Preview Essendon vs Brisbane, Etihad, Sunday 02/07/17 @ 1:10 PM

Loser?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWS were heavy favourites and were still smart enough to tag zorko.

We have to do that next week too especially with beams out.

I just hope we dont get cocky because anything can happen when you dont pay your opposition any respect. Despite how poor you think they might be.
Agree re Zorko been amazing this year!
Surely they wont be cocky particularly after friday nights result. I would expect them to go for the kill.

Ugh that ******* game :mad:

+73 disposals
+22 i50
- Brown being paid a mark when he was clearly over the line
- Hurley being knocked out by Merrett
- Brent Staker having been stuck in AFL wilderness, kicking the goal that sealed it

I was there. I love attending *ed games

After all of that, we can still be in the 8 next week. West Coast and Bulldogs play each other. We have a better percentage. We can overtake Sydney's percentage. Just need St Kilda to choke 1.

After the Sydney loss, I highly doubt that the boys will be complacent and take Brisbane lightly.

Brisbane aren't really all that bad - I've seen them a few times and they are a building side. Beams out is a massive loss for them though.
I don't think they will be easy beats but if we play near our best we should win fairly comfortably. I think we are considerably better in a few areas than we were back at the start of the season: particularly ball movement, defense is a bit more solid and our forward line has generally operated really well (Sydney loss aside) we have been routinely scoring over 100 in recent weeks.

Our players won't be able to take this match lightly because we both desperately need to win it at 6-7 and also competition for spots are fierce.
In truth I don't think there's been a match this year where we haven't come to play (some we didn't play that well but normally it hasn't been a lack of effort). The Adelaide game we got belted but they were on cloud nine that day and we didn't yet have the cohesion as a team. We ran out of legs against Melbourne and Freo following the 4 day ANZAC Day break but other than that its mostly been close losses or wins.

There's a clearly developing theme to the teams that beat us. Most teams that have got us - have shut us down with forward pressure and winning clearances and grinded out a win. This is how Carlton, Richmond and Sydney got us. Only Adelaide and GWS have been able to go head to head scoring and beat us in that game. I can't really classify Melb and Freo - we had plenty of chances in both games and they were kind of train wrecks in the second halves of both games.

Brisbane are absolutely not capable of shutting us down. They've had the most points conceded by a mile with 119 points against per game. They have been scoring decently though. I think their forward line has a lot of potential and is really coming along. I think because of the nature of how they play its going to be very tough for them to win if they try to play an open game at Etihad. With Beams out, the midfield is probably in our favour and any time we've won the inside 50s we've done exceptionally well (only twice so far this season though - Port and West Coast wins).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need one quick look at the ladder to understand how important percentage is this year.
Could easily be the difference to making the top 8. Need to give it a boost this game..
True... seeing us sitting in sixth a week or 2 back and now we are 10th and could even be 12th after today's results.

That one point loss could really come back to bite us.

And will be made more frustrating if we miss because we are a team that could seriously test those higher in the 8.... won't be limping into the 8 making up the numbers like we have in previous years.

We will most likely be required to win 7 of our last 9 games to guarantee a spot.

Last edited:
True... seeing us sitting in sixth a week or 2 back and now we are 10th and could even be 12th after today's results.

That one point loss could really come back to bite us.

And will be made more frustrating if we miss because we are a team that could seriously test those higher in the 8.... won't be limping into the 8 making up the numbers like we have in previous years.
If we don't make finals with our run home, we won't be testing anyone.

If we don't make finals with our run home, we won't be testing anyone.
I don't think our run home will prove to be any easier than the other teams. Teams like Collingwood, North Melbourne, Carlton, Western Bulldogs may have more to play for than those higher up the ladder... eg Buckleys coaching job.

Going to be an interesting finish to the season... dream draw for the AFL with so many teams having a finals chance.

Getting percentage boost from this game could be equally as important as last weeks game.

Last edited:
If we can't make the finals with remaining draw then we don't deserve to be there anyway. Not saying it's a super easy draw, just that 7 of the 9 teams are out of the eight.

I've seen the script for these sorts of games too often the last decade or more.

Whilst we should win, Brisbane made it difficult for us in Round 2.

I think we are facing an uphill battle to make finals. The last 5 minute meltdown to Sydney was a double whammy - obviously we lost, but we could have dealt a severe blow to one of our rivals for spots 7th and 8th on the ladder. Sydney still have to play away games to GWS, Adelaide, Geelong and Melbourne so they would have had to have been really good to only lose a maximum of two games and win all their remaining games. I think they'll make just make it now.

12 wins + good percentage may be enough to make finals. 13 wins, which would guarantee us entry, seems like a big stretch, but 12 (6-3 from now) is possible. This is the sort of game we need to win by 10 goals as we will need to push our percentage towards 110%. The early consensus winning margin is 44 points, but I can see it not entirely going to plan.

This might be a tough game.

Baguley Hartley Gleeson
McKenna Hurley McGrath
Zaharakis Heppell Parish
Fantasia Daniher Langford
Stewart Hooker Walla
Bellchambers Watson Z Merrett
Kelly Green Goddard Colyer

If Hooker gets up, I would say it's close to the best team we could field currently. With only Ambrose and possibly Laverde to come in.
If Green doesn't get up, I'd be very keen to give Begley a go. Be good to see another first year player in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back