Opinion Brisbane Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still mad at the proposed dates.

This is typical Brisbane late July/Early August weather. Freezing in the morning, and too windy and feral to warm up outside in the sun. Not to mention no building in SEQ has adequate heating or insulation. In the tourism industry - tourists to tropical climates hate nothing more than cold weather (they even prefer r**n, so long as its warm). Less than 23 degrees is cold for a tourist or backpacker who has spent everything they have to come to the other side of the world looking for sun.

It's probably the worst time of year to show off this region internationally. We'd constantly have to be reminding athletes and other influential visitors to "remember it's winter". If we just held it 4 weeks later the weather is 50 times nicer.

I'm still mad at the proposed dates.

This is typical Brisbane late July/Early August weather. Freezing in the morning, and too windy and feral to warm up outside in the sun. Not to mention no building in SEQ has adequate heating or insulation. In the tourism industry - tourists to tropical climates hate nothing more than cold weather (they even prefer r**n, so long as its warm). Less than 23 degrees is cold for a tourist or backpacker who has spent everything they have to come to the other side of the world looking for sun.

It's probably the worst time of year to show off this region internationally. We'd constantly have to be reminding athletes and other influential visitors to "remember it's winter". If we just held it 4 weeks later the weather is 50 times nicer.
Unfortunately we have no say about the dates.

Phew. I think this will only help Brisbane's bid as other cities might be scared to bid.
View attachment 856697
The regional bid name makes more sense given how we appear to be wanting to spread the locations of events out again (I'm still a bit salty about the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games using our facilities and we get no recognition, but on the other hand we got a pretty sweet velodrome out of it) - however would the rest of the world know what SEQ actually stands for?

The regional bid name makes more sense given how we appear to be wanting to spread the locations of events out again (I'm still a bit salty about the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games using our facilities and we get no recognition, but on the other hand we got a pretty sweet velodrome out of it) - however would the rest of the world know what SEQ actually stands for?
Rest of the world! Would the rest of Australia know what SEQ stands for?

Still a long way from it (11 years to be exact) and it's also not confirmed by any means, but looks like Brisbane/SEQ is going to host the 2032 Olympics meaning us and the Suns might be playing a couple of away matches in a row during that period of the Olympics similar to what the Suns had to endure during the 2018 commonwealth games.

I really hope it doesn't affect our premiership chances during the season by the way ;)

Might also mean now as a result of this, we could be getting either an upgrade of the GABBA for more spectators or an entire new stadium in general being built in the Brisbane CBD which hopefully will be beneficial for the AFL in QLD and not just another rugby league stadium for the Broncos & the rest of the crew over there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'm the only person who still gets mondo excited about the Olympics. I think it's because the 2000 Olympics had such an impact on me (planting trees around the Regatta Centre in year 2 when I went to Regentville Primary, watching the Torch be run up the centre of Oakey by one of my good friends brother...). I would die of excitement if the Olympics came to Brisbane, but I'm also aware of its dwindling popularity and the financial toll it can take on host cities. Hopefully we can plan it a bit better to get the most out of it, and maybe even leverage our more rural areas to get them some spotlight. Shame they couldn't move it to September to have the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers around to get even more tourist $$$ out of people.

Still a long way from it (11 years to be exact) and it's also not confirmed by any means, but looks like Brisbane/SEQ is going to host the 2032 Olympics meaning us and the Suns might be playing a couple of away matches in a row during that period of the Olympics similar to what the Suns had to endure during the 2018 commonwealth games.

I really hope it doesn't affect our premiership chances during the season by the way ;)

Might also mean now as a result of this, we could be getting either an upgrade of the GABBA for more spectators or an entire new stadium in general being built in the Brisbane CBD which hopefully will be beneficial for the AFL in QLD and not just another rugby league stadium for the Broncos & the rest of the crew over there.

Of the three Stadium sites mentioned the Mayne Road (Bowen Hills) Rail Yards would be a good location for the stadium as ideally you need a rail connection
Has been talks for years about relocating these rail yards
Other locations mentioned:
RNA Showgrounds - Will be also a new Cross River Rail station but the building site looks on the small size. Slightly closer to CBD than Bowen Hills
QE 2 Nathan: Not near rail line & a fair distance from the CBD. By far the worst location for future usage of an 80k stadium in my opinion
Albion Park Paceway: Just a little further out from the CBD than Bowen Hills but not near a rail line.

For the Rail Yard you probably need to relocate Bowen Hills Station to where Cross River Rail comes out north of the present location (see map below)

Below is a Cross River Rail Map at the Bowen Hills Station Section
For those not in Brisbane the Rail Yards are the multiple lines that go nowhere & also the yellow/gold section marked "construction site"
Bowen Hills is 2 stops from CBD
In total it is a large area of land

1614142366143.png

Please not Albion Park Raceway, I live down the road and traffic is already bad enough on KSD (even AFTER the upgrade).
I agree but when they put in the bid which was some time ago multiple sights would have been put forward
I remember the Victoria Park Golf links was also put up as a possible site early in the process. But the BCC got in first with their redevelopment plans
Looks like we will find out soon or around July this year

The only events that I have interest in at an Olympic level are track events particularly the mid distance, If I still exist in 2032 I'd attempt to get tickets to them.... I think I'll have to start saving the dollars for that now or maybe I could cash in my funeral fund early.

