Injury Brisbane's injury list needs to be talked about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yo Chofu, can you pls post Carlton's injury list for comparison?
Sorry I was trying to figure out who you were talking to.

Use proper user names. This isn't the Bay.

PlayerInjuryEstimated Return
Charlie Curnow Knee Season
Sam Docherty Knee Season
Michael Gibbons Shoulder Test
Liam Jones Throat Season
Pat Kerr Shoulder Season
Darcy Lang Ankle Season
Kym LeBois Hamstring Test
Caleb Marchbank Neck Season
Jacob Weitering Groin Test
Tom Williamson Back Season
Updated: Tuesday, August 20

Surely the fitness department isn't responsible for unforseeable on-field injuries?

A good strength and fitness program places significant focus on injury prevention and injury management (taking into account there are plenty of players who play out seasons while managing injuries).

The rest as you rightly point out are unforeseeable injuries which have an element of luck involved - So pretty meaningless.

Also: Nobody knows who Tom Joyce even is.

Educate yourself on young guns and come back to me sweetie.

Tremendous disrespect shown to Brisbane's Dangerfield.

There is obviously some luck involved, but too many people think that good injury runs are pure luck. I don’t think that’s the case. There are elements of good injury management too. Clubs are the ones who set out rehabilitation programs and different programs will have varying levels of success if we’re going to be honest. This is also the case with general training regimes.

Brisbane are having a good run with injuries this year. Whether luck played a big role in their run is something we’ll have to see in the next few years.

There is obviously some luck involved, but too many people think that good injury runs are pure luck. I don’t think that’s the case. There are elements of good injury management too. Clubs are the ones who set out rehabilitation programs and different programs will have varying levels of success if we’re going to be honest. This is also the case with general training regimes.

Brisbane are having a good run with injuries this year. Whether luck played a big role in their run is something we’ll have to see in the next few years.
Most definitely. Three or four seasons of no injuries to speak of and you have absolute masters on your staff.

I reckon it goes something like:
33% of injuries are just luck - stuff happens on the footy field and in training.
33% of injuries are more to do with the players and how naturally injury prone or otherwise they are
33% is good management.

As for the question that some pedantic person will no doubt raise - you can put the extra 1% wherever you like.

This post isn't intended to discredit teams that have had a good run. I've no doubt they've managed their injuries well, I just reckon the difference between the worst injury lists and the best is more due to luck and natural player vulnerabilities than anything.

I do reckon we could improve our management too, probably why we sacked Crow as of the end of this year.

it's likely they'll suddenly get a run of injuries in the finals and will still probably lose even with everyone in the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our conditioning team has really stepped up this season. It's not really that we've played bruise free footy either. It's just all clicked so far. Hope it keeps going.

Which segues to this statement perfectly- fk off Chief, don't put a pox on us by posting this thread of this nature a week before our first finals appearance in a decade!

Our conditioning team has really stepped up this season. It's not really that we've played bruise free footy either. It's just all clicked so far. Hope it keeps going.

Which segues to this statement perfectly- fk off Chief, don't put a pox on us by posting this thread of this nature a week before our first finals appearance in a decade!
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Soft tissue type stuff I’d put on the conditioning staff, your impact type ones are often just dumb luck, with an element of players needing to have sufficient skills and awareness to protect themselves.

Essendon is one where I’d say our conditioning staff aren’t quite right as we do seem to get regular niggles and recurring injuries, but also some general bad luck with stuff. Hurley for example, an AC joint from a collision then a dislocated (other) shoulder from a completely different kind of collision is just bad luck for the guy.

Was just thinking this and then I saw on AFL.com.au that Zorko (broken metatarsal), McCluggage (ACL) and Charlie Cameron (ruptured testical) have done themselves some mischief in a training mishap.

Who would've thunk it!

Just giving an example of how any given Wednesday afternoon video watching session would go at Pie Land.

From memory we were pretty settled with a best 22 last season aswell. I wonder if anyone can run the figures on how many played 22 last season and 22 this season.

Is it weird that we have also had the most settled 22 out of the comp with 11 players playing all 22 or is that more part the parcel of having everyone fit.

Was just thinking this and then I saw on AFL.com.au that Zorko (broken metatarsal), McCluggage (ACL) and Charlie Cameron (ruptured testical) have done themselves some mischief in a training mishap.

Who would've thunk it!

Just giving an example of how any given Wednesday afternoon video watching session would go at Pie Land.
I 99.9% know you're joking, but that .1% of doubt made me go and check just to be sure.

I reckon it goes something like:
33% of injuries are just luck - stuff happens on the footy field and in training.
33% of injuries are more to do with the players and how naturally injury prone or otherwise they are
33% is good management.

+ IMO a fair portion can be attributed to morale and culture.

A mind under stress will be more likely put its body under stress.

Also, when morale is up, good diet, good training for injury prevention, good recovery, good rehab, good motivation to get back after injury are all much easier to do.

And when the mind is happy, the body heals better after exercise and injury.

It’s often said that teams perform well because their injury lists are short, but IMO the causal link can also be the other way around: the injury list is short because the team is performing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back