Prediction Brisbane....they are a genuine chance of winning the flag

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They have no chance whatsoever of winning the flag but they may just pinch a final.
Their key forwards are too inconsistent and you simply can't win finals with small zippy forwards.
Game will slow right down and that's when you need the big boys to pluck crucial marks.

Next year, the likes of Hipwood and McStay should be ready to take the next step and help them secure a home final.
You should consider going into comedy. You're very good at it

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry mate but Richmond's defense was actually the key to their success and Brisbane just don't have the likes of Rance or Grimes to fall back on when it's close.

I also don't see a Jack Riewoldt in the key post position. I see Hipwood showing immense talent but Jack was a proven champion heading into the 2017 grand final.

No need to get personal about it, it's just an opinion and I see Brisbane struggling to even win a final as it stands right now.
I like Cameron, McCarthy and your other smalls though. Not a fan Of Martin. Brisbane would want to hope they meet Geelong or Richmond in a final where Stanley and Nankervis are mores suited to his style of game.
Maybe watch at least one of our games before posting

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This isn't to say that we will win it. But do people genuinely think the 'finals experience' thing matters?

8/10 times the best team will win. Experience doesn't matter. We've seen this time and time and time again over history but people continuously bring it up.

What is more likely is that Brisbane is not quite as good as the top 4 sides (Cats, Pies, Eagles, Tiges) (who coincidentally have more finals experience than them) and will be playing away from home against them, and as a result will more than likely lose.

But don't bring up that experience crap. You can name numerous examples in history, from numerous sports, where the lesser experienced or more experienced team won, there is no correlation there.

Yeah idk how big a factor lack of finals experience is. I think it'll factor, but we haven't seen the Lions play in too many close high stakes games.

Not our fault we keep winning by good margins ;)

Seriously though, I get your point.

What has been impressive about our last few weeks is we've taken a lead and held onto it. When we've been tested (Melbourne, GWS) we've stemmed the flow and got a few back. It's very mature football.

We showed earlier in the season that we have the scoring ability to chase deficits (North, Port, Eagles, Hawks) and run away in a very short amount of time.

Can we win it? Sure.

Is it likely? Too early to tell.

Nimble Numbat

Rookie
Jun 2, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
  • brisbane won't beat the reigning premiers
  • brisbane won't make it out of the bottom four
  • brisbane won't make it into the eight
  • brisbane won't make it into the top four
  • [you are now here]
  • brisbane won't beat Richmond at the MCG
  • brisbane won't win a final
  • brisbane won't win two finals
  • brisbane won't win the flag
  • hodge won't win another norm smith

Paganism mark II

Etihad Stadium, Locker room end
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
  • [you are now here]
I can categorically state Hodge won’t win a Norm Smith medal.
In terms of leadership he’s vital, but I worry about him getting exposed a bit on the big MCG now he’s getting older.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
  • [you are now here]
- Brisbane won't go back-to-back
- Brisbane won't do another 3-peat
- Brisbane won't equal Collingwood's 4 in a row
- Brisbane won't be the first team to ever win 5 consecutive premierships

• [you are now here]
It's funny you write something like this because the exact same thing was written about the Bucks in the NBA this season, basically we were written off all year that we had no playoff experience yada yada and would lose in the 2nd round. Made it to the ECF (Prelim) but lost to the eventual champions.

Personally I do not think for even a second we'll even make the grand final, I'm just hoping we win a final this year to cap off the best Lions season in 15 years. 2020 onwards was always the goal in the clubs mind, peaking a year early actually means we'll have a harder draw next year but also our young stars get closer to their prime. Will be very interesting to see what happens after this season.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
This isn't to say that we will win it. But do people genuinely think the 'finals experience' thing matters?

8/10 times the best team will win. Experience doesn't matter. We've seen this time and time and time again over history but people continuously bring it up.

What is more likely is that Brisbane is not quite as good as the top 4 sides (Cats, Pies, Eagles, Tiges) (who coincidentally have more finals experience than them) and will be playing away from home against them, and as a result will more than likely lose.

But don't bring up that experience crap. You can name numerous examples in history, from numerous sports, where the lesser experienced or more experienced team won, there is no correlation there.
Case in point: the 2016 grand final. Sydney's lineup was full of 2014 grand finalists and 2012 premiership players, whilst not one Bulldog had played in a grand final. The Bulldogs won because they played better on the day.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
They have a very strong chance of finishing top 4, should they end up hosting a final at the Gabba they are as good as any to be pushing for a Prelim final berth
As we all know, winning a qualifying final is your first foot in the door of a grand final. No one will want to play them at the Gabba in September.

The Lions have a bit of a 2016 Bulldogs or 2017 Richmond feel about them, and personally I wish them all the best. Their supporters have been through enough, and it's time for someone other than the usual contender suspects.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Case in point: the 2016 grand final. Sydney's lineup was full of 2014 grand finalists and 2012 premiership players, whilst not one Bulldog had played in a grand final. The Bulldogs won because they played better on the day.
2001 Grand Final
2004 Grand Final
2008 Grand Final
2016 Grand Final

And that's not to mention the countless finals that have been won by the lesser experienced team on the day

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
You don’t need experience, you need a top 4 finish and a healthy, confident list.
Whoever does this at Round 22 has an absolute shot at the Premiership.
And yes, this could very well be Brisbane.

I'd rather play someone else and g
As long as it’s 2005-06 repeating I’m happy.

2002-03 and I think I’d sink into a depression.
I'd rather get another scalp personally. We've played 4 teams in 7 GFs. Richmond would be nice.

Back