Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-28/lions-crows-dominate-aflw-all-australian-team

Sabrina Frederick-Traub, Emily Bates, Tayla Harris, Sam Virgo and Kate McCarthy made AA teams.

Harris is a very strange selection. Outside of one great quarter she was almost a liability at times. Thought Kasler should have snuck in very under rated.

Edit: Wow Phillips won the GOTY? This is a farce... was nothing special at all and was easily the worst of the three. Public vote... what a disgrace.

Wouldn't come close to calling Tayla a liability. She was leading the competition for contested marks at one point and often played with two defenders on her.

Judged against her lofty reputation she might have underperformed but she was still very good.

Kaslar was robbed.

The GOTY is a joke though. Had a feeling Ashmore and McCarthy might steal votes off each other.

Wouldn't come close to calling Tayla a liability. She was leading the competition for contested marks at one point and often played with two defenders on her.

Judged against her lofty reputation she might have underperformed but she was still very good.

Kaslar was robbed.

The GOTY is a joke though. Had a feeling Ashmore and McCarthy might steal votes off each other.

Definitely a joke. The best goals didn't win.

Fair enough, must have a different perspective of the game. I recall a lot of silly free kicks and spoiling team mates trying to do the impossible at times. I agree she provided a contest while often double teamed but those free kicks did hurt a lot. I just don't think she had an AA worthy season IMO. Suppose I was expecting more but if she underperformed as you said I can't wait to see what she is capable of. Next year hopefully she can lead the comp goal kicking. :thumbsu:

Having watched the aflw awards show ,I was a little shocked by most of the results .. the goal of the year for starters. The winner was clearly the most ordinary of the three nominations .. the public vote on this one ,clearly we , as a state are behind the eighball . Non afl,state up,against a heavily pro afl state .. we never had a chance . Mark of the year Harris should have been a contender and won it on about 3 seperate occasions compared to the winner . .team of the year. Biggest loser was kasler should have been in the backline let alone the bench . . For the eventual winner of the best and fairest Phillips deserved the crown , but the lions lack of votes throughout the count was staggering ... a team that was undefeated for the season should have been heavily represented . I don't know what the judges were looking at but it was a total disgrace .. as a league they should be extremely embarrassed by the outcome ... rant over

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-28/lions-crows-dominate-aflw-all-australian-team

Sabrina Frederick-Traub, Emily Bates, Tayla Harris, Sam Virgo and Kate McCarthy made AA teams.

Harris is a very strange selection. Outside of one great quarter she was almost a liability at times. Thought Kasler should have snuck in very under rated.

Edit: Wow Phillips won the GOTY? This is a farce... was nothing special at all and was easily the worst of the three. Public vote... what a disgrace.
Disagree on Tayla .....saved us in Adelaide with her rucking in the last,Ashmore should have made the cut easily.At least 2 of our defence should have made it.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me will there be any decent Queensland girls available in the draft this year. Lot of goid Victorian girls so wondering if we have anything?

Awards feel very much like Brisbane weren't watched alot so not a lot of recognition for their effort.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me will there be any decent Queensland girls available in the draft this year. Lot of goid Victorian girls so wondering if we have anything?
Kalinda Howarth, Arianna Clarke and Ruby Blair all in the level 2 (17 yo) NAB AFL Women's National Academy. Gabby Collingwood is supposed to be good. Plus Shaleise Law and Jade Ransfield were in the squad this year without really getting a run. Both slightly built and under 20 will probably be persevered with.

The issue might be how to fit them in given how even the squad was, and given I heard Ashmore and SFT have already said they want to stay if required. I imagine Hildebrand would stay if Ashmore does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kalinda Howarth, Arianna Clarke and Ruby Blair all in the level 2 (17 yo) NAB AFL Women's National Academy. Gabby Collingwood is supposed to be good. Plus Shaleise Law and Jade Ransfield were in the squad this year without really getting a run. Both slightly built and under 20 will probably be persevered with.

