Brisbane Offseason 2013 - Exodus Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
No, I never said board. it was like a sub-committee to fight against the move. He was one of main people involved.

The Fitzroy board of directors were also unanimously against the Brisbane merger, both before and after it actually took place. So I'm not sure what this sub-committee was.

He also didnt have a chose but go to Carlton. They had the number one pick that year.

Murphy had a choice between Brisbane and Carlton. He essentially chose Carlton because it was in Melbourne and he could be closer to family and friends.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marc-murphy-reveals-why-he-chose-carlton-over-brisbane/story-e6frf9jf-1226354244874

and

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Marc%20Murphy

fitzbane Lions

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Fitzroy board of directors were also unanimously against the Brisbane merger, both before and after it actually took place. So I'm not sure what this sub-committee was.

Murphy had a choice between Brisbane and Carlton. He essentially chose Carlton because it was in Melbourne and he could be closer to family and friends.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marc-murphy-reveals-why-he-chose-carlton-over-brisbane/story-e6frf9jf-1226354244874

and

[URL='http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Marc%20Murphy[/quote']http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Marc%20Murphy[/URL]

the article was before he was drafted with the reasons behind him leaving. Not quotes from him. i remembers it vividly the article as i was shattered that he was not going to come up to qld.

fitzbane Lions

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok i have just checked out the latest updated Knightmare's mock draft and he has us down for the below draftees:

#7 Brisbane – Nathan Freeman (VIC – Mid)Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, Style: Luke Shuey
#22 Brisbane (Via GWS and Melbourne) – James Battersby (SA – Mid/Def)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 78kg

#25 Brisbane (Via St Kilda compensation) - Michael Apeness (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 101kg, Style: Jonathan Giles

#28 Brisbane (via West Coast) – Zac Merrett (VIC – Util)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 73kg, Style: Lindsay Gilbee

#33 Brisbane (via Carlton) - Cameron Giles (SA – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 93kg, Style: Scott Thompson (NM)

#34 Brisbane (via Port Adelaide) – George Hewett (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 78kg,

So what are your thoughts? By their playing positions, i think it we would come out alright.
Who would you take instead of these players if you were making the selections?

Matt_BL

All Australian
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need KPD I think. One pick at 33 may not be enough. Also Michael Apeness at 25, probbaly no again we have enough KPF stocks if we take Archie Smith we'll be right for rucks and at alot cheaper pick.

7, 22 and 25 we need to take the best avaliable that isn't a KPF or Ruckman.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brisbane just need to replace what they lost in many ways.

I'd say priority 1 is to make sure you get the midfield depth that Polec and Karnezis would've provided.

Priority 2 would be a skillful half back to replace Yeo or Docherty but I'd only take a player like this if best available, otherwise take a decent skilled midfielder and train them for that role.

Priority 3 would be a key defender to partner Clarke once Merret and Maguire move on.

With West 26, Leuey 25 now is the perfect time to bring an 18 year old ruck in at some point to give 5 years until they are needed. But it can be a rookie or late pick.

Again I'm not convinced by any key forward on Brisbane's list being the post Brown answer. But you tie that in with the need for a key defender and you take an athletic tall who plays forward and turn them in to a defender. A lot of the best defenders were recruited as forwards - Lake, Carlisle, McPharlin, Richards to name a few. If McCarthy, however unlikely slips to 22 I'd take him, start him out as a centre half back prospect and see what comes of him. I'd consider Johnathan Marsh for the same role with one of the picks in the 20's or 30's. Would need heaps of work on skills but his speed and leap would make him a very good defensive proposition.

fitzbane Lions

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need KPD I think. One pick at 33 may not be enough. Also Michael Apeness at 25, probbaly no again we have enough KPF stocks if we take Archie Smith we'll be right for rucks and at alot cheaper pick.

7, 22 and 25 we need to take the best avaliable that isn't a KPF or Ruckman.

I don't think we will have to worry about archie smith, conway & I think the other kid from the academy is tinkler.... they aren't rated by other club and a almost certain to end up on our rookie list

Matt_BL

All Australian
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think we will have to worry about archie smith, conway & I think the other kid from the academy is tinkler.... they aren't rated by other club and a almost certain to end up on our rookie list

I wouldn't be that confident, Collingwood have a history of picking Queenslanders out of nowhere, if they get to the rookie draft fair enough but we already saw with Freeman adelaide placed a bid they're not unknown players, especially in a weak draft they might be a few more speculative picks out there.

fitzbane Lions

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn't be that confident, Collingwood have a history of picking Queenslanders out of nowhere, if they get to the rookie draft fair enough but we already saw with Freeman adelaide placed a bid they're not unknown players, especially in a weak draft they might be a few more speculative picks out there.

From what I have heard and read, the only one that we might lose is archie. Others arent rated

Ok i have just checked out the latest updated Knightmare's mock draft and he has us down for the below draftees:

So what are your thoughts?

I'm not going to challenge KM's suggestions, he's a master at the phantoms.

I do reckon that the Lions should go "best available"

Adding Paine & West goes a long way to cover some obvious needs.

Brisbane's first pick. If they're both still available. Scharenberg or Freeman? I'm kinda leaning towards Freeman.

Just lost Yeo & Docherty (both HBF) and Polec & Karnezis (both HFF). Scharenberg by a mile.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just lost Yeo & Docherty (both HBF) and Polec & Karnezis (both HFF). Scharenberg by a mile.
Think either will be a great addition (and i'm sure we'll keep them), but was thinking that with the improvements Crisp has been showing he'll develop into a great utility that will help minimise the loss of Yeo, & having a midfielder in the dangerfield / martin type mold would be an addition that we've been missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back