Game Day Brisbane v Hawthorn, 7.25pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

becalm

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel our game hinges on our defensive performance in the midfield with a break-even on the stopages. The bookends are just there for when the ball gets out of the midfield.

I wish I had access to the GPS data so I could analyse who and how many spend time in the midfield. We are stacking it heavy with Poppy and Bruest often in there during free play. I consistently see Hardwick and Impy in there as well. We almost seem to stack 10 between the arcs at times trying to bottle up play there. Two years ago we were continually getting beat over the back for easy goals when the ball came out fast from the midfield, but I can hardly remember more than two times that happened this year. Despite seeming to play stacked up in the middle, the backline is not unnecessarily vulnerable. We've got a handle on that end of the pitch.

The forward line still needs work, though. The forwards are frustratingly not in an advantageous position, often outnumbered, when the ball comes in. As we're stacking the midfield it's not a surprise that when the ball moves quickly forward (which it has done a lot this year, to my delight) that we find our forward line outnumbered. But the mids have plenty of time to look up and kick. Whereas for the last two seasons our mids were kicking high bombs under extreme pressure and the forwards were scrambling for anything they could find, our midfield has significantly more time this year and yet still the ball enters often to the advantage of the defender.

It makes me think that our forward patterns are either too predictable or simplistic. It seems that the opposition can set up to hurt us in our forward 50 too consistently. The mids have time to kick to the right spot properly so if I were to guess I would guess that the forwards are not in the positions they should be or that our preferred positions are too obvious for other teams to pick. I guess I feel that our forward runs are the last piece of the puzzle that will make us step up out of the middle pack.
Need to get the ball into the hands of Glass. He has a low penetrating kick.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am expecting one of Lewis or Pittonet will be a late out. Brisbane's ball movement is almost the quickest in the competition, last year they really made as look super slow.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remember how we were beating the league leader in clearances for most of the game last week, as the league's 18th in clearances?

Pitt is bog average, you can dress it up any way you want..

Oh.. you remember that 6ft5 kid who was taking multiple contested marks a few weeks back? 🤪🤪

Lewis is the far superior player and far superior talent, if it’s a late out, it’s not him.

*** LOL “we were” beating... we lost 46-35 clearances

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unfortunately I'm heading out to a wedding tonight so won't be able to watch the game - I got in trouble for making use of my Telstra Live Pass last time.

So I'm really hoping that when I check the scores later we've smashed those little lion cubs.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Today will be my first drink in close to a year, so this will be my one and only post for the day!
Why did you stop drinking a year ago, and why are you going to return to drinking today?

As for the match, how are you guys going without McEvoy?

Is the replacement ruck any match for Stefan Martin?

Huge win against GWS tells me that the master coach Clarkson can win against anybody with any 22 at his disposal.

At the same time, the Lions have to be huge favourites, given what happened twleve months ago.

BigMick1

All Australian
Aug 7, 2010
Tumut , NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big game in context of the season , with Smith/ Scully and Hendo we have a lot more run than what we had last year when they ran the legs off of us.

Think we can be very competitive tonight , they are off a short break back from the the longest trip in the game after a tough loss, the Hodge / Fagan factor is negligible 12 months on, our boys are hungry to win two in a row.. Any takers? ...lol..

Go Hawks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back