Brisbane - Swans Post-mortem

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans Upstart

Senior List
Aug 4, 2003
Melbourne
Other Teams
Swannies
Disappointing result, because I thought pre-game luck was smiling on us to catch Brisbane without Brown and Lynch and with Voss and Leppitsch underdone. And disappointing to lose with a missed kick in the dying minutes - I hope it's not going to be a repeat of season 2002.

I can see why Roos went for the short chipping possession game - because whenever the Lions did eventually get the ball they seemed to run riot and punish us. However whenever the Swans started playing the familiar quick hand-passing game from our half of the field they looked exciting.

I thought our three best were:
1. Williams - good to see he's still doing what he does best, clocking up the possessions, driving us into attack and kicking the occasional goal from 50 metres out!
2. Goodes - played well in the ruck and upfield though without really dominating.
3. Nick Davis - if he hadn't got injured I think we would have won.

Honourable mentions to Leo Barry, Jude Bolton, LRT, Kirk, and Jarrad McVeigh made a pretty good debut.
O'Loughline and Saddington were the big disappointments IMO.

(I used to really like Pikey, but now he's starting to annoy me!)

Great effort by your blokes, and I'm not being patronising. Quite an undistinguished performance by us, brought about by your coach's well-thought tactics. If your team has the footy more than 50% of the time, as you did in the first half, it limits our scoring opportunities.

Should hardly be surprised that you played as well as you did, especially after last season's heroics. You guys must be pleased that the season's first game would indicate last season wasn't a flash-in-the-pan. Absolutely convinced we'll play each other again in September, probably in the big one, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I certainly think you would have given a better account of yourselves than our ultimate opposition last season.

Let's not forget the return engagement in Sydney either. We could be building a 'rivalry' here, especially after you beat us twice last season. Seems natural for Sydney and Brisbane to have this. Seems quite a few of your supporters made the trip north last night too.

As I wrote on the Brisbane Board, I reckon Goodes will win 3 Brownlows, given a good run with injury. That is, of course, unless he starts to wear black boots. Only jarkin'. If you blokes dislike Pikey, how do you think I feel when that little bastard Williams keeps getting the ball 30 times a game. Doesn't waste it very often either.

Originally posted by campbell
Is that because Pikey is so damn good, he gets under the radar.Nice bloke though.
Pikey's a legend, especially when he swears on national TV! Seriously under-rated - I remember even back when he was playing for Fitzroy, in that disastrous final year when they hardly won a game, he seemed the only one that was trying a lot of the time.
I just wish he wouldn't keep turning on match-winning performances against us.

Originally posted by Swans Upstart
However whenever the Swans started playing the familiar quick hand-passing game from our half of the field they looked exciting.

I think we missed the running power of Schneider and Kennely, as well as the level-headed Schauble.

However, I think that it may just shut up some of the critics (AGAIN). Would have been brilliant to win though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back