FTA-TV British Comedies

Remove this Banner Ad

Fleabag, The IT crowd, Thick of it and The In-betweeners are some good modern Brit comedies. I dare say Fleabag may well go on to be a classic.

A topic I was discussing with a friend recently, what do we put down the absolute lack of quality comedy coming out of that country in the last decade or so? (Fleabag the only real exception)

Papa G has a great list there, but they are almost exclusively 2000-2009 (previous decade).

Previously, they couldn't miss!

Does “Still Open All Hours” hold up against the original?

yes and no, I mean I enjoy it but it’s not as funny as the original.

i do like the carpet though. It’s also centered less around the shop and more around the homes of his customers as well.

would recommended giving it go.

Most of the British comedy I like feels incredibly intertwined with the same handful of people.

Starting with Brass Eye and The Day Today. From there you have Armando Iannucci who creates The Thick of It. Jesse Armstrong works on that show, he co-creates Peep Show starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, and from there you go back a bit and you wind up with Bruiser, which isn't a great sketch show but involves Ricky Gervais, Matt Holness and Richard Ayoade. And now you can draw connections to The Office, Extras, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd (which links you back to Brass Eye through Chris Morris) and then it's not a stretch to get to Black Books, Spaced, Snuff Box, Toast of London, Alan Partridge.

Britain always seems so small when I think about it like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A topic I was discussing with a friend recently, what do we put down the absolute lack of quality comedy coming out of that country in the last decade or so? (Fleabag the only real exception)

Papa G has a great list there, but they are almost exclusively 2000-2009 (previous decade).

Previously, they couldn't miss!

Still been good comedy coming out after 2009.

The Detectorists for one stands up against most comedy shows of any era.

Then there's Toast of London, Man Down, White Gold, Friday Night Dinner . Plus many of the shows that started a bit earlier were still running.

I think the difference is now British Coedmy doesn't get promoted or pushed as much as it once did on our commercial stations.

Then there's Toast of London, Man Down, White Gold, Friday Night Dinner . Plus many of the shows that started a bit earlier were still running.

I think the difference is now British Coedmy doesn't get promoted or pushed as much as it once did on our commercial stations.

Commercial stations? I think all of the ones I listed have been on the ABC. Commercial stations have generally done the tacky crap ones like Mrs Browns Boys, Some Mother do ave em or Are You Being Served, but the proper good ones have almost exclusively been on the ABC.

Commercial stations? I think all of the ones I listed have been on the ABC. Commercial stations have generally done the tacky crap ones like Mrs Browns Boys, Some Mother do ave em or Are You Being Served, but the proper good ones have almost exclusively been on the ABC.

ABC is still part of the free to air market.

Are You Being Served was on the ABC decades before it was on any commercial station.

Mate with all due respect, none of those shows are in the same ballpark as the ones previously mentioned in this thread.

British Comedies have never been promoted or pushed on the commercial stations. They have almost all been shown on the ABC, courtesy of the re-transmission rights deal between the ABC & BBC.

British Comedies have never been promoted or pushed on the commercial stations. They have almost all been shown on the ABC, courtesy of the re-transmission rights deal between the ABC & BBC.

False.

A great deal of the 70's/80's English comedies appeared on commercial TV stations.

Only Fools and Horses, Minder, Are You Being Served, One the Buses, Love Thy Neighbour, George and Mildred, Mind Your Language to name a few were all on commercial TV.

False.

A great deal of the 70's/80's English comedies appeared on commercial TV stations.

Only Fools and Horses, Minder, Are You Being Served, One the Buses, Love Thy Neighbour, George and Mildred, Mind Your Language to name a few were all on commercial TV.
Yes, they were on commercial TV - decades after they first appeared on the ABC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back