FTA-TV Britannia

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished the season and it did improve in the back half. It could have been so much more with better writing and acting, but with an obvious set up for a 2nd season, hopefully the deficiencies are looked at for the future.

Finished the season and it did improve in the back half. It could have been so much more with better writing and acting, but with an obvious set up for a 2nd season, hopefully the deficiencies are looked at for the future.

Made it to the end but it was so mixed in quality.

Writing/direction
Some good scenes spoilt by so many bad scenes.​

Acting/casting
Good - Mackenzie Crook, Kelly Reilly, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Eleanor Worthington-Cox.
Bad - everyone else​

Episodes
1 was bad for an intro, then a few more stinkers, 6 was good, 7 horrible, 9 good to go out on.
Theme tune
Donovan doesn't sit right.

4 episodes in and it is okay. It hasn't hit the heights I was hoping it would.
Me too, I agree, but I am still going to persevere, it has me wondering , the Roman General, what did they do to him drug him or what, and the magical Brit with the two Roman soldiers, is this show heading to fantasy land ?
I know we have a bit of magic here and superstitious stuff . Like a small part of the Vikings and the soothsayer, but this is over the top magic.
For me when that gets over done , you may as well be watching a super hero movie, and I fear Britannia is heading in that direction . And all the signs are there for us, for a readable forward guessing plot line, that's probably coming.

I thought that with Vikings, but no, it turned into a brilliant historical fiction and taught us something.

I think Britannia has gone past the point of no return, with its supernatural.

I was hoping for a quality fictional and historical story as best they could do, like Vikings . But I think its going to deteriorate into hero stuff. And implausible plots.

The Roman return to the British Isles in the first century would be great if it was done the Viking people have.

In fact who has made this show?

It certainly has not got the look of realism as the brilliant series ROME?

Will give it a couple of episodes, but that trailer looks like its trying too hard.

I hope that it doesn't try to force the "Celts were mystical people" angle too much

I think the magical /mystical is getting over killed , I thought that first up, mind readers and mind changers (the two Romans bamboozled by the what ever person?????,) and an actual heart pounding in a Druids hand , of course there are mysteries of those people , but for an historical fiction program , this Britannia is losing me with too much bulldust magic.

We have a soothsayer in Vikings, yes , but it comes over differently and he predicts things, they had and have people like that, fortune tellers.
This show is meant to represent magic as a fooling of ancient people, but its not showing that, its should show fantasy through the psychology of the people of the time and superstition , but its blatantly showing non believable visual magic.
LET ME ASK THIS , the Roman General and the Brit celt, who went for some long trip off a cliff or in a tunnel and went into what I thought was the ocean to have visions of the dead , what the hell is that? Anyone?

That spoils it for me.

So its authenticity as a program in the same calibre as Vikings or Rome, well , it doesn't stand up! After three or four episodes is making me think they've failed in what people want to see .

Historical Fiction done well, is the best , to do it you have to be reasonable not stupid, I will continue watching it
but its sort of lost me a bit .

Curious now what others think?

4 episodes in and it is okay. It hasn't hit the heights I was hoping it would.

Yes several episodes , and it is just OK.
As far as historical fiction that is intelligent and goes into the true knowledge as much as it ca, to look pretty close to what happened, Britannia is not doing that , and it looks like my fears have been proven, what with the mad magician and the young girl and the Roman general all down there in the underworld, well that kills it's realness for me.
Now I know, Vikings is too, a television film production, but they got as close as they could to the real story and authenticity, and they did change a few things from History, but things to make it move along, I am fine with that taking of a bit of imaginative license. But even Bjorn and his warriors having an instinctive feeling about Ragnars death on the high cliffs in the wind that is a good way of describing intuition.
It is certainly not 3 characters visiting the underworld by diving off a cliff well one dives off a cliff, or breathing in some drug.
It just takes the mickey out of viewers, so I guess its not really historical fiction, I would have thought the show would be a look at the first Claudian invasion of Britain with some good historical stuff, not magic bullshit.
I've read up on this, and also the druid leader, who says the General reminds him of someone he met in the past??
ITS JULIUS CAESAR for crying out loud . So there is more magic and over done imagination or lack of knowledge from the script writers!
Caesar was in Britain , for a couple of short visits in 55 and 54 BC, it's 43 AD in this series isn't it. That would make the druid boss 98 years old, now I know they practised strange religious things but really we know they didn't jump of cliffs for delving into the underworld or hell.
And some drug puffed into their face , well in reality might have sent them into LSD land or into a light show!

But for the Druid priest have remembered Caesar, he would have had to be more than a baby or very small child to have any idea .
You who like this historical stuff, I know you can tell the rubbish for a good try at putting stories and history together, these producers have spent a lot of money on a lot of unbelievable rot.

So I would have prefered to see an intelligent portrayal, of why people of that time , including the Romans were so concerned or terrified of the Druids.
But all this has done, is turn them into some freaky demons.

There are better ways to portray supernatural things, and in a way that doesn't make it look like a Superman movie.

Now if that girl with no name yet, turns out to be Boudica, then its lost me, because I thought she was an Iceni person, and her tribe is Canti ??
I am sure there are some people out there who know the tribal details of those people ?

And I may be wrong, but that warrior woman's history is a great story in itself without magic bullshit being played out.

So I'll watch this show now.
I've gone too far in hoping it'd get better, to not finish it. For curiosity sake.

If they take it to another season I would hope they replace the writers, they seem to have gone into Lord of the rings mode, with their magic?

Didn't mind it, but I'm a sucker for anything Roman. Just hope it doesn't develop into a "Dances with Wolves" type of story where the invaders are uncultured brutal baddies while the locals are mystical magical goodies
This show comes no where near the quality of Dances with Wolves , believe me!

By the way , the invaders were pretty bad in those days, scalping for instance was introduced to the indians .
Not sure by who, but it was learnt.

Well obviously most of the people on here,are smarter than me and have given Britannia the bullet.

I don't blame you but the story which is magical drug taking bullshit, with no historical fiction apparent is just got my curiosity.
But as something to learn from or get a feel of the time , and the Claudian invasion of Briton is lost in this one.

Last night the dope smoking or dope eating or body changing spirits , well its just bullshit and I expect my army of the dead, the white walkers to turn up any second!

Druids probably drug ridden weirdos,who terrified an almost stone age population,and scared the s**t out of over superstitious Romans this is a fantasy. Not quality.

Anyone else getting fed up waiting for something to happen in this Britannia series, its gone a few weeks and nothing has developed , whose this girl wandering around with the magic bloke, jumping off cliffs etc, is she going to be Boudicca or something down the track in this show, I am getting pretty bored waiting for something to actually happen, and the druids magic is getting a bit over the top, and whose the whacko with the" nearly became king" fellow with his sisters head?

6 eps in and it's actually improved. The opposite of most series that make sure episode 1 is a humdinger then it tails off. Still reckon there's a few casting issues and some dodgy scenes but the storyline is not bad.

I'm going all the way.
It hasn't gotten better, believe it. But I started it, so I'll see out no.2 season but really it is bullshit, and the Emperor Claudius s' visit well really?

Actually I may not see out season 2 if something doesn't move in this show!

It actually has to settle like all things, but I would hope that it sits well like Vikings, and shows itself up to good historical fiction, of which I'm a huge fan .
It did move slow first episode , and I guess we know who the young girl is. Or do we?

The music in it to start and finish the show is the best part of the whole thing "Donavan" songs and others, no kids, Not Ray Donavan.

"Could of stepped out easy , but I changed my way, superman and green lantern ain't got, nothin on me.........."
reckon I 'd get a gig somewhere? Seeing as I'm answering my own posts, I guess this show has crashed.

Yeah same after 3 eps. Too much cheesy dialog and B grade acting. We even had cheeky chappy cockney PC Nick Klein from the Bill as a Roman soldier. Would have loved to have seen him say to the David Morrisey character 'knock it on head, Governor'. Gedit? Governor. I'm here all week!

Quite like the Mackenzie Crook druid and Kelly Reilly's female ginger ninja. Otherwise it's Carry On up the Old Kent Road.
Is the creepy druid boss out of The Office, Ricky's Office, not the American one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hasn't gotten better, believe it. But I started it, so I'll see out no.2 season but really it is bullshit, and the Emperor Claudius s' visit well really?

Actually I may not see out season 2 if something doesn't move in this show!

I watched the first ep of season 2 and I'm done with it.

Writing/direction

Acting/casting
Good - Mackenzie Crook, Kelly Reilly, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Eleanor Worthington-Cox.​
Bad - everyone else​

Episodes
1 was bad for an intro, then a few more stinkers, 6 was good, 7 horrible, 9 good to go out on.​
Theme tune
Donovan doesn't sit right.​
Just good music, but no, it doesn't fit, and the fact that two years ago it was described as an up and coming historical drama, well Claudius being piddled on by a General, plus the whole Roman garrison being bombed with magic mushrooms, and all the magic the Druids do.
The drug thing is maybe giving the audience some reason for all the magic and diving into the sea of fear for information or what ever these people dive into?
The young girl with the magic bloke running somewhere, I don't really know. The Generals lover meeting her sister, and all the heads flying into the camp, (which begs the question which camp) what the hell is this Roman General up too, he too dived into the depths to get some idea of the druids, and how come the Druid DEAD man and the VERAN WHATEVER THAT MEANS IT SEEMS ARE BROTHERS? I must have got lost somewhere!

Well Britannia , I have given you this amount of time, I'll finish the season off because I am stupid enough to get curious as to how the writers of this confusing magical, non-historical style show will finish it off.
I wonder if they might actually answer why the bulldust, Game of Thrones ,style of show?
Accept Britannia seems like more bulldust than the Thrones production, and Donavan well love his songs , but how is it relevant to a Roman era , so-called historical show, that could have been really interesting, as really good historical fiction can be
Example:
I thought the end of Apocalypto was genius when the Spanish or Portugese ships had arrived as Jaguar Paw escaped with his family, what was left of it, into the jungle.
That small part, in the end, gave that movie its historical backbone. Simple and well thought outlittle bit!!!

Well Britannia doesn't have a toenail in the water to match any showing of any historical stuff, and the fiction is not even partially well done, its a fairy tale.

As I said, I will finish it off, stupidly I've gone to far to not see what it is meant to be, but I have no idea what the last episode was all about , I'm as confused as some of the characters getting lost in continual scenes of gallivanting through ancient English Forests???

Where the hell is the Roman story, where are the Iceni people, and Caltraith or Colchester, or the 9th Legion?
Nah this show is not historical fiction, its a magical fairy tale, posing as quality and advertised as such!
But any quality is lost on me, and if they are making season 3, then I think I will just leave it alone, because if the writers and producers do come back with something that makes sense, I'll still remember the two seasons of crap I wasted my time on!

Writing/direction

Acting/casting
Good - Mackenzie Crook, Kelly Reilly, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Eleanor Worthington-Cox.​
Bad - everyone else​

Episodes
1 was bad for an intro, then a few more stinkers, 6 was good, 7 horrible, 9 good to go out on.​
Theme tune
Donovan doesn't sit right.​

The bloke wandering around with his sisters head, looks like some dummer out of a sixtees band!!!! Sunshine Superman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I watched it to the end of season two. Out of curiosity, and it appears I was right, I have no idea what the hell is going on the Veran bloke kills his brother the wanders off to the base of the big hill with the big fort on top, the nutty professor the "guardian" now the arrow , thinks he's a pea brain, and the Veran or Vera I think I'll call him. Has gone of with the idea I guess that the druids are finished , so we all know how long Rome established itself in that place, for several hundred years I believe.
Historical fiction ? NO! Game of Thrones was better, this show is not an historical fiction presentation. Its a load of bad jokes, and it appears that I and only I commented much on the crappy thing, but gee did anybody finish season 2, what a waste of money for the producers.

I loved Donavan , no no no, not Ray, although I love that show, but season of the witch and sunshine superman and no story involved at all, unless the girl is the Boadicea of history, but hell how would you know. Boadicea well if she was the chosen one, then she sure as hell should have gotten rifd of that idiot Guardian right from the start! And her poor old blind dad, it's crap TV folks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back