Traded Brisbane trade future 1st round pick to Gold Coast for #19, future 2nd and future 3rd (Haw)

Remove this Banner Ad

All I'm getting from this is that Gold Coast's list management is going to be bombarded with phone calls during the trade period to see if they're willing to swap future picks again. Could make it a hattrick

So not only did they lose massively this trade with Brisbane, but back in 2017, they swapped:

Pick 21 (Oscar Allen), Pick 26 (Liam Ryan), Pick 37 (Jack Petrucelle) and 2018 Pick 20 (on-traded)
<--->
Pick 50 (Brayden Crossley) and 2018 Pick 18 (Jez McLennan)

Or in other words, they swapped 3,002 points (Pick 1) in return for 1,258 points (Pick 12), or lost the equivalent of Pick 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I'm getting from this is that Gold Coast's list management is going to be bombarded with phone calls during the trade period to see if they're willing to swap future picks again. Could make it a hattrick

So not only did they lose massively this trade with Brisbane, but back in 2017, they swapped:

Pick 21 (Oscar Allen), Pick 26 (Liam Ryan), Pick 37 (Jack Petrucelle) and 2018 Pick 20 (on-traded)
<--->

Or in other words, they swapped 3,002 points (Pick 1) in return for 1,258 points (Pick 12), or lost the equivalent of Pick 6
It was a car crash and one of many from Scott Clayton. The hard part is we didn’t learn our lessen and have followed it up again this year.

At one time Freo owned the worst trades of all time but I reckon Suns have surpassed them now. Their 2017 trade period was bizarre, started with an exceptionally strong set of picks and traded them away for scraps and for no purpose anyone could see. 2018 was bad as well.

They are in big trouble as a club, a lot of it is their own doing but the AFL should have stopped some of these trades as unbalanced, AFL asleep at the wheel and now need to do something to make GC relevant.

At one time Freo owned the worst trades of all time but I reckon Suns have surpassed them now. Their 2017 trade period was bizarre, started with an exceptionally strong set of picks and traded them away for scraps and for no purpose anyone could see. 2018 was bad as well.

They are in big trouble as a club, a lot of it is their own doing but the AFL should have stopped some of these trades as unbalanced, AFL asleep at the wheel and now need to do something to make GC relevant.
Scott Clayton was the Gold Coast Suns recruiting manager during that trade period. Traded a bucket load of picks to West Coast for a future 2018 first round pick.

Finished the year at Gold Coast, then moved to West Coast.

Can you say conflict of interest?

I always don't get the Scott Clayton deal, if Fremantle insist on pick 2 why waste time dealing with West Coast? Did he actually go and ask Fremantle is Eagles first round future pick is ok or try to be cute. Could easily rebuild with Weller, Powell, worpel, constable and Ballard /Sam Taylor.

Last edited:

<--->

You mean Scott Clayton swapped those picks.. and then moved straight to West Coast himself.

2018 was bad as well.
Was it? Selling high on May and Kolodjashnij and turning them into pick 6 was a great decision. Yeah Scrimshaw went for unders but he'd proved nothing and didn't want to be there, such an attitude is poisonous. The only trade that was bad is the pick swap that this thread is about, and even then it only looks bad in hindsight, looking at page 1 most people expected Brisbane to get a top 6 pick.

Last edited:
Incredible what a difference a year makes.
This is how that pick swap now looks from the Suns' perspective:

It is also worth remembering that Gold Coast handed Brisbane pick 19 in last year’s draft, as well as picks 19 and 42 this year, in exchange for the Lions’ 2019 first round pick, which will end up at roughly pick 17. That’s 19, 19 and 42 for 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back