Summer Brisbane to Bid for 2028 - maybe 2032?

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we had the Olympics in Melbourne the venues would be
MCG main stadium, Rod Laver Pool, Hisense Velodrom, Margaret Court, MSAC Sate Netball and Hokey centre for the Court sports and Gymnastics, Golf at Royal Melbourne, Rugby and Soccer at Etihad, AMMI Park, Simonds Stadium (maybe also some group games in Ballarat) We need a rowing basin but that is it. I get that money will need to be spent on the Village and refurbishing some of these venues to bring them up to the standard required. I also acknowledge that transport links will have to improve but seeings that we are the most livable city in the world they must not need as much work as others.
Also the Tennis could be at Kooyong.

BobbyMorri

Community Leader
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Scunny, Furth
going by memory, weather is 1/3 of 1/5 of the ratings points in the reports, and Melbourne was too cold and wet, while Sydney would be too wet. i never checked Brisbane.

Im against the whole "its Brisbane turn" which Coates is going on about. it should be whoever gets the governments supports turn and has the best bid, outside direct AOC interference.

In saying that, if Brisbane can rally all of SE Queensland for the bid, build on the 2018 Gold Coast games as a dress rehearsal, their is a strong chance that by 2030's they will have the strongest bid. the region has 3 mil people now, but u think it will slowly close the gap to Melbourne's 4.4 mil, just like Queensland is likely to do to Victoria.

The IOC are trying to decentralize the games a little, to lower costs. a SE Queensland bid, with Brisbane at its heart could easily work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slax

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
If we had the Olympics in Melbourne the venues would be
MCG main stadium, Rod Laver Pool, Hisense Velodrom, Margaret Court, MSAC Sate Netball and Hokey centre for the Court sports and Gymnastics, Golf at Royal Melbourne, Rugby and Soccer at Etihad, AMMI Park, Simonds Stadium (maybe also some group games in Ballarat) We need a rowing basin but that is it. I get that money will need to be spent on the Village and refurbishing some of these venues to bring them up to the standard required. I also acknowledge that transport links will have to improve but seeings that we are the most livable city in the world they must not need as much work as others.
Nagambie has a very good rowing course, so too does Ballarat on Lake Wendouree (hosted 1956 rowing) so one of these would be used. Royal Melbourne for golf also.

Soccer would need to be spread out throughout the country due to the number of games. Rugby could be played at AAMI Park.

Biggest thing holding back a Brisbane/SE Queensland bid is a main stadium, you need a 65,000 seat stadium as a minimum. Gabba can't be expanded to that number physically due to constraints on space. Suncorp doesn't have a big enough playing surface to allow for the athletics track to be built and also can't be expanded.

Carrara would need to be completely reconfigured to get to that size as you can't do anything at the northern end of the ground or you end up underwater, so the stadium needs to either rotate to run parallel to the main round or move it back towards the main road. Carrara also has another problem, foundations, it is built on old swamp/floodplain right next to the river, to build a 70,000+ stadium there is going to cost an absolute truckload of money, would be cheaper to build a brand new 70,000 seat stadium in Brisbane, but then who is going to use it afterwards?

Perth will hold the Olympics before Brisbane.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
How does not having a main stadium not built before the final vote to choose a host city hold you back?? Sydney, Beijing and London did not have a main stadium when they won the bid for their games. You have 7 years - ok 6 years and 10 months to build and complete it. Rio has the Maracana which was going thru a massive refurbishment for the world cup so that looked good for a bid from a poor country (GDP/head poor) that they had one. Tokyo is smashing down their existing national Olympic stadium in 2015 and spending around $1bil USD on a complete rebuild and using it for 2019 rugby world cup and then the following year for the Olympics.

Building a new stadium in New York or Chicago or Boston isnt going to be a factor counting against the yanks getting the games.

Allezjuel

Senior List
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I honestly think Brisbane is too small to host the Olympics, at under 2 million I would say it would have to be the smallest city to ever host the olympics. Being a sydneysider myself I would love to see it here again in my lifetime (was too young to properly appreciate it in 2000) but it seems incredibly unlikely. So I think you have to go with Melbourne, which has pretty much all of the sporting infrastructure in place and would have a huge profit margins because of this.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Ever? Melbourne was only 1.5mil in 1956. What do you reckon the population of ST Lious was in 1904, Stockholm in 1912, Antwerp in 1920, Amsterdam in 1928 and Montreal in 1976 was?

I think you need to visit the ABS site and their population section. Greater Brisbane is 2.2 mil - the Gold Coast will host events and provide accommodation for visitors is 600k and the Sunshine Coast once again will host events and has accommodation is 300k. When the vote is taken in 2021 there will be another 200k living in SE Qld and 400k in 2028.

Id love Sydney to host it again in 2028 /32 but John Coates knows the IOC will not vote to return to Sydney or Melbourne. They aren't that good to get 2 Olympics.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ever? Melbourne was only 1.5mil in 1956. What do you reckon the population of ST Lious was in 1904, Stockholm in 1912, Antwerp in 1920, Amsterdam in 1928 and Montreal in 1976 was?

I think you need to visit the ABS site and their population section. Greater Brisbane is 2.2 mil - the Gold Coast will host events and provide accommodation for visitors is 600k and the Sunshine Coast once again will host events and has accommodation is 300k. When the vote is taken in 2021 there will be another 200k living in SE Qld and 400k in 2028.

Id love Sydney to host it again in 2028 /32 but John Coates knows the IOC will not vote to return to Sydney or Melbourne. They aren't that good to get 2 Olympics.
But all cities were a lot smaller then

damochandler

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
they look at how modern the bid is. paris didn't get the olympics partly because they were going to use old run down stadiums with a bit of refurbishment. brisbane needs a new stadium, a new aquatics center,

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
they look at how modern the bid is. paris didn't get the olympics partly because they were going to use old run down stadiums with a bit of refurbishment. brisbane needs a new stadium, a new aquatics center,
No they need a new ground because they don't have a ground big enough. The IOC is trying to make the Olympics more affordable for the host city. For example if it was to come to Melbourne the would be happy to use a refurbished G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom