British doctor claims he doped 150 sports stars

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.bbc.com/sport/36005877

"Ukad had absolutely no reason to not investigate Dr Bonar. They had every reason to investigate the doctor, they were given prescriptions that the doctor had produced - those prescriptions included the doctor's GMC registration number.

"They were prescribed via British chemists. Ukad have got absolutely no excuse for not investigating this, and that is a massive concern.

"It's horrendous. It's diabolical. And I don't think it's by accident either.

"I think the public tone doesn't want whistleblowers and I think behind closed doors the objective is not to have those whistleblowers."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/36005877

"Ukad had absolutely no reason to not investigate Dr Bonar. They had every reason to investigate the doctor, they were given prescriptions that the doctor had produced - those prescriptions included the doctor's GMC registration number.

"They were prescribed via British chemists. Ukad have got absolutely no excuse for not investigating this, and that is a massive concern.

"It's horrendous. It's diabolical. And I don't think it's by accident either.

"I think the public tone doesn't want whistleblowers and I think behind closed doors the objective is not to have those whistleblowers."
Yep - which is why I was a little bemused with WADA's official statement as well.

I wonder if this will happen in a country like the UK, or if this is just the politicising of the anti-doping debate, at a time when Cameron needs a good distraction or two?
Logistically from a legal stand-point, seems a difficult one to enforce - although there are more countries now considering going down this path - including good old Oz apparently?(see last paragraphs, don't remember that slipping through a senate committee hearing!!):confused:

Maybe we need Turnbull and some others to have a few Panama Papers in their respective filing cabinets at home, then we might get to play "jail the doper and their supplier", too.:)

Cameron Plans To Make Doping In Sport A Criminal Offence
Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron is making plans to make doping in sport a criminal offence in time for the World Athletics Championships in London next year.
However, Justice Department Officials believe it would be impossible to enforce prosecution of athletes, especially with Russian athletes. Justice Department officials argued that they have little hope of getting an athlete in court and cited the example of Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko who could not be brought to justice after he was poisoned in 2006. The extradition of chief suspects Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun was denied by Russian president Vladimir Putin.
A Whitehall source remarked there has been a big row between Culture and Justice over this. But the PM is siding with DCMS and wants a new law by next year. PM Cameron was hoping to make an announcement at his International Anti-Corruption summit next month but Whitehall sources said the bust-up means this will not be possible.
WADA remarked sanctions are enough and it is against criminalization. Australia, New Zealand, Italy, France, and Spain are some countries that have already outlawed doping.

The law that would follow similar legislation in countries like Australia, New Zealand, Spain, and France could see athletes who cheat being sent to prison. Athletes who are caught in Austria face three years in prison under specific sports fraud laws. In Italy, athletes who make use of banned performance enhancing drugs and back-up staff who supply such drugs face imprisonment of up to three years.

Well theres no accounting for ignorance, I guess.

I just expected more from the clean sport warriors.
If it were a sport I was invested in, you'd have more outrage. AFL is my passion, I couldn't care less about soccer, or tennis, or rugby or athletics. Gave up on all Olympic sports after Ben Johnson.

I wonder if this will happen in a country like the UK, or if this is just the politicising of the anti-doping debate, at a time when Cameron needs a good distraction or two?
Logistically from a legal stand-point, seems a difficult one to enforce - although there are more countries now considering going down this path - including good old Oz apparently?(see last paragraphs, don't remember that slipping through a senate committee hearing!!):confused:

Maybe we need Turnbull and some others to have a few Panama Papers in their respective filing cabinets at home, then we might get to play "jail the doper and their supplier", too.:)

Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron is making plans to make doping in sport a criminal offence in time for the World Athletics Championships in London next year.
However, Justice Department Officials believe it would be impossible to enforce prosecution of athletes, especially with Russian athletes. Justice Department officials argued that they have little hope of getting an athlete in court and cited the example of Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko who could not be brought to justice after he was poisoned in 2006. The extradition of chief suspects Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun was denied by Russian president Vladimir Putin.
A Whitehall source remarked there has been a big row between Culture and Justice over this. But the PM is siding with DCMS and wants a new law by next year. PM Cameron was hoping to make an announcement at his International Anti-Corruption summit next month but Whitehall sources said the bust-up means this will not be possible.
WADA remarked sanctions are enough and it is against criminalization. Australia, New Zealand, Italy, France, and Spain are some countries that have already outlawed doping.

The law that would follow similar legislation in countries like Australia, New Zealand, Spain, and France could see athletes who cheat being sent to prison. Athletes who are caught in Austria face three years in prison under specific sports fraud laws. In Italy, athletes who make use of banned performance enhancing drugs and back-up staff who supply such drugs face imprisonment of up to three years.
We have? Austria or us? Has New Zealand?

If it were a sport I was invested in, you'd have more outrage. AFL is my passion, I couldn't care less about soccer, or tennis, or rugby or athletics. Gave up on all Olympic sports after Ben Johnson.

interesting tidbit here jenny. Did you know that youve made 60 posts on the fact you dont watch the olympics anymore.

I admire your tenacity and consistency.

I flop all over the joint and cant remember if I like men or women.

But i do love toast.

As usual for some people, it is about nasty hypocrites just complaining because they hate Essendon. Not that Essendon did their level best to * the sport and blame anyone but themselves.

Reframing the argument and reasoning to take the heat off. Nice try but no cigar.

interesting tidbit here jenny. Did you know that youve made 60 posts on the fact you dont watch the olympics anymore.

I admire your tenacity and consistency.

I flop all over the joint and cant remember if I like men or women.

But i do love toast.
You did a search for that? o_O

How many times have you mentioned toast? Or dumplings? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well for me I've got a knot in the stomach. I have invested myself emotionally in Leicester this season. If it turns out their players are dirty it'll be a kick in the guts.

Good, and make it a criminal offence in Australia as well? for us Essendon fans at least?

Don't really see why needs to be a criminal issue TBH. I get that you could equate it to fraud in business (especially considering how big the business of sport is these days), but such laws are probably reflective of the over-importance we place on sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back