Opinion Brisbane Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Olympics are a money drain in general. However if it can inspire the Feds to look north for two minutes and invest in Brisbane that would be good. It would also make the State gov look to reinvest in Brisbane instead of shipping some more dollars up north to polish the Cowboys nobs so that they can retain some marginal seats. Our economy is going to need to focus on tourism in the near future when all our mineral wealth is gone. Something like an Olympics could really help put Brisbane on the map for international visitors.

Olympics are a money drain in general. However if it can inspire the Feds to look north for two minutes and invest in Brisbane that would be good. It would also make the State gov look to reinvest in Brisbane instead of shipping some more dollars up north to polish the Cowboys nobs so that they can retain some marginal seats. Our economy is going to need to focus on tourism in the near future when all our mineral wealth is gone. Something like an Olympics could really help put Brisbane on the map for international visitors.
I sense that people arent into the games... I’m 17 and never got to see Sydney 2000 so a home games is something that I dream of to get all this hype around the country leading into the games. I think it’s one of the best things in the world to bring all the nations together and I am sure that Brisbane will do a remarkable job of it in 2032.

If successful the games will be smack in the middle of the footy season. I would doubt there would be any footy in SEQ during the games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Olympics will encompass the whole of SEQ which would include parts of the GC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but they won’t use Metricon for any of the games. Unless it’s soccer.

The big issue will be transport.

There’s a link to an article on the Suns forum about the government building an 80,000 seat stadium if the bid is successful.

Wonder what new sports we would introduce.

Hey guys so what’s your opinions on the Brissy Olympics bid for 2032 that has been announced?
The Olympics (and society/people) have changed from when I was a kid (80’s).

There’s not the same aura around it any more. And I think that by trying to modernise the games with some of the new sports, is part of the reason why.

When the state government first mentioned interest in the Olympics some time ago lots of site suggestions were put forward.
The Victotia Park Golf Club area was one earmarked for Stadium development.
Brisbane City Council has recently gone down a different path to this suggestion. I wonder if this will change. I think the Council elections are in March so maybe council stick to their "Brisbetter" plan.

The Olympics cost a hell of a lot of money. I notice politicians only talk about the $ benefits to the economy but not so much on the costs/info structure/security.
It may very well be the only way Queensland will get big $ from Canberra to fix up infrastructure in SEQ.

Could the Springfield Reserve be upgraded ??. We could hope the Government throws more money our way before building construction starts. Ha ha.
Spend more money now on the site rather than later. But of course that is not any Government's way. Will have to play AFL somewhere as i can't see the Olympics being held in Summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong no from me. We just don't have the infrastructure here to support the people movements, and my impression of countries that have won the bids recently is that the infrastructure that is built for the event isn't hugely useful for the population after the Olympics move on.

As much as I'd enjoy the benefits of an extra few hundred million being splashed on the gabba and to create / expand seq's sporting infrastructure I'd much rather we lose the bid and the money that could have been spent on it being used to do more to expand the rail network and the scope of the Brisbane metro plans.

To be honest I reckon it's long odds we win anyway. Brisbane isn't the most aesthetic city getting around, and even if the Gold Coast and sunny coast do much of the heavy lifting I just can't see it having the visual appeal as a location the somewhere like Madrid or even Seoul (which is no prize pig itself) would have

Last edited:
Would be Brisbane’s to lose. Jakarta and Mumbai are very weak candidates, and Korea just had an Olympics.

I just can’t believe they’re talking about holding it in July of all months. Surely our biggest selling asset is the weather, the climate and the beaches, and they want to hold it in the one month of the year where it’s too cold and windy to go to the beach. Olympics are usually held in September, and that would be the perfect time of year to have it - sunny, warm, dry and consistent. Even early October just after the footy season. July would be a massive wasted opportunity tourism wise. Imagine coming to Australia for the Olympics from the northern hemisphere, packing your togs and towel, only to find out its colder than where you came from.

I know it’s really lovely in July from 12pm-3pm in the sun, but it’s not beach weather, and it’s quite chilly at all other times.

Would be Brisbane’s to lose. Jakarta and Mumbai are very weak candidates, and Korea just had an Olympics.

I just can’t believe they’re talking about holding it in July of all months. Surely our biggest selling asset is the weather, the climate and the beaches, and they want to hold it in the one month of the year where it’s too cold and windy to go to the beach. Olympics are usually held in September, and that would be the perfect time of year to have it - sunny, warm, dry and consistent. Even early October just after the footy season. July would be a massive wasted opportunity tourism wise. Imagine coming to Australia for the Olympics from the northern hemisphere, packing your togs and towel, only to find out its colder than where you came from.

