FTA-TV British Comedies

Remove this Banner Ad

Is It Bill Bailey? and The Peter Serafinowicz Show are two basically unknown gems. You can catch them on YouTube.

Year of the Rabbit is one recent British comedy that can hold it's own with the great British comedies of the nineties and noughties.

Matt Berry of Mighty Boosh and IT Crowd fame stars as Detective Inspector Rabbit and there's a lot of humour to be derived from the 1880s London setting.

They showed the first episode on the ABC comedy channel last week and there were some very funny moments like Rabbit trying to ride a new fangled bicycle and falling off because he didn't know how to pedal it.

David Dawson playing the Elephant Man as a foppish theatrical dandy is hilarious too.

Year of the Rabbit is one recent British comedy that can hold it's own with the great British comedies of the nineties and noughties.

Matt Berry of Mighty Boosh and IT Crowd fame stars as Detective Inspector Rabbit and there's a lot of humour to be derived from the 1880s London setting.

They showed the first episode on the ABC comedy channel last week and there were some very funny moments like Rabbit trying to ride a new fangled bicycle and falling off because he didn't know how to pedal it.

David Dawson playing the Elephant Man as a foppish theatrical dandy is hilarious too.

“Black currant! What the hell have you done?!“. Ah gees I go to search this one out.

I watched the first episode the other night. It was okay to good. I just can't imagine Berry ever doing a character better than Douglas Reynholm.

I watched the first episode the other night. It was okay to good. I just can't imagine Berry ever doing a character better than Douglas Reynholm.

Every character Matt Berry does is Douglas Reynholm, tbf.

Personally think his peak is Todd Rivers though.

I wasn't a huge fan of the IT Crowd but I'm a huge fan of Matt Berry and he made it worth watching with that character, hence my avatar.

Just about every British comedy Matt Berry has been in over the last 20 years has been quality which is why Year of the Rabbit piqued my interest.

The shortlived Snuff Box with Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher is one of the funniest sketch shows I've seen.

I always liked 'One Foot In The Grave', starring Richard Wilson as the irascible Victor Meldrew and Annette Crosbie as his long-suffering wife Margaret. Victor used to get so grumpy and didn't suffer fools gladly, but fools always seemed to find their way to Victor Meldrew. His catch phrase was 'I don't believe it!' when many bizarre things happened, such as the time Victor ordered a garden gnome from a catalogue with a product code of 467, only for 467 garden gnomes to be delivered. Angus Deyton, Janine Djuveski and Owen Brenman did a great job in the roles of the Meldrew's neighbors, and Dorren Mantle as Mrs. Meldrew's friend Mrs. Warboys was hilarious. I liked one when the Meldrews went out for afternoon tea with Mrs. Warboys and her brother, a disabled man in a wheelchair who could only communicate by typing on a computer which would then repeat what he had typed in a mechanical voice. Victor complained that 'it was like having afternoon tea with a Dalek'.

Another show I loved growing up was 'The Young Ones'. A friend about my age tried to get his own teenage kids interested in the show by showing them the DVD's but they said it was 'stupid' and 'boring' and treated the whole exercise as torture. Maybe 'The Young Ones' only appeals to Generation X, younger Baby Boomers and older Generation Y?

The Young Ones was amazing when it first came out but I don't think it's aged well. Ditto The Goodies.

Ali G / Little Britain were ok at first but suffered from recycling the same material over and over.

Then there's Toast of London, Man Down, White Gold, Friday Night Dinner . Plus many of the shows that started a bit earlier were still running.

Man Down and White Gold had some good laughs but are very far from being in the classic territory.

I actually thought White Gold, whilst being funny, was a fairly average show actually. It was also kind of jarring seeing two of the main blokes from the Inbetweeners playing essentially the exact same characters again.

Man Down was great when Rik Mayall was still involved though.

I wasn't a big fan of the Young Ones but it was 10 years before my time, I was a big Bottom fan in the early 90s though.

Bottom was Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson at their peak, a great comedy duo.

I haven't thought of Bottom in years. I always liked Eddie's idea of having a pint secreted in his coat, ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't a huge fan of the IT Crowd but I'm a huge fan of Matt Berry and he made it worth watching with that character, hence my avatar.

Just about every British comedy Matt Berry has been in over the last 20 years has been quality which is why Year of the Rabbit piqued my interest.

The shortlived Snuff Box with Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher is one of the funniest sketch shows I've seen.

Have you seen him in What we do in the Shadows series?

In sad news corona got Tim Brooke-Taylor

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

Vale Tim Brooke-Taylor .
The Goodies is a timeless classic, admittedly some stuff has aged poorly (just watched the episode The End where Bill dressed up as a Black Face Muslim) and their depiction of Aborigines at the very least must have been considered in poor/bad taste back then, but television was a lot differently culturally 40 odd years ago.
Have to chuckle at all the Rolf Harris bits, even back then they took the piss out of him, must have known there was something really creepy about the geezer.

The episode Gender Education where they took the piss out of Viewers Association Battleaxe Mary Whitehouse, who made weekly complaints about sexual content in several shows and violent content like Doctor Who, was brilliant.

And Kitten Long has to be one of the very best episodes of television the BBC has ever produced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back