The only events that I have interest in at an Olympic level are track events particularly the mid distance, If I still exist in 2032 I'd attempt to get tickets to them.... I think I'll have to start saving the dollars for that now or maybe I could cash in my funeral fund early.
I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned if the Olympics was put in a bin for all eternity.

I mean if we are being honest, pretty much most events if they were being conducted by themselves and outside of the Olympics / Commonwealth Games would attract less people than an u/12's games of footy at a local suburban park.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned if the Olympics was put in a bin for all eternity.

I mean if we are being honest, pretty much most events if they were being conducted by themselves and outside of the Olympics / Commonwealth Games would attract less people than an u/12's games of footy at a local suburban park.

Which is really quite unfortunate (I says from my couch only having attended footy and cricket in the past 12 months). We pride ourselves as a "sporting nation" but it seems it's only really football (of any code) and cricket that we seem to indulge in. Some of these sports can be really exciting too, we just don't invest enough time into them.

Yer I sort of agree, for a sport to be in the Olympics I think it needs to be the absolute pinnacle of that sports achievement, things like tennis, golf, soccer shouldn't be in it. I just had a look at a current list of summer Olympic sports and most of them do not appeal to me in any way, there is one in there called Breaking which is a street dance style... really Olympic sport:think::rolleyes:, next thing they'll have tug o war, tiddlywinks or Uno.

I just had a look at a current list of summer Olympic sports and most of them do not appeal to me in any way, there is one in there called Breaking which is a street dance style... really Olympic sport:think::rolleyes:
And yet, they removed Synchronised Swimming?
What is this World coming to?

I disagree somewhat.

I can think of quite a few sports that would sell out, if the world championships were held here.

Athletics
Swimming
Cycling
Tennis
Judo & Tae Kwon Do
Gymnastics

Just because one person doesn’t find a particular sport or sports interesting, that goes for everyone.

Pretty sure the rock climbing, canoeing and rowing would sell out as well.

Yer I sort of agree, for a sport to be in the Olympics I think it needs to be the absolute pinnacle of that sports achievement, things like tennis, golf, soccer shouldn't be in it. I just had a look at a current list of summer Olympic sports and most of them do not appeal to me in any way, there is one in there called Breaking which is a street dance style... really Olympic sport:think::rolleyes:, next thing they'll have tug o war, tiddlywinks or Uno.
On top of that, you have legitimate athletes playing squash (not a sport I play or watch that has huge participation and interest) and even CrossFit and Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) that attract huge crowds and feature, IMO, the very best athletes in the world (although I dare say neither sports would even want to be in the Olympics / Commonwealth Games), MMA (again, the UFC, Belator probably wouldn't even want to be a part of it either), yet karate, taekwondo and boxing are.

I don't know, but there are a lot of variations of sports in the Olympics that are in i.e. rugby 7's, yet other forms of rugby aren't, basketball, but netball isn't and then popular sports such as CrossFit and OCR are massive upgrades on existing sports i.e. decathlon which have huge followings. Then you have old events such as fencing and modern pentathlon still going which appeals to who exactly?

It is really hard taking the Olympic Games seriously anymore and why I think they are becoming more and more irrelevant.

And don't get me started on the fake hype that TV networks and the media continually spout about swimming. :rolleyes:

On top of that, you have legitimate athletes playing squash (not a sport I play or watch that has huge participation and interest) and even CrossFit and Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) that attract huge crowds and feature, IMO, the very best athletes in the world (although I dare say neither sports would even want to be in the Olympics / Commonwealth Games), MMA (again, the UFC, Belator probably wouldn't even want to be a part of it either), yet karate, taekwondo and boxing are.

I don't know, but there are a lot of variations of sports in the Olympics that are in i.e. rugby 7's, yet other forms of rugby aren't, basketball, but netball isn't and then popular sports such as CrossFit and OCR are massive upgrades on existing sports i.e. decathlon which have huge followings. Then you have old events such as fencing and modern pentathlon still going which appeals to who exactly?

It is really hard taking the Olympic Games seriously anymore and why I think they are becoming more and more irrelevant.

And don't get me started on the fake hype that TV networks and the media continually spout about swimming. :rolleyes:
I played competitive squash in my youth and absolutely loved it, still along with Futsal my all time favourite sports to play. Both would be fantastic Olympic events, if you've ever watched high level Futsal the skills are amazing.

I'm with you on the swimming as well, I can appreciate the skill and dedication required to be elite at it(or any endeavour) but one of if not the most boring spectator sports of all time IMO, right up there with paint drying and grass growing... each to their own though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back