I know it’s really lovely in July from 12pm-3pm in the sun, but it’s not beach weather, and it’s quite chilly at all other times.
Brisbane weather in July is bloody awesome 😎

Man, how underutilized would a new 80 000 stadium be after the Olympics.

Does remind me of one of my favourite quotes from The Games by John Clarke:

Bryan Dawe: What happened in Melbourne? What legacy did they have?
John Clarke: As a result of the Olympics?
Bryan Dawe: Yes.
John Clarke: Slums, by and large. They built a whole lot of accommodation out at West Heidelberg. It’s still there, I think. You still hear it mentioned from time to time. "Police later found the vehicle abandoned at West Heidelberg." "Police are anxious to speak to the population of West Heidelberg."

I'd hope that it would revitalise SEQ in the way it did Sydney. But I think it was a matter of timing that they just lucked out with a Goldilocks window of the year to host it in a period of pretty solid global stability that it doesn't look like we will be returning to any time soon. I think it's unlikely that lightning will strike twice and I think the sought of nationalistic fervour you have to stir up to make it a success is dangerous in the current headwinds.

A good article today about Queensland Olympic bid.
Just one interesting quote from the article.

Pasquale Sgro, a professor of economics at Deakin University, said that despite public debate often focusing on the financial angle, cost was usually a low priority for bidders.
“These sort of bids are done for lots of reasons such as status and reputation,” Sgro said. “How much money they cost is a long way down the list.
“These sort of large events don’t really make any money. But the public like them apparently. Governments have money to spend so do you spend them on a warship or the Olympics?”

A good article today about Queensland Olympic bid.
Just one interesting quote from the article.

Pasquale Sgro, a professor of economics at Deakin University, said that despite public debate often focusing on the financial angle, cost was usually a low priority for bidders.
“These sort of bids are done for lots of reasons such as status and reputation,” Sgro said. “How much money they cost is a long way down the list.
“These sort of large events don’t really make any money. But the public like them apparently. Governments have money to spend so do you spend them on a warship or the Olympics?”

Damn, so it could end up costing $10 billion? That could be a lot of schools and hospitals instead of the Olympics. Even the official estimate is the same amount as cross river rail and I know which i would prefer.

Based on the article the bid really seems driven by the government's desperation for Brisbane to be 'Australia's new world city'. That would technically make us Australia's third world city, but don't tell them that

Last edited:
Damn, so it could end up costing $10 billion? That could be a lot of schools and hospitals instead of the Olympics. Even the official estimate is the same amount as cross river rail and I know which i would prefer.

Based on the article the bid really seems driven by the government's desperation for Brisbane to be 'Australia's new world city'. That would technically make us Australia's third world city, but don't tell them that
Yes money is always an issue. I was initially against a combined bid by Brisbane/Gold/Sunshine Coast but it may be a good move in the end.

The IOC apparently does not want bidding countries "saddled with debt" any more. Also 80% of venues are in place already. Even if this is the correct %, these venues will have to be properly maintained for the next 12 years which is doable i guess. A small Gabba upgrade is already on the drawing board but much more would be required at this venue.

The SEQ area will require big spending in this time frame for normal infrastructure anyhow.
So with the IOC pledging $2.57 billion in Aus Dollars if we are successful, it may be a good time for a bid.

Airport wise we are in a reasonable position with Brisbane (rank 3rd in Aust), Gold Coast Airport (6th) and Sunshine Coast (15th).
The new extra 2450 meter runway at the Sunshine Coast Airport is due for completion in late 2020, so no bid cost involved for this project.

You would think accommodation wise we should be okay. Private enterprise will do their homework and hopefully get that part settled. I would expect far less visitors to Australia than if the Olympics were held elsewhere. They would have some Sydney visitor figures for a guide.

So we need a new Athletes and Media Village. How many do we build ?? 1,2 or 3.
A new 60,000 seat stadium with huge media & athletes sections.These could be converted later to ??Cricket/AFL Club areas.
A link to Tokyo 60,000 seat stadium for the 2020 Olympics below. So 60,000 is acceptable to the IOC.
Transport upgrades are a big ticket item. Three tiers of Government required which apparently they have agreed in principle.
Security will also be a big cost spread over this large area.
Volunteer numbers are usually high in Australia for this type of big event.
And 1,000 things i have not mentioned.

I have changed my mind about staging the Olympic in SEQ. I hope we are successful.

But is their anyone left in the OEC to bribe.

I hope we don't. I stopped caring for any olympic sports after watching Icarus.

The olympics is BS how little the best athletes in the world get compared to those that work for the olympic organisations.
IIRC IOC members can get paid more for attending the olympics than a lot of athletes will make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back