Remove this Banner Ad

JD-Roo

Premiership Player
May 31, 2007
Kilmore-East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi all, pardon the intrusion.

My wife's uncle, Leo Coyne, who was the property steward for the Bears from Day One and right through for the Lions until only a few years ago, passed away today at 84 after a long battle against ill health.

To give you an idea of the esteem he was held in by the players, amongst the many pieces of Brisbane memorabilia he had, one of his proudest was a personally signed, numbered, Brownlow display for Simon Black. Of the twenty frames, Simon's Dad got No.1, Simon kept No.2 and he himself gave Leo No.3.

This bloke loved everything about Brisbane. He was gutted when they merged, feeling that while not on the scale of Fitzroy, Bears people had still lost their club too, but was extremely proud to be part of the club during its most successful era.

Personally he loved the banter between him and myself over the whole North/Gold Coast saga during the turmoil itself and constantly in the years since.

He was a footy fanatic and an absolutey great bloke.

Also, with all the to-ing and fro-ing of phone calls I don't know if this has been passed on to the club yet, so if someone with the contacts could do that it would be of great help.

Kind regards and condolences to all who may have known or met him.
JD-Roo

RIP Leo.

You will be sadly missed.

Leo_2001_Cup.jpg

Last edited:

Pretty sure he was the guy who helped us three seasons ago when my son was mascot at the GABBA. Saw a couple and a kid with no idea what was going on, grabbed us and lead us around the 'downstairs' area.

I remember distinctly he put my 6 yo at ease and calmed him down so that when 'go time' arrived it went off without a hitch. I thanked him for that at the time and am sure it was only one of several such occasions.

Every club needs these types who give so much for so little (public) recognition. I obviously didn't know the guy but I am sure that he deserves more acknowledgement and praise.

RIP

Pretty sure he was the guy who helped us three seasons ago when my son was mascot at the GABBA. Saw a couple and a kid with no idea what was going on, grabbed us and lead us around the 'downstairs' area.

I remember distinctly he put my 6 yo at ease and calmed him down so that when 'go time' arrived it went off without a hitch. I thanked him for that at the time and am sure it was only one of several such occasions.

Every club needs these types who give so much for so little (public) recognition. I obviously didn't know the guy but I am sure that he deserves more acknowledgement and praise.

RIP
That'd be him. He absolutely loved working with the mascots each home game. Then he would guard the gate at the player's race on ground level, standing there the whole game. If it was the North game he'd wait until he was sure he was in camera shot and give me a big wave, knowing I was looking for him in the background. :)

Hi JD-Roo,
This is my first post on bigfooty, I just wanted to say I knew Leo and tell you what a lovely bloke he was. Long story short, my Dad was in a nursing home on the gold coast at the same time as Leos wifes dad. Leo and his wife were there often, and would help mum look after dad (she visited every day).When I would travel up from Melbourne to visit dad, I would often see Leo and have a chat about footy. He would lift the spirits of everyone with his sunny personality and was always ready to help. He even laughed when dad (who had fairly advanced alzheimers) belted him! My sincere condolences to all of your family. RIP Leo, from myself and all my family.

View attachment 232231[/QUOTE]

Hi JD-Roo,
This is my first post on bigfooty, I just wanted to say I knew Leo and tell you what a lovely bloke he was. Long story short, my Dad was in a nursing home on the gold coast at the same time as Leos wifes dad. Leo and his wife were there often, and would help mum look after dad (she visited every day).When I would travel up from Melbourne to visit dad, I would often see Leo and have a chat about footy. He would lift the spirits of everyone with his sunny personality and was always ready to help. He even laughed when dad (who had fairly advanced alzheimers) belted him! My sincere condolences to all of your family. RIP Leo, from myself and all my family.

View attachment 232231
Thanks mate. I have passed that on and it bought a tear to every eye in the room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back