a few people that have coached women's teams the common takeaway is female players actually take on board instruction and carefully adhere to gameplans. Which I felt was noticeable in the game on the weekend, with the girls willingness to shepherd and work for each other. They seemed pretty well-drilled on 1%ers

5k is definitely fair until they have a gauge of the revenue they are making. Who knows 5k could end up being too much. If it's successful then the girls will get paid more.

Can't say I know too much about the details of the comp - How long does the Women's comp run for and what time will it take up during the week?

Will the players be training full or part-time? Will they need to take extended leave from work (i.e. potentially some unpaid?)

They should all be factors when considering the pay as well.

5k is definitely fair until they have a gauge of the revenue they are making. Who knows 5k could end up being too much. If it's successful then the girls will get paid more.

Isn't it the case that the games will be shown with no men's games on at the same time?

I think there's a fairly strong case for the AFL to show the ratings of games that were on with clear air to advertisers and tell them that plenty of people will be watching. That one game on the weekend was watched by a lot of people, and I'd love to see a capable team running around in Lions' colours THAT SHEPHERDS AND CHASES.

Can't say I know too much about the details of the comp - How long does the Women's comp run for and what time will it take up during the week?

Will the players be training full or part-time? Will they need to take extended leave from work (i.e. potentially some unpaid?)

They should all be factors when considering the pay as well.

ive got a fairly in depth summary here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nwl-2017-summary-what-we-know-so-far-updated-5-9.1135698/

Players will be part time for the first season at least with very limited hours outside of match time - they are talking 9 hours a week - to be spent at the club. The comp will run for 7 weeks, starting the week after the australian open and ending in round 1 of the AFL season.

ive got a fairly in depth summary here - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nwl-2017-summary-what-we-know-so-far-updated-5-9.1135698/

Players will be part time for the first season at least with very limited hours outside of match time - they are talking 9 hours a week - to be spent at the club. The comp will run for 7 weeks, starting the week after the australian open and ending in round 1 of the AFL season.
thanks for that, not actually as time consuming as I thought it might be

Isn't it the case that the games will be shown with no men's games on at the same time?

I think there's a fairly strong case for the AFL to show the ratings of games that were on with clear air to advertisers and tell them that plenty of people will be watching. That one game on the weekend was watched by a lot of people, and I'd love to see a capable team running around in Lions' colours THAT SHEPHERDS AND CHASES.
Yeah I get it you're excited to watch the women's team play. Like the posts after me short season, not a whole lot of actual time spent training etc. it's far from 'elite' sports at its current stage. Just like the men's when they started with little to no pay it will go up if the league is successful. There's not that many self sustaining women's sports leagues. Set the bar low so they don't blow the budget trying to get this thing off the ground.

Yeah I get it you're excited to watch the women's team play. Like the posts after me short season, not a whole lot of actual time spent training etc. it's far from 'elite' sports at its current stage. Just like the men's when they started with little to no pay it will go up if the league is successful. There's not that many self sustaining women's sports leagues. Set the bar low so they don't blow the budget trying to get this thing off the ground.

No doubt you can't just pay them 100k - that'd be over the top. I just think 5k is too low - and it has been rejected by the AFLPA, so it'll go up.

No doubt you can't just pay them 100k - that'd be over the top. I just think 5k is too low - and it has been rejected by the AFLPA, so it'll go up.
Yeah even as a starting bargaining position it seems offensively low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back