The issue might be how to fit them in given how even the squad was, and given I heard Ashmore and SFT have already said they want to stay if required. I imagine Hildebrand would stay if Ashmore does.

My understanding is that all the interstate girls will be staying in Qld and playing state league footy. As a marquee signing, I believe SFT has to play in Qld due to how the contract is set up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-17/womens-academy-to-fasttrack-young-talent

Congrats to Philips and all that, though I honestly can't figure out how neither of the awards went to a Lions player. I'm dead certain Ashmore's goal was the best of the three, though McCarthy's eleventy-billion metre sprint was a close second purely for how she blew her opponents away in the foot race. Not on team bias - it was a shot off the deck, while being chased, against the boundary, deep in the forward pocket that had to spin across the line just right. That's an amazing goal, and certainly beats a straight kick that bounces straight into an open goal for mine.

So is it alright to start the discussion on the make up of next years team?

Lifted from the womens forum.

• Clubs are tipped to be able to retain 20 players each before the draft, with the rest needing either to be traded or delisted. Players without a club will then be eligible to be re-drafted later in the year, along with new entrants to the draft pool.
  • Because of the semi-professional nature of the competition, it's likely player permission will be required before any trade is made, as it would be unfair to ask a player to move interstate given some AFLW players earn less than $10,000. Before the first AFLW draft last year, players were asked to nominate a state in which they wanted to play.
  • It's expected that club lists will expand slightly from 27 players this season to around 30 in 2018. The constraints of fielding a team of 22 weekly from a list of 27 had been an issue for the eight AFLW teams this year, even though there were provisions for replacement players to help clubs deal with season-ending injuries.
  • The AFL has committed to keeping the eight-team structure for next year despite the strong urging of St Kilda and Geelong for the league to reconsider its decision.
  • AFL chiefs are planning an expanded two-week finals series for the women’s game next year after the success of the first season.
  • Broadcast arrangements will also be looked at after Channel Seven and Fox Footy agreed to show this year's season for free.
  • FANS can expect free entry to NAB AFL Women's games in 2018 with the AFL keen for the competition to become entrenched in the sporting calendar.
References

So who stays and who goes?

So is it alright to start the discussion on the make up of next years team?

Lifted from the womens forum.

So who stays and who goes?

Seems like we could keep the whole team together if both club and player wanted. Just make sure that we put all our interstate players on our "20 players to retain" list. If all the leftovers outside the 20 are Queenslanders, we would have exclusive drafting rights to them unless they have nominated to be available to other clubs too.

I think the two marquees have to be re-signed separately. Hopefully Freo don't try to go the poach on Sabs.

Seems like we could keep the whole team together if both club and player wanted. Just make sure that we put all our interstate players on our "20 players to retain" list. If all the leftovers outside the 20 are Queenslanders, we would have exclusive drafting rights to them unless they have nominated to be available to other clubs too.

I think the two marquees have to be re-signed separately. Hopefully Freo don't try to go the poach on Sabs.
I have the feeling that Sabs has completely bought in to Brisbane. Eight or so months is a long time, but she seems pretty mentally committed to the Club.

So we re-sign the whole team and add Kalinda Howarth, Arianna Clarke and Ruby Blair to the expanded 30 player list?

One thing I believe I have learned watching the W league, is that we lack a physical player who will take the game on and lift the team. In short we lack our own Erin Phillips. So often in interviews Craig Starcevich and players talked about working as a team, and as good as a captain as Emma Zielke is, we lacked that talismanic figure on the field. Maybe Tayla Harris could become that player, but she will have to evolve her game significantly and develop an engine.

I agree with Sabs. I think we works at the club as well doesn't she. Which has got to help.

Tayla works for the club in the digi squad. Sabs works at AFLQ.

Erin Phillips is a clone of Samantha Stosur imo. We've noticed a couple of time when being interviewed.

..just saying.

...and imo, we got dudded in the awards section.

Harris didn't deserve AA her second half of the season was poor. But we will take it, nice to have one go our way for once

Remove this Banner Ad

Back