Baguley=Laverde
Brown>Lavender
Walla>Houlahan
Green=Younan
McKernan=Stewart
Fantasia>Colyer

So yeah, comfortably so.
Ok who hacked Ethan? ;) :p

Glad Redman is in he's worked hard for his chance in the seniors this year and was a logical replacement when Ridley was out.

Green and Brown in for Laverde and Stewart - on the one I kinda get it since the latter weren't kicking many goals but from a development point of view its very questionable. But in terms of overall impact to the side - its more akin to shuffling deck chairs on the titanic than any massive change.

Myers in doesn't excite me at all. Extremely limited footballer. Guess they just aren't prepared to back in a Mutch or Clarke over the veteran. I wouldn't mind Myers so much if he made his possessions count but he just isn't clean or skilled enough and nor is he a big enough ball winner to make up for those issues.

At least Langford kept his spot in the side. He's definitely been better since coming back into the side. I'm pleased we are finally seeing a bit of the composure we kept hearing about but not seeing at AFL level.

Green had kicked

Have been saying he is done myself but I was just looking through the leading clearance players this season and Myers is at number 23 with an average of 5.20 per game. That puts him in front of Cotchin , Bont , Shuey , Treloar , Higgins , Nathan Jones , Sidebottom , Pendlbury and Heppel to name a few. If only he could make something of the rest of his game.
he's had lots of clearances. The problem is they're of a kind where he gets it and panics and bombs it to a 3 on 1 down field.

They're worse than useless. He can win hard ball but he has no vision to do anything useful with it. Which is weird given I assume we drafted him on his footy brain as opposed to his athleticism.

If you think the list is quite strong then the source of your frustration is over rating the list. It is a middle of the road list and right now we are only just behind middle of the road. We are 2 top class midfielders short at least to start with and I am talking top class not a Darcy Parish who will be good but will not be in the top 25 midfielders going around. Our star FF has a serious injury concern. Our star small forwards from last year have either missed a lot of footy through injury or have not performed as well. We under rate how much James Kelly meant to the side on the field.

As far as backing the path forward, sure you can debate the selection of a few players but we have played a lot of our younger players this year. We have dropped players for not performing.

The real issue is we have no super stars right now. There are none. Daniher was on the way but he is out. Z Merrit still could be but right now he is not. Hurley has been but is not at his best. None of the young players are Dangerfield in the making or Judd in the making. A few look to be good players in the making yes but there is a lack of genuine gun players.

The list is average.

Agree and disagree.

Yep we r short in class around the ball no doubt and I’ve said many times that’s our biggest shortfall

I’d have our list just above middle of the road but with an upward arrow. That being, there’s still huge upside when considering the talent of Laverde Francis Parrish McGrath Ridley begley Langford Clarke etc

We then have a core group of 23 - 26 which can play very good footy for next 7 or 8 years - smith hep daniher Merrett stringer saad Fantasia Stewart

Yep there’s more to it but my humble opinion is that the only we way to give us a chance of competing for a flag is to play kids who’ve earned their spot consistently over journeymen like bags Myers green and brown.

That’s not saying we can’t play a couple from time to time but everything we do should be about making the right decisions to develop a premiership team

Agree and disagree.

Yep we r short in class around the ball no doubt and I’ve said many times that’s our biggest shortfall

I’d have our list just above middle of the road but with an upward arrow. That being, there’s still huge upside when considering the talent of Laverde Francis Parrish McGrath Ridley begley Langford Clarke etc

We then have a core group of 23 - 26 which can play very good footy for next 7 or 8 years - smith hep daniher Merrett stringer saad Fantasia Stewart

Yep there’s more to it but my humble opinion is that the only we way to give us a chance of competing for a flag is to play kids who’ve earned their spot consistently over journeymen like bags Myers green and brown.

That’s not saying we can’t play a couple from time to time but everything we do should be about making the right decisions to develop a premiership team

Yep. And the poor decisions continue.

Giving a game to all mediocre footballers in Green, Myers, Baguely, Dea and Brown when all are passed the age of improvement is laughable. None really bring anything to a non finals playing team that outweighs youth, development and potential. You can play 2-3 for depth and expirience but 5 of these guys against the bottom team is a disgrace.

Then factor in still playing the goddard and the older players in the key roles when our season is done and it's really not hard to see why we have the longest winning finals drought of any club. *gold coast not counted.

Yep. And the poor decisions continue.

Giving a game to all mediocre footballers in Green, Myers, Baguely, Dea and Brown when all are passed the age of improvement is laughable. None really bring anything to a non finals playing team that outweighs youth, development and potential. You can play 2-3 for depth and expirience but 5 of these guys against the bottom team is a disgrace.

Then factor in still playing the goddard and the older players in the key roles when our season is done and it's really not hard to see why we have the longest winning finals drought of any club. *gold coast not counted.

Correct. And can absolutely see us getting touched up tomorrow by bottom of ladder lions. We r essendon!

Correct. And can absolutely see us getting touched up tomorrow by bottom of ladder lions. We r essendon!

These blokes are only keeping 2 top 10 picks and others like Laverde etc out of the side. Also when these guys do come in, we make sure they only play as the 6th midfielder, fwd/back pocket or flankers so we restrict there potential and can't really get any indication if they are up to it or not.
Give them some key roles, key positions to play.

It is NOW time! to play them on oppositions best fwd, back, mid. Have them be the loose man in defence, the go to option or key defensive fwd. At the moment all the players we need to improve come in as a half fwd, back pocket and play the 15 possie. 16th best player role. Our season is done, lets develop, look for the improvement we need.

I also like how we have the recruits to blame, when all 3 have played better this year than they did in the last two years at there previous clubs.

Or maybe we should honest and realise its the football department, coaches and the clubs decision making that has held this club back for the last ten years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StKilda went all out playing their youth and it got them nowhere and continues to do the same. All of the Grand Final winning teams have very few inexperienced players. We still have Langford, McGrath, Guelfi and Redman in this team and apart from a handful, we are a young team.

Laverde, Stewart, Francis, Clarke and others (Long) turns will come in the very near future. Reckon we should still do our best to try to play finals, despite it being a faint glimmer of hope. And players should be played on form, not to get games under their belt.

Those that think Laverde and Stewart were playing well are kidding, right? When we needed them most, they went to water against Tigers

StKilda went all out playing their youth and it got them nowhere and continues to do the same. All of the Grand Final winning teams have very few inexperienced players. We still have Langford, McGrath, Guelfi and Redman in this team and apart from a handful, we are a young team.

Laverde, Stewart, Francis, Clarke and others (Long) turns will come in the very near future. Reckon we should still do our best to try to play finals, despite it being a faint glimmer of hope. And players should be played on form, not to get games under their belt.

Those that think Laverde and Stewart were playing well are kidding, right? When we needed them most, they went to water against Tigers

We aren’t playing a grand final tomorrow. We r playing the bottom of the ladder. We are 12th

We aren’t playing a grand final tomorrow. We r playing the bottom of the ladder. We are 12th

..and only two games out of the eight. I’m sure Worsfold would love better alternatives than Myers and Green.

The team is better off getting games into our high picks that need the experience.

By all means, select senior players, but do it based on form and proof that they WILL play confident football from leading by example.

We need more output from our senior players. At this point you just expect them to be confident players.

Travel back to 2000, even the younger guys, your caracella's. blumfield's, heffernan's, solomon's, they were ball winners, goal kickers, great precision kickers, great defensive pressure. The senior group back then had natural football confidence, you knew they could take the game on and do it well, because they wanted to and because they enjoyed football..

No excuse. Essendon list needs a rebuild and revision on what they actually want to achieve in any given football game. Not just the season. But out of a game where they actually choose to play four quarters of confident football.

If your team has players that can't be bothered running, can't be bothered going for the contested mark, don't want to be in the contest, don't communicate, then don't play at all. Hire players that want to play football and make sure the coaching and fitness, tactics are at a level to compete with the other teams.

Tired of seeing lazy, fumbly football from a (supposedly) professional football side.

Also, this might seem uncomfortable, but what do these guys do all week?? I assume they train?? why am i even asking this question?

Last edited:
Brad Scott's coaching of the last 24 months is exactly what we need, From delisting Boomer, Petrie, NDS to playing kids, To building a team that suits modern footy.

That's what we need and we haven't realized it yet.

North are not playing a lot of kids. The simple fact is thy have been under rated. The side to play Geelong has 3 players who have played under 20 games. No players aged under 20. Three player aged 20. They have Anderson and Waite out of the side who are best 22 when fit. They have a lot of players in the 25 to 30 age group who have played 40 plus games.
Even the new players who have played 1 game before today are not all first year players. Ahern was with GWS but has had knee injuries and Tom Murphy is 20 and from the rookie list.
People just seriously under rated them, myself included. There have been a few players reaching their potential after injury including Marley Williams , Jed Anderson, Mason Wood. Daw has found a spot in defence. Goldstien is in better form. Their man defenders have all played 80 plus games. Atley is finally played consistent footy week in and week out. Their midfield is no longer full of plodders and they have very good KP players.

33 with no future or 28-30 with no future is the same thing.
So is 22 or 18 with no future the same thing.

Reckon you can usually see signs in players that are going to make it.

Begleys aggressive tackling and straight kicking for goal, Fantasia run and carry take the game on, Joeys marking, Ridley's coolness and 22 possession first game, McGrath looked as though he belonged, as did Parish, Langford played forward and immediately found space and was elusive, McKennas run and carry and straight kicking.

Then you have the guys like the Ashbys, Steinberg, Elliott Kavagnah that didn't show anything special but everyone hopes they will improve because they were a high draft pick. These list cloggers are the ones that bring the club down. As do the guys that are constantly injury prone.

One worrying thing against Tigers was that our 3 best players came from other clubs this season Stringer, Saad, Smith. We would have been smashed by even more if we had persevered with our home grown list. It looked pretty average.

Last edited:
All of the Grand Final winning teams have very few inexperienced players.

I think the experience line is one of the bigger fallacies in football. Why should players get experience? Because they perform a role successfully for a long period of time.

That really hasn’t been the case at Essendon for a long time. Coaches have played favourites and ignored VFL form until their hand is forced.

To select someone who has performed their role poorly for a long period of time isn’t the way forward.

Seems fans are deluded more then the club. We are not playing finals. We 100% are not winning a final this year. Ill take bets.

We have experience hurley, hooker, heppel, goddard, bellchambers. Not saying play kids only but something is seriously wrong when you are playing 6 mature age list cloggers in the one team over top 10 draft pics. i can wear 2-3 each week to play a role but 5- 6 in the one team against the bottom team.

Name any other team where any of myers, green, dea, baguely, brown are best 22. Gold coast and Carlton excluded. There is no team in my mind where all 5 would get a game at the same time. No team but essendon.

Enjoy Mediocrity!!

..and only two games out of the eight. I’m sure Worsfold would love better alternatives than Myers and Green.

Alternatives like development. Non list cloggers, like information to decide careers, make list decisions on.
Delusional.

Ill give you 3 - 1 odds we wont play finals this year. 5-1 to win a final. U pick the amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back