Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
Why is it proving tricky getting simple stats on our new recruits? Heights and weights are standard listings with the boys, but they seem lacking from any of the bios I can find for the girls?

Why is it proving tricky getting simple stats on our new recruits? Heights and weights are standard listings with the boys, but they seem lacking from any of the bios I can find for the girls?

Seriously? weight issues are major contributors to mental health problems with girls so I can understand them not being published. boys want to get big, girls don't. Even top level female athletes struggle. I can remember an interview with Melinda gainsford taylor at the peak of her power talking about how she was an elephant and saw herself as being too big. and she was a brilliant sprinter that looked amazing.

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
Seriously? weight issues are major contributors to mental health problems with girls so I can understand them not being published. boys want to get big, girls don't. Even top level female athletes struggle. I can remember an interview with Melinda gainsford taylor at the peak of her power talking about how she was an elephant and saw herself as being too big. and she was a brilliant sprinter that looked amazing.
Geez...really? Well then someone better tell the Matildas, the Diamonds, the WNBA...

Seriously - the National draft is coming up and the boys who have nominated have had every measurement you can think of taken, compared and commented on. To have our girls' stats listed the same as our boys' is hardly a platform to start beating the mental health drum on.

Do you think we don't have male players sensitive about their height, weight, hair, teeth, shoe size etc?

Do you think the absence of a player's weight will mean that no-one will make a derogatory comment?

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geez...really? Well then someone better tell the Matildas, the Diamonds, the WNBA...

Seriously - the National draft is coming up and the boys who have nominated have had every measurement you can think of taken, compared and commented on. To have our girls' stats listed the same as our boys' is hardly a platform to start beating the mental health drum on.

Do you think we don't have male players sensitive about their height, weight, hair, teeth, shoe size etc?

Do you think the absence of a player's weight will mean that no-one will make a derogatory comment?
Probably because half are overweight as it is... it's their first preseason as a professional athlete so you should expect them to start to get into shape after one or two years of this. Give it time and we may see these stats, although I'm interested in their height stats TBH... I think Harris is around 180cm? Which surprised me for some reason I thought she was taller than that.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Probably because half are overweight as it is... it's their first preseason as a professional athlete so you should expect them to start to get into shape after one or two years of this. Give it time and we may see these stats, although I'm interested in their height stats TBH... I think Harris is around 180cm? Which surprised me for some reason I thought she was taller than that.

Tayla is 178 cm. Puts her in the 98.9th height percentile for an adult Australian woman. Equivalent of a 192.5cm man.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
She plays taller, due to the way she attacks the ball in the air. Also helped by the fact that the womens game hasn't gone as `tall` as the male game yet. Average height for female players would be closer to overall average height than would be the case for the men.

Frederick - Traub is a bit taller I think, but less athletic, and plays more the stay at home power forward role, so will be a good combo with Harris.

Tayla is 178 cm. Puts her in the 98.9th height percentile for an adult Australian woman. Equivalent of a 192.5cm man.
Thats quite amazing isnt it.
Only 1.1 percent of women are taller than 178cm. which is what? about 5'10".
Seems small doesnt it. Although still taller than me.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers

Nothin' wrong with 5'10" ............. unless it's married with 5'10" around the waist .................Doh!

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls

The male players' height and weight stats are taken in their draft year when they're 18 and never seem to be updated after that even though they are still growing and putting on weight. I don't think they're very accurate.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
CxxgpuuUcAAKHsm.jpg:large

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
more in that shot alone than is usually at the boys training ie. a dozen or so when i am there.

alas i forget most people are working during the week when the boys train.

In fact, the pic doesn't do it justice - there were a lot of people present. More than any men's training I've been to.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Nothin' wrong with 5'10" ............. unless it's married with 5'10" around the waist .................Doh!

:oops: ......Ahhhhh .... just so there is no misunderstanding ........ I was referring to myself ...... not one of the girls ........:rolleyes:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Really found this stat interesting. I'm 179cm. I work in a hospital, and there a lot female nurses (especially more younger ones) and doctors taller than me. But I have my own theory on that.

Also found out going through the players bio's, one of the Lions works at the same hospital.

Back