Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
1624779989079.png

When Neville Cardus, the greatest cricket writer of all time, was a small boy he would kneel down to say his evening prayers and he would pray for England to win the Test starting the next day but Victor Trumper to make a century. Most Lions’ supporters wouldn’t begrudge Ben Keays a BOG and three Brownlow votes, but we want to win, and none of us would think we need divine help for this one.

1624779958552.png

Neville Cardus

1624780109279.png

Victor Trumper

But I am still scarred from a certain game in Adelaide where we were crucified late in the game. It was termed the ‘Daylight robbery at night’ game.

So, I don’t like the Adelaide Football club. However, I am a member of the SACCA and never miss the Adelaide Test and I can’t wait for the end of all these Covid related lockdowns as the footy matches at the ground, especially at night, look glamorous events. The Test matches certainly are worth attending.

1624780148376.png

At this stage who knows where the game will be held.

Looking at the season stats of Adelaide it shows what you would expect from a bottom side. Adelaide’s only stand out is Walker. who is playing so well in a bottom team. They don’t win if he is kept quiet. Keays, Laird and Seedsman are their first choice on ballers and they don’t fill me with fear but when they knocked off Melbourne all these players got thirty plus disposals and young Ben kicked two goals. Walker, of course, kicked the winning goal.

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
Team Statistics Comparison
Adelaide Crows
Average Per Game
Brisbane Lions
202.4​
Kicks​
230.5​
145.8​
Handballs​
119.9​
348.2​
Disposals​
350.4​
75.7​
Marks​
97.5​
11.5​
Goals​
13.4​
11.0​
Behinds​
11.8​
22.5​
Scoring Shots​
25.2​
56.8​
Tackles​
56.9​
33.0​
Hitouts​
29.9​
21.9​
Frees For​
20.6​
20.4​
Frees Against​
21.5​
7.8​
Goal Assists​
9.0​
52.7​
Inside 50s​
56.4​
141.0​
Contested Possessions​
143.9​
199.4​
Uncontested Possessions​
199.7​
251.5​
Effective Disposals​
246.6​
72.2%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
70.4%​
57.5​
Clangers​
58.8​
12.5​
Contested Marks​
12.6​
10.0​
Marks Inside 50​
12.4​
34.6​
Clearances​
37.6​
12.6​
Centre Clearances​
12.8​
22.0​
Stoppage Clearances​
24.9​
40.0​
Rebound 50s​
39.3​
46.2​
One Percenters​
47.8​
3.1​
Bounces​
1.9​
1.39​
Kick to Handball Ratio​
1.92​
51.1%​
Conversion​
53.2%​
30.28​
Disposals Per Goal​
26.15​
15.48​
Disposals Per Scoring Shot​
13.90​
5903.2​
Metres Gained​
5882.1​
72.6​
Turnovers​
71.1​
71.2​
Intercepts​
74.1​
8.8​
Tackles Inside 50​
9.5​

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
Interestingly, while Adelaide is at the bottom of most stats to advantage, the differences between the two clubs are very small except for two: we get more kicks than Adelaide, and remember Rich kicks it a long way, and they get more handballs. So how do you explain that Adelaide has more metres gained? The Gabba is three metres longer than the Adelaide Cricket ground so that can’t be the answer.

Brisbane is humming along, having only two bad quarters in the last few months. Paine was a welcome addition last week, adding height and pace to the backline. Birchall, Lester and Gardiner will all be back before the finals. The only worry I have is the forward line. There is no one playing forward in the Two’s that looks anything like a competent forward let alone a goal kicker. Coleman and McStay are at best bit players at this stage, being very quiet recently, but until one of the reserves starts to put together several good games they are as safe as houses. What will Brisbane do if Hipwood or Daniher go down?

With the second youngest side and the least experienced side on average this year (look through Jivlain’s ‘Inexperience Watch’ thread to see how we used to suffer when we had a young inexperienced team) it is a rebuilding year for Adelaide and it is hard to see enough things falling the Crows way for them to win.

Lions by plenty

Would not be surprised if we get told to fly to melbourne asap and end up down here for 3-4 weeks. Probably an overreaction, but we only have 1 home game in the next four and if states are going to bed wet like SA has, I think the AFL will make us lose the saints home game.

Also have seen that Corey Lyons is in iso for 14 days (Aspley players on the plane with a covid positive airplane staff member). It was caught pretty quick (flight was friday) but shows how close it can get to an entire footy team being caught up in it.

Would not be surprised if we get told to fly to melbourne asap and end up down here for 3-4 weeks. Probably an overreaction, but we only have 1 home game in the next four and if states are going to bed wet like SA has, I think the AFL will make us lose the saints home game.
If we can coax the AFL into letting us nominate the MCG as our home ground for that week that’s be nice for finals prep.

View attachment 1165537

When Neville Cardus, the greatest cricket writer of all time, was a small boy he would kneel down to say his evening prayers and he would pray for England to win the Test starting the next day but Victor Trumper to make a century. Most Lions’ supporters wouldn’t begrudge Ben Keays a BOG and three Brownlow votes, but we want to win, and none of us would think we need divine help for this one.

View attachment 1165535

Neville Cardus

View attachment 1165543

Victor Trumper

But I am still scarred from a certain game in Adelaide where we were crucified late in the game. It was termed the ‘Daylight robbery at night’ game.

So, I don’t like the Adelaide Football club. However, I am a member of the SACCA and never miss the Adelaide Test and I can’t wait for the end of all these Covid related lockdowns as the footy matches at the ground, especially at night, look glamorous events. The Test matches certainly are worth attending.

View attachment 1165545

At this stage who knows where the game will be held.

Looking at the season stats of Adelaide it shows what you would expect from a bottom side. Adelaide’s only stand out is Walker. who is playing so well in a bottom team. They don’t win if he is kept quiet. Keays, Laird and Seedsman are their first choice on ballers and they don’t fill me with fear but when they knocked off Melbourne all these players got thirty plus disposals and young Ben kicked two goals. Walker, of course, kicked the winning goal.

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
Team Statistics Comparison
Adelaide Crows
Average Per Game
Brisbane Lions
202.4​
Kicks​
230.5​
145.8​
Handballs​
119.9​
348.2​
Disposals​
350.4​
75.7​
Marks​
97.5​
11.5​
Goals​
13.4​
11.0​
Behinds​
11.8​
22.5​
Scoring Shots​
25.2​
56.8​
Tackles​
56.9​
33.0​
Hitouts​
29.9​
21.9​
Frees For​
20.6​
20.4​
Frees Against​
21.5​
7.8​
Goal Assists​
9.0​
52.7​
Inside 50s​
56.4​
141.0​
Contested Possessions​
143.9​
199.4​
Uncontested Possessions​
199.7​
251.5​
Effective Disposals​
246.6​
72.2%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
70.4%​
57.5​
Clangers​
58.8​
12.5​
Contested Marks​
12.6​
10.0​
Marks Inside 50​
12.4​
34.6​
Clearances​
37.6​
12.6​
Centre Clearances​
12.8​
22.0​
Stoppage Clearances​
24.9​
40.0​
Rebound 50s​
39.3​
46.2​
One Percenters​
47.8​
3.1​
Bounces​
1.9​
1.39​
Kick to Handball Ratio​
1.92​
51.1%​
Conversion​
53.2%​
30.28​
Disposals Per Goal​
26.15​
15.48​
Disposals Per Scoring Shot​
13.90​
5903.2​
Metres Gained​
5882.1​
72.6​
Turnovers​
71.1​
71.2​
Intercepts​
74.1​
8.8​
Tackles Inside 50​
9.5​

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
Interestingly, while Adelaide is at the bottom of most stats to advantage, the differences between the two clubs are very small except for two: we get more kicks than Adelaide, and remember Rich kicks it a long way, and they get more handballs. So how do you explain that Adelaide has more metres gained? The Gabba is three metres longer than the Adelaide Cricket ground so that can’t be the answer.

Brisbane is humming along, having only two bad quarters in the last few months. Paine was a welcome addition last week, adding height and pace to the backline. Birchall, Lester and Gardiner will all be back before the finals. The only worry I have is the forward line. There is no one playing forward in the Two’s that looks anything like a competent forward let alone a goal kicker. Coleman and McStay are at best bit players at this stage, being very quiet recently, but until one of the reserves starts to put together several good games they are as safe as houses. What will Brisbane do if Hipwood or Daniher go down?

With the second youngest side and the least experienced side on average this year (look through Jivlain’s ‘Inexperience Watch’ thread to see how we used to suffer when we had a young inexperienced team) it is a rebuilding year for Adelaide and it is hard to see enough things falling the Crows way for them to win.

Lions by plenty

Great work Phil. Thanks .

i say everyone be in Melb come end of week.
We prob play down in Geelong as already a game at MCG and Marvel on Saturday.
Would not mind a trip down Geelong way if we not in lockdown with everyone else by then.

Cats where lucky report they took a earlier flight was booked on the same plane as that flight attendant.

Hope not. QLD should be covid free in about a week, and us playing in Victoria over Brisbane would be a huge disadvantage for us.

So on Saturday Melbourne are playing the Giants at the MCG and the Carlton v Freo game is likely to be moved to Marvel. Assuming that's the case where do we play Adelaide? Mars? Tassie? Geelong?

So on Saturday Melbourne are playing the Giants and the Carlton v Freo game is likely to be moved to Marvel. Assuming that's the case where do we play Adelaide? Mars? Tassie?
My gut feel is GMHBA stadium will be available with the game getting scheduled there unless South Australia give Us precedence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on Saturday Melbourne are playing the Giants at the MCG and the Carlton v Freo game is likely to be moved to Marvel. Assuming that's the case where do we play Adelaide? Mars? Tassie? Geelong?
May be Prinesss Park (Carlton)?

May be Prinesss Park (Carlton)?
would not mind as well
Its the crows home game so not sure they play in Brissy.
They also play Dons the week after if they get to stay

Maybe they play 3 rounds over 2 weeks to get some games done.
Only takes a few more infected from NSW before Vic locksdown.

Lol, that story was so over the top. Is it just click bait or vic media bias?

Thinking Victoria would be a good place to hub? WTF? Hasn't anyone watched the news over the last 18 months? We're the least trustworthy state with the most incompetent government, the most incompetent quarantine system & the most incompetent contact tracing.

The notion that SA could be part of the hub is also laughable. They'll shut borders in half a second with one case no different to what WA has just done.

Qld being ostracized over three cases? Please. To date they've had a pretty good history of getting outbreaks under control. Give em a few days to sort it out.

Hopefully we just fly in and fly out the same day for the Crows game. All get tested of course
Same for the Saints to Qld the following week
AFL promised players no more than 3 weeks on the road.
It is all up to the states CHO to agree to something with the AFL and other codes as well
A guide for us will be if the Crows fly out of Melbourne tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back