Discussion Brisbane/SE Queensland 2032 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
South East Queensland has gained the status of Preferred Candidate City for the hosting rights of the 2032 Summer Olympics, to be held in Australian winter.
It is likely to be announced as host city, possibly running unopposed, in July of this year. Like the LA28 games, which gained its host status in 2017, it means there will be 11 years between being announced as host and hosting the games. Quite the buffer.

Since being host city alone is considered to be a boost to Queensland's international marketing and is expected to increase tourism over the next decade - it is likely that the branding for Queensland 2032 will serve not just for the Games, but for the state itself. And if we are again following LA28's precedent we will probably see the logo(s) within the next few years. London 2012 and Rio 2016's logos were both unveiled 6 years prior to the games, whereas Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024 were 5 years prior, the former being scrapped after it was found its designer had plagiarised his design and put to a national contest, with the winner revealed in 2016, 4 years prior to the games (about that...).

2032 already feels a bit different than its modern predecessors though, it is the first Olympics to be awarded after overhauls to the bidding process, implemented in response to many bids pulling out of the 2028 bid and Los Angeles running unopposed. In result of these changes - Brisbane/SE Queensland 2032's bid does not yet have an identity. Usually during the bidding process cities form a bidding committee and we get some logos, which while they are much more corporate than what we end up with, it gives us an idea of the bid's identity. We don't yet have that with Queensland 2032, we don't even know its name - is it SE Queensland 32, Brisbane 32, Queensland 32? According to Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk this is being discussed right now.

So what do we all expect Queensland 2032's identity to be like? Modern Olympics logos have either been experimental like LA28 and London 2012, or more corporate like Rio 2016 and Paris 2024, without much in-between. It needs to represent the city for a decade and not feel outdated when the games come around. What about the colours? It is becoming less and less common for Olympic cities to use national colours in their branding. We surely won't be caught dead with anything resembling the colours of the Union Jack. What about green and gold? Is it too simple?

Personally I expect the 2032 logo to feature a coastline and Indigenous iconography. While Sydney 2000's bid logo was a dot art rendition of the Opera House and the logo proper was made up of boomerangs - these were both designed by a white guy and a design firm respectively. I expect 2032 to enlist the work of Indigenous artists much like the Sir Douglas Nichols round.

What are your thoughts/hopes?

I suspect, before 2032 rolls around, Indigenous artwork being used by the white man to sell fizzy drink and electrical appliances will be untenable. But there's no way a logo of this significance won't acknowledge First Nations people, so it'll just be a matter of taste and subtlety.

Something like Eucalyptus trees--familiar in everyday Australian life to the point of indivisibility but also an allusion to its prominence in Welcome to Country ceremonies--could be a good motif.

So I've quickly put together an example of that. Perhaps a bit too similar to the Paris 2024 logo, so much so that I might not have bothered to post it if not for the cork hat idea I also had. Nevertheless, with a lot of work put into ironing out the creases, it'd hold up.

Brisbane2032a.PNG

I suspect, before 2032 rolls around, Indigenous artwork being used by the white man to sell fizzy drink and electrical appliances will be untenable. But there's no way a logo of this significance won't acknowledge First Nations people, so it'll just be a matter of taste and subtlety.

Something like Eucalyptus trees--familiar in everyday Australian life to the point of indivisibility but also an allusion to its prominence in Welcome to Country ceremonies--could be a good motif.

So I've quickly put together an example of that. Perhaps a bit too similar to the Paris 2024 logo, so much so that I might not have bothered to post it if not for the cork hat idea I also had. Nevertheless, with a lot of work put into ironing out the creases, it'd hold up.

View attachment 1090925
That looks awesome- eucalyptus, Olympic flame, Queensland state border shape, and a simplified koala drop bear all in one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back