Traded Brisbane trade #18, #19 and 2021 R2 to Melbourne for #25, #68, #69 and 2021 R1

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
That’s a good trade for both sides.

Can see this going 1 of 3 ways depending on Melbourne’s finishing position in 2021:

15-18th - Win for Brisbane
11-14th - About Fair
1-10th - Win for Melbourne

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Am I missing something here with academy picks or something?

Brisbane are trading two first rounders and a future second rounder for a future first rounder and current second and some token late picks?

It seems like unless Melbourne bomb and finish really quite low, they are the winners here? Is that what the Lions are banking on?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Brisbane are trading two first rounders and a future second rounder for a future first rounder and current second and some token late picks?

It seems like unless Melbourne bomb and finish really quite low, they are the winners here? Is that what the Lions are banking on?

Brisbane are banking on two things.

1. The 2021 draft is supposed to be very strong
2. Melbourne will be shite next year

If both come to pass this trade will be a massive win for Brisbane.

2. Melbourne will be sh*te next year

The picks they traded to Melbourne are at best going to be picks in the early twenties.
Melbourne might have given them a pick in the top ten.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The 2 x 1st will be 24 and 25 when the dust settles. And next year they could well get pick 8 in an uncompromised draft.

Seems fair to me.

Hmm, it's an interesting one. I expect Brisbane to drop ever so slightly to bottom half of top 8 next year but they could arguably go one better.

We've backed ourselves again but using 9th as a guide it's pick 10 before any movement down. F10, 25 and fluff for 18, 19 and F30ish?

dee64

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

2. Melbourne will be sh*te next year

Unless you are a psychic, nobody will know who the winner is for 4-5 years. Pick no.s in essence mean nothing. Josh Mahoney said on Trade Radio that he believes that players they rate as top 10 will fall through to later picks.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
So if Melbourne finish 9th/10th again and Brisbane finish 4th-5th...

Brisbane give 18, 19, F35
Melbourne give F10, 25, 68, 69

Brisbane's points value is slightly more but can really go either way at this stage.

The vibe seems to be 2021 draft is stronger than 2020, so using points as the indicator Brisbane “wins” as 2021 would be more valuable than 2020 points.

Mahoney always tries to be clever with picks so there’s something more he is trying to engineer. Sometime a bit too clever at times it seems.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the contrary - reckon it looks good for them.
Yes like I said, it does "look" good for them. But Brisbane are not idiots, they clearly do this because they share the same belief that there will be a drastic difference in quality between 2020 and 2021 drafts.

On the other hand, Melbourne can still savage this, Essendon could still need a late 1st for Caldwell, maybe Melbourne can ontrade these picks for Essendon's pick 8.

Pick up a slider at 8, then that could be a win for melbourne.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I'm not sure why people go on about where the team finishers will decide who wins the trade. At the end of the day it comes down who you select and if you nail the pick.

But that's about winning the draft and they are two different events. Winning the trade with future picks is linked to where teams finish and the trade will either give you an advantage or disadvantage come draft night.

Whether you nail or **** up draft night is a different skill.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

This. Don't get it.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember when the Dees did a pick swap with Gold Coast to get pick 3. People criticized them at the time but it helped them get Oliver (in what was said to be a weak draft at the time). Good players are in all drafts. It’s just a matter of finding them. I suspect the Dees think they have found something in this upcoming one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SackLunch

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
From a Melbourne perspective I think it’s a good move. Gives us an opportunity to cash in on last minute panic trading for clubs wanting players or can still be traded for picks up until and including draft day.

Back