Autopsy Brisbog’s Sliding Doors, Episode 1: Why didn’t someone discombobulate Darren Jarman?

Remove this Banner Ad

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As Barrett’s ‘Sliding Doors’ segment on a Friday is frankly, a load of s**t and should be boycotted, it is with great pride that today I am launching our very own Western Bulldog ‘Sliding Doors’ moments extravaganza.

Our season is officially cooked, with Biggs, Roughy and co’s send off game(s) in full swing with the majority of discussion on the board surrounding that piss-ant Damien Barrett - it time to divert and go through history, looking through the lens of ‘discombobulation’, analysing where as a club we butchered our trophy cabinet to merely contain 2 cups, 64 years apart.

Now some may call me a sadist, but if I ever want to get rid of an unwanted erection I quickly turn on a replay of the second half of the 97’ Preliminary Final. An effective solution (I have heard) to a common problem is to have two internet browser windows open, one streaming your favourite pr0n, whilst a dormant video of Darren Jarman pulling our clubs pants down awaits in the other in case the misses or unwanted religious folk pull into the driveway.

One warning: Do not enter ‘Darren Jarman pulls pants down in xhamster.com’ - FMD.

As such, I can call myself an expert on the 1997 Preliminary Final - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide.

We all know the end result, Jarman kicks 3 including 2 in the last to almost single handedly win the game. Rohan Smith pounds the turf, Terry Wallace’s voice changes to a permanent high pitch falceto on the final siren, whilst Domestic Violence rates tripled overnight in the Western Suburbs.

This horrific afternoon (voted 5th best game all time by Fox Viewers - get f**ked), in my expert opinion, came down to one often overlooked moment in the second quarter, well before the Dogs shat the bed in the last.

That moment was a beautifully executed tackle by Mark West, a favourite player of mine, that led to a goal to a Nathan Brown.

18 minutes into the second quarter Jarman gathers the ball at half back. Mark West, the only Bulldog on this shitful day to read which direction Jarman was moving, lined up the pie-eating master from his right and delivered a powerful, but fair tackle on Jarman. The ball spilled from Jarman’s arms and with it spilled the 1997 Premiership Cup.

(Tackle seen at 5:12)

Mark West played 16 games for the Western Bulldogs. The 97’ Prelim was arguably his finest. In his 16 games he knocked out Leigh Colbert’s front teeth at Kardinia Park, broke Troy McDonald’s shoulder and was reported later during the 97 Prelim.

Mark ‘Mark West’ West was not a man who tackled ‘fair’.

If Mark West had his time again Darren Jarman would also be missing several teeth - perhaps lessening DJ’s exponential path to obesity later in life and sending us through to our third Grand Final.

Mark West’s moment of madness was that this very moment was devoid of madness.

As Barrett’s ‘Sliding Doors’ segment on a Friday is frankly, a load of s**t and should be boycotted, it is with great pride that today I am launching our very own Western Bulldog ‘Sliding Doors’ moments extravaganza.

Our season is officially cooked, with Biggs, Roughy and co’s send off game(s) in full swing with the majority of discussion on the board surrounding that piss-ant Damien Barrett - it time to divert and go through history, looking through the lens of ‘discombobulation’, analysing where as a club we butchered our trophy cabinet to merely contain 2 cups, 64 years apart.

Now some may call me a sadist, but if I ever want to get rid of an unwanted erection I quickly turn on a replay of the second half of the 97’ Preliminary Final. An effective solution (I have heard) to a common problem is to have two internet browser windows open, one streaming your favourite pr0n, whilst a dormant video of Darren Jarman pulling our clubs pants down awaits in the other in case the misses or unwanted religious folk pull into the driveway.

One warning: Do not enter ‘Darren Jarman pulls pants down in xhamster.com’ - FMD.

As such, I can call myself an expert on the 1997 Preliminary Final - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide.

We all know the end result, Jarman kicks 3 including 2 in the last to almost single handedly win the game. Rohan Smith pounds the turf, Terry Wallace’s voice changes to a permanent high pitch falceto on the final siren, whilst Domestic Violence rates tripled overnight in the Western Suburbs.

This horrific afternoon (voted 5th best game all time by Fox Viewers - get f**ked), in my expert opinion, came down to one often overlooked moment in the second quarter, well before the Dogs shat the bed in the last.

That moment was a beautifully executed tackle by Mark West, a favourite player of mine, that led to a goal to a Nathan Brown.

18 minutes into the second quarter Jarman gathers the ball at half back. Mark West, the only Bulldog on this shitful day to read which direction Jarman was moving, lined up the pie-eating master from his right and delivered a powerful, but fair tackle on Jarman. The ball spilled from Jarman’s arms and with it spilled the 1997 Premiership Cup.

Mark West played 16 games for the Western Bulldogs. The 97’ Prelim was arguably his finest. In his 16 games he knocked out Leigh Colbert’s front teeth at Kardinia Park, broke Troy McDonald’s shoulder and was reported later during the 97 Prelim.

If Mark West had his time again Darren Jarman would also be missing several teeth - perhaps lessening DJ’s exponential path to obesity later in life and sending us through to our third Grand Final.

Mark West’s moment of madness was that this very moment was devoid of madness.[/QUOTE

Lost the game at the selection table. Kolinyuk should have played and not N. Brown. End of story.

Mark West kicked it out on the full twice late in the game with blazing torpedo punts. :(

We failed to score a goal in the last quarter when one would have sufficed. :(

The loss had nothing to do with Darren Jarman, we choked on our own vomit. :(

Can't wait for 1998 I had free tickets to that one the Andrew McLeod discombobulation. :(

Why you do this Brisdog ? ;)

You’re partly right XX5 - playing a bloke who’d dislocated his shoulder against the Swans, and then was out of the prelim before halftime, was the bigger selection error. Admire Romero’s hardness, but playing him in the prelim was stupidly optimistic.

I was only 11 years old on that god awful day. I wasn't at the game, but I still have vivid memories of the tantrum I threw on the final siren. You'd think that even after only 5 or 6 years of supporting this club that I would have learned to expect the disappointment, but apparently not.

I went to the 1998 prelim. Let's just not go there.

We were either a competent goal umpire or a video score review system away from a flag that year.
The Saints were toast as soon as Spider Everitt was injured.

During the week leading up to the PF, felt that Romero could not possibly play, having dislocated his shoulder late in the Swans final.

Could not believe they selected him. I was sure Billy Kolyniuk was going to be in for Jose.

That selection error cost us that day.

Billy was so good at kicking clutch goals in big games. He would've got a couple in that last quarter!

Still hurts, although a bit less so after 2016.

IF Those bastard Hawks (2nd last on ladder) hadn't played such unsociable footy in Round 22 (led by that prick Brad Scott)...

THEN Dimma and Danny Southern would have been on the ground instead of the stands and said Jarman heroics wouldn't have made a difference...

WHY Scrag, WHY?
:(

Well done on being the first person to make me chuckle when thinking about that day. Up until now a bitter grimace was the best I could do.

97 PF was the only game I ever teared up in....until the GF

No thread on Darren Jarman is complete without a pic.

images (41).jpeg
Any arch villlain should have a nickname. Gonna run with the obvious.
images (42).jpeg
Darren Jarman - Fat Bastard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 has made me come to terms with a two year period (97-98) in my devout football following that was previously intolerable.... I am still unhappy over 2009... St Nick and his pathetic diving.... disallowed Eagleton bombs from beyond the 50....

Barracked for the Crows last year in the granny... would have been better to see them win than the big-headed Richmond brigade we have to endure now....

I remember the day of this game as a young fella. It was during the 18-24 months that I was a Brisbane Bears/Lions supporter. My old man is a dogs man and had to work that day. We dropped him off at work in pants, came home in shorts. Got that angry at the result he ripped the legs of his pants off.

I went to this game with Gwenyth Paltrow a few years ago.

Upon entering the MCG, I was detained by security because they thought I was holding a detonator. It took about 15 minutes for police and security to be convinced that the piece of equipment I was holding wasn't a detonator, but in fact an advanced piece of technology called an iPhone.

We won the match by four goals after kicking nine goals to one in the final quarter. It was an inspirational final quarter from our superstar forward Chris Grant who kicked seven final quarter goals, a finals record that stands to this day. His brilliance that resulted in his final goal had Sandy Roberts shouting, "Incredible play, boy". The confusion of that call had Kevin Bartlett believing Sandy had referred to our superstar as a Playboy, and he was given the nickname Hugh (Hefner). From that moment he was known as Chris "Hugh" Grant. Sliding Doors, hey? It was a brilliant afternoon.

Gwenyth and I partied long into the night, celebrating over $2 pots. She ended up inviting me back to her hotel room, but unfortunately she was hit by a van walking across a pedestrian crossing and spent the night in hospital.

Cookie knocked Jarman out already, it didn't help
These days he would have been off under HIA
Mark West had the potential to send that fat campaigner to the moon. Mark West had similar timing to Mark Hunt, I loved the bloke. Shame his shoulders were cooked.

What a nightmare. So many dumb moments. Why did Croft play on ? (Crofty always played on). Why didn’t Monty pick the ball up ? Why didn’t the goal umpire see what my hawks supporter brother in law saw when libba kicked the ball over his head ? Urgh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back