Women's Footy Brisbane Lions Women's Team - Official Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's her. Don't know what she stuck the hijab down with but it didn't move an inch.

10 year old playing 12s and she was clearly in the top two or three at the carnival. Tough little player (a little dirty too with a couple of cheap shots here and there). Wanted to run the whole show though, if a ball went out on the full she would run from miles away and try and take the kick.

She has no footy background? Holy crap.

Talk was the darling downs under 12 girls would have beaten the dd boys. The girls finished runner up at the carnival behind metwest green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't it be ironic if the cricketers can't get there act together and there is no Gabba test this year. Unlikely but.....
Would be salt in the wound. It would then have all been for nothing.
I'd much prefer the Test goes ahead, but the ground & pitch is in s**t condition and a global audience questions WTF Kevin has been doing.

Would be salt in the wound. It would then have all been for nothing.
I'd much prefer the Test goes ahead, but the ground & pitch is in s**t condition and a global audience questions WTF Kevin has been doing.
I am sure that Kevvy will have it in tip top shape by then.
He is probably deliberately delaying the healing process at the moment to prove that he did the right thing in the first place.
As it was always the intention to have it spick and span for the first test.

Any word on the home ground for next season? Brendale again? I remember hearing about the RNA contacting Greg Swann at the end of last season but haven't heard any more news

Any word on the home ground for next season? Brendale again? I remember hearing about the RNA contacting Greg Swann at the end of last season but haven't heard any more news
The issue is field size. Got to be at least 135m x 110m by AFL regulations I believe. It is absolutely right on the limit for both width and length when the dirt tracks are excluded. A ground of this size would probably suit AFLW however more than the mens game, but I can't see it happening.

Brendale again with us selling a game to Tasmania seems the most probable outcome in 2018.

Also we should have home matches against Carlton, Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle. If one game is sent to Tassie, I would imagine the club would want to keep the high drawing Vic opponents up here, along with the grand final rematch vs Crows. Probably makes the Dockers the likely candidate to play against us in Launceston.

Cooparoo beat Yeronga by 1 point on the weekend - wonder if Zielke sent a few sneaky texts to Bates, McCarthy, Virgo...

There was a brief exchange in the instagram comments for this pic:

Very close comp this year. Top four still isn't set with 3 rounds to play. Jordan Zanchetta, who was probably a lock for the Lions last year (2015 QWAFL B&F with Zielke) until she did her ACL, played her first game back in the Yeronga seconds last week, and was BOG, so should come back into the ones for the last 3 games. You'd expect her to be a high draft pick this year.

There was a brief exchange in the instagram comments for this pic:

Very close comp this year. Top four still isn't set with 3 rounds to play. Jordan Zanchetta, who was probably a lock for the Lions last year (2015 QWAFL B&F with Zielke) until she did her ACL, played her first game back in the Yeronga seconds last week, and was BOG, so should come back into the ones for the last 3 games. You'd expect her to be a high draft pick this year.

A badly needed midfielder for our list. There was also a FoxFooty article on some other potential Lions' draftees

KALINDA HOWARTH (QLD)

What kind of player is she?

A tough as nails forward who can take the game on.

All-Australian selector Kate Sheahan’s take

“Kalinda Howarth is the X factor. She has the green boots but she backs it up with her ability to do anything, whether it’s in the air or on the ground. She just does things that make you go, ‘wow’. She stands out as a high forward.”

How will she fit in at the Lions?

With Tayla Harris (Carlton) departing in the trade period, the Lions need to bolster their forward line stocks. Howarth’s combination of athleticism, toughness and ability to do the special things — in a similar vein to AFL men’s player Eric Hipwood — would help her slot straight into Brisbane’s forward mix. Howarth would also complement Sabrina Frederick-Traub and recruit Bella Ayre perfectly as the three taller players inside 50 — with smalls Kate McCarthy and Kaitlyn Ashmore there to provide speed.

LAUREN BELLA (QLD)

What kind of player is she?

The archetype for a modern day ruckman — athletic, highly skilled and can run all day.

All-Australian selector Kate Sheahan’s take

“She stood out to me as being probably the most equipped ruck in the competition. She really understood her tap zones and used her hands really well. She’s the athletic type I think the AFLW are looking for. She’s great below her knees for a tall girl.”

How will she fit in at the Lions?

Having a dominant ruckman would help the Lions’ midfield — which lacks big names but works incredibly well as a unit — get on the front foot and be more aggressive around the stoppages. Bella’s elite tapwork would see her fit straight into the ruck role, currently filled by the undersized Sharni Webb and would allow Frederick-Traub to spend more time up forward.

A badly needed midfielder for our list. There was also a FoxFooty article on some other potential Lions' draftees

I don't think Bella is draft eligible this year. Probably looking at Howarth, Clarke, Blair, Collingwood, and Bromage as the leading candidates this year.

Howarth has tended to drift in and out of the games I've watched, and she's very skinny for the higher physicality of the AFLW, but she certainly does have the skills. She led the goalkicking for the QWAFL last year as a 17 year-old (tied with Ransfield